Video Game thread XIII: Knights of the Bro Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've actually never done that, how does it work?

EDIT: Oh wait, I've got a PS3...I think that matters?

I'm not sure how it works with a PS3. I assume you can do it though...

Basically what you'd be doing is going to your game library while the disk is in and you're on the dashboard (or whatever the home screen is called for a PS3), and you'll install it there. It will take up about 7 GB of HDD space, but these days space isn't hard to come by so that's usually not an issue.

What it'll do is it will stop your console from spinning the disk because it will all be on the HDD instead. You'll still need the disk though as a verification. When it's on there, benefits range from shorter load times, crisper motion, and just a bunch of small details when playing the game. It's also a ton better on your system because it doesn't work it so hard, so it will prevent it from overheating or damaging the disk.

u2popmofo said:
Bethesda games notoriously run poorly on PS3.

The graphics are phenomenal for a game of this scope. You can't go into an unbelievably massive game like this expecting the same graphics you'd get in a tiny corridor shooter like Uncharted or Gears.
Well, yeah, exactly, hopefully I didn't come of as suggesting I actually expected close-up graphics to be astounding, lol.
IWasBored said:
do not tempt me.

since i quit playing wow, and have another month before star wars...

tempting indeed.

what i really need to do is finish mass effect, since i haven't yet and have spent my non-wow-playing time reading books. i should be quiet, talk like that will get me thrown out of the game thread.
they've incorporated some WoW-like things into this game. Come ooooooonnnnn.

LuckyNumber7 said:
I'm not sure how it works with a PS3. I assume you can do it though...

Basically what you'd be doing is going to your game library while the disk is in and you're on the dashboard (or whatever the home screen is called for a PS3), and you'll install it there. It will take up about 7 GB of HDD space, but these days space isn't hard to come by so that's usually not an issue.

What it'll do is it will stop your console from spinning the disk because it will all be on the HDD instead. You'll still need the disk though as a verification. When it's on there, benefits range from shorter load times, crisper motion, and just a bunch of small details when playing the game. It's also a ton better on your system because it doesn't work it so hard, so it will prevent it from overheating or damaging the disk.
Any one with a PS3 that can tell me if this can be done, and how?

they've incorporated some WoW-like things into this game. Come ooooooonnnnn.

:lol:

like the farming/gathering stuff you mentioned? but that's what i hate about wow (and am pretty psyched about being able to alleviate some of that by sending my companions off to get stuff for me in swtor).

seriously though, that game does look awesome, and i do enjoy me some rpg (ok, that's pretty much the only genre of game i play). plus, it is available for pc...so i won't have to wage war with my housemate's xbox (console controllers and i do not get along well)...so possibly next pay day. :shifty:

I'm not getting a new computer until next month, so SWTOR is going to have to wait:(, but I hope you jump on the Skyrim bandwagon!

Yeah... fine detail isn't there on the micro (as you would see with most Bethesda Studios games). However, an exception there would be the facial structures and characters. They were well done, and the motions are much more real than in previous Bethesda titles, especially Oblivion.

But on the macro... much like all of their previous releases... extraordinary.

I agree; the animation is what I'm so impressed about, more than the graphics (which are still really nice). It makes Oblivion look like a puppet show.

bono, I really don't think installing to an HD can be done for a PS3, I've got Skyrim for the PS3 too. Have yet to hear about that ability being possible for any PS3 game, only for the 360.

I think the only serious charge I can lob at Skyrim is a lack of characterization through NPCs and the companion system. The game is otherwise a near flawless execution of ambition and technical prowess, (I adore the skybox, and I've spent hours staring at Throat Of The World) but the utter silence/lack of involvement my +1s have had narratively is a little annoying. I wish they'd simply restricted the possibilities to 3 simple mage/archery and thief/melee character options and programmed in witty repartee, because Lydia's utter lack of speech is seriously disturbing me.

That said, after doing the quest for Jurgen Stormcaller (?)'s horn and being led astray all the way to Solitude because I didn't understand how to use Clairvoyence, I followed the Quest path back to Riverwood and discovered the Labrynthian Pass through the mountains. After fighting off 3 Frost Trolls, I just about shit a brick when I emerged into the tundra around Whiterun Hold to discover a dragon circling the mountain above Dustman's Cairn. I was too far away for it to pick me up, but the feeling of slowly plodding across the tundra while knowing it would take just a matter of seconds for the Dragon to reach me was just amazing. Of course, all the dragons I've faced thus far have been a bit weak, but the signature cry and circling pattern have always been enough to scare me thus far.

Premature review: if I believed in ranking on a 10 point scale, I think Skyrim would be the quintessential 9/10 game. Very, very good, with just a few minor demerits. A few moments of sound design chaos where everyone's tried to talk over one another because I moved the cursor around the screen, a few brief instances of ~10 fps in cities, the aforementioned silence from companions, and some stray bugs have marred the experience ever ever so slightly.

I lost my companion:(. I told her to wait in Isengard, and now I can't remember where exactly I left her.

I just got the first shout (yes I enjoy this game very, very slowly).

Now off to join the Thieves Guild. And then the Dark Brotherhood. My two favorite parts of Oblivion.

I'm not getting a new computer until next month, so SWTOR is going to have to wait:(, but I hope you jump on the Skyrim bandwagon!

oh, the bandwagon is calling. it's just going to have to wait til next week.

swtor's not out til dec 20th anyway.

The PS3 loads game data onto the harddrive automatically. You still need to have the disk in to play, but it only stores the necessary files on the harddrive to make the game run optimally. Having the entire disk on the harddrive would make no difference to the performance, so there is no option. It efficiently saves hard drive space

Does the disk still spin while the game is running? If so... it's only a partial download in which case the system is still reading from the disk.

Which will translate to slower times.

It's my understanding that it'd be increasingly difficult to save a Blu Ray game, which I know nothing about.

I'm pretty far in Uncharted 3 now. What an awesome game! Hands down game of the year for me at this point

Between the two games that I've got in hand, Skyrim blows MW3 out of the park. MW3 is great fun with friends, but as with MW2 I can't play it alone.

Skyrim... I don't want anyone to bother me while I'm playing :lol:

Solo...I re-rented Skyrim...pretty sure I'm never going to have to buy this game if the video store keeps giving me discounts.

I haven't seen that happen yet, but once when I tried to mount my horse, I instead turned into the horse and could ride around as him.

So I can't figure out if this is my controller, the game, or a glitch in the game.

Whenever I attempt to unlock high level locks the first time it will work but if I fail about two or three times the lockpicks immediately break when I put them in the keyhole. Either my controller's R-stick is ever so slightly unaligned, the game punishes you for failing, or it's a glitch. I dunno... but if it were my controller I think I'd notice a slight motion of my character when not touching the controller.

I haven't had that problem, myself. Are you being super gentle when you turn the right stick?

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's my controller because it keeps happening. A way to fix it is to get off the lockpicking, shake my controller sticks, and go back at it.

On another interesting tidbit... a dragon appeared in an outdoor town. Best part about it? I didn't do anything to it to kill it. All of the town minus the one invincible NPC were killed in the fight. There was also a giant in the fight. It was a three-for-all.

Happened to me as well, but the dragon died outside the city and I never found it, so, no soul...

I've had that lockpick ssue sometimes too, LN7. I don't mind it, as I've got such a stockpile of lockpicks at this point, breaking a few just means that it will increase the leveling of the skill. :wink:

Alright so it's probably the game then, and not my controller. Or a mixture of both? Perhaps the game has ridiculously high sensitivity with the lockpicking system.

Also, I'm the biggest alchemist whore ever. I collect every last ingredient and store it in my house. Probably will be the first skill to 100 for me.

I do too, then I make a ridiculous amount of potions and immediately go sell them all. I'm sitting at over 10,000 gold constantly because of it. Alchemy and Smithing seem to level extremely quickly. Smithing especially.

Some Hired Thugs came after me for stealing Frost and killed me about four times. The guards said "This oughta be good" and walked away. Is that how they treat the Thane of Whiterun? :tsk: Also, I'm at level 10 and have started seeing trolls and bears, which kill me in three hits and are really fast. I'm currently in the process of climbing the 7,000 Steps and it turns out that there really are 7,000 steps. I have one Shout, Unrelenting Force, which is lame and doesn't do any good. I had to fill in for someone at work this week, so I have only played 11 hours in Skyrim; this will be soon remedied.

Some Hired Thugs came after me for stealing Frost and killed me about four times. The guards said "This oughta be good" and walked away. Is that how they treat the Thane of Whiterun? :tsk: Also, I'm at level 10 and have started seeing trolls and bears, which kill me in three hits and are really fast. I'm currently in the process of climbing the 7,000 Steps and it turns out that there really are 7,000 steps. I have one Shout, Unrelenting Force, which is lame and doesn't do any good. I had to fill in for someone at work this week, so I have only played 11 hours in Skyrim; this will be soon remedied.

:lol: 'is this how they treat the Thane of Whiterun'. Love it.

If you want to know how to fight something that's too powerful for you, look for a river and play games with them. They wont swim after you. At least... properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom