The Android Invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
omfg. i want this. as tempting as it is to preorder to get it next week, i'll probably just wait until january when i'm actually in the states.

As usual, the phone part is international, but I'm not sure if the data bands are international... at the very least it won't be high speed. The international version of the phone is called the Desire Z.

i don't have any problems getting 3g connectivity on my g1...

though i must admit, getting the overseas version is pretty tempting as it comes with sense instead. :hmm:

Well I could be wrong although I did see a couple of people saying that. Who has what 3G bands always confuses me. :)

I like that the U.S. G2 does NOT have Sense installed - the updates will come very quickly and there's always apps to do what these UI's do. It seems like it's more the successor to the Nexus One rather than the G1, like this was going to be the Nexus Two before Google decided to get out of the direct phone marketing game. :)

I use sense on the Evo. I wish we had the option to choose between Sense and the Vanilla (OG Android Stock) I would choose Android stock over sense. Sense seems to slow the phone down after a while.

Well I could be wrong although I did see a couple of people saying that. Who has what 3G bands always confuses me. :)

I like that the U.S. G2 does NOT have Sense installed - the updates will come very quickly and there's always apps to do what these UI's do. It seems like it's more the successor to the Nexus One rather than the G1, like this was going to be the Nexus Two before Google decided to get out of the direct phone marketing game. :)
it's totally believable that all countries don't use the same 3g band, so i might've just lucked out and not had that problem here. however, it was a pain to be able to use data at all, i had to tweak some settings.

and i'm not sure whether i'd prefer sense or...is it froyo? sense definitely looks nice, but i need to see if i can find a list of what sense can do that froyo can't. otherwise i might just get it here and do the opposite of what i've been doing.

Froyo is just an operating system update. Sense is HTC putting their own custom apps/widgets plus operation system skin over the stock Android. Froyo allows you save apps to your SD card (if the developer allows it) its supposed to improve battery life and boost the processor. One of the future operating system updates allows you to download or stream your entire non-drm music from your computer to your phone via cloud.

All I know is this is the last time I'm buying a phone when it first comes out. As much as I've enjoyed my Android, and mostly it's probably Motorola's fault, it's taken forever for them to update Android, to the point where they're probably never going to update it again. Completely just forgot about the phone as soon as it came out. And now, dropping the thing from the couch to my dad's hardwood floor has apparently destroyed the very left edge of the screen so now I can't do anything with it pretty much. Very frustrated, probably going to move back to Blackberry when the opportunity presents.

it's totally believable that all countries don't use the same 3g band, so i might've just lucked out and not had that problem here. however, it was a pain to be able to use data at all, i had to tweak some settings.

if a phone is advertised as being tri-band (although it seems to have been a common feature in phones forever, especially smart phones that people should expect to be using in other countries), it'll pretty much work anywhere.

i think it's so stock standard now it doesn't even get a mention in advertising.

All I know is this is the last time I'm buying a phone when it first comes out. As much as I've enjoyed my Android, and mostly it's probably Motorola's fault, it's taken forever for them to update Android, to the point where they're probably never going to update it again. Completely just forgot about the phone as soon as it came out. And now, dropping the thing from the couch to my dad's hardwood floor has apparently destroyed the very left edge of the screen so now I can't do anything with it pretty much. Very frustrated, probably going to move back to Blackberry when the opportunity presents.

That has been my problem as well - it IS Motorola's fault, and that dang MotoBlur. Which is why I jumped on the G2 when I found I still could get a partial discount even though I'm only 10 months into my contract.

if a phone is advertised as being tri-band (although it seems to have been a common feature in phones forever, especially smart phones that people should expect to be using in other countries), it'll pretty much work anywhere.

i think it's so stock standard now it doesn't even get a mention in advertising.
true. i think the first phone i got when i switch to t-mobile in 02 was a tri-band, which also advertised wonderful features like polyphonic ringtones and uh...idk.

i nearly died of laughing when i saw a store advertising a phone with features like a polyphonic ringtone and an alarm recently, and actually expected people to pay for the phone.

Well my G2 actually arrived on Thursday and I got to setting it up today. And I love it! This thing is FAST...and I'm not even talking about just the internet (can't wait to use it when I'm in HSPA+ territory), just everything it does is fast. And it's sturdy and screen clarity is nice, this is a keeper! Plays flash video and everything. Still putting it through some of its paces (like battery life) but, so far, excellent phone.

And now half of my screen doesn't work. This is just lovely.

It appears that I'm already eligible for an upgrade, so I'm *assuming* Travis' is good to go next month. As long as the phone holds out for me until then, it's getting replaced.

I really liked the Motoblur software and the multiple menu screens. I know nothing about any of the other Android phones, what's the closest to this one?

I might just go back to Blackberry though...this was a trial run after all, an expensive one at that, and it was kind of an epic fail.

And OMG the Motocharm is the ugliest phone I've ever seen.

If this is true, then Apple Better watch out!

The PlayStation Phone -- Engadget

The PlayStation Phone (With Android)

It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform. The device snapped up top (and in our gallery below) is sporting a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster), 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and the screen is in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches. Looking almost identical to the mockup we hit you with this summer, the handset does indeed have a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, and you can see in the photos that it's still bearing those familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. For Sony buffs, you'll be interested to know that there's no Memory Stick slot here, but there is support for microSD cards.

The particular model in these shots is still in prototyping mode. As such, the unit doesn't have a custom skin (not even SE's Timescape design seen on the Xperia devices), and is said to be rather buggy. We're digging into more facts as we speak, but it's likely that much of what we reported earlier is still accurate, and though the device could still be headed for a 2010 release, 2011 is looking much more realistic. Still, there's a lot of time between now and the holidays... so keep your fingers crossed!

*puts new phone purchase on hold*

Nah, I mean, it's tempting, but 1) I hate Sony Ericsson phones and 2) I'm never buying the first version of a phone again.

Anyone reading up on the CES convention? So many Android Devices coming out this year. From new phones to Tablets. Damn I want the OS 3.0 Honeycomb.

Is that only (for now) going to be with tablets or is it going to be on newer model phones as well? A friend and I were arguing about this the other day.

I can't see most of Honeycomb's unveiled features being useful on a phone, but they will probably have slightly altered versions like Apple does with iOS.

I haven't looked much into it, I'm just kind of surprised they'd call it 3.0 if it's not for the cell phones themselves. I'd think it'd be referred to by something else.

Anyways, that fucking awful Moto Cliq finally broke, don't know if I mentioned that in this thread. So, what am I going to do for a new phone? Stick with Andriod? Sure. Stick with Motorola? Eh, why not, I've used Moto phones almost my entire cell phone life and that was the first one to be that godawful. Getting the Moto Defy next week.

Got the Samsung Transform the other day and damn, it feels good to have a smartphone. Had to get an app-killer app to close the processes since my battery life leaves a little to be desired, but it's all good now.

Do Android OS upgrades come out like Apple's iOS or are you stuck with it as long as you have your phone?

They are available at the carrier's discretion and if they're compatible with your phone, it's a mess really, phones get left behind a lot quicker than with Apple.

Personally I had always been a Samsung user until I needed a new phone last September, I'm a Mac and iPad user and the iPhone 4's design was really tempting, but then Samsung came out with the Galaxy S line and the contracts with any other smart phone are lighter on the wallet, so I was tempted by the Captivate. That is until I found out the GPS was essentially useless on that phone. Then I found the HTC Aria, and it really is the perfect smartphone for me, it's fully featured but it's so muc smaller than every other bulky slab phone, and as someone who keeps their phone in their pocket, smaller was better. The only thing that let me down was the camera quality, oh well I have plenty of high resolution cameras. So I guess I have a mobile computing rivalry going on in my life being an iOS and Android user.

I can't see most of Honeycomb's unveiled features being useful on a phone, but they will probably have slightly altered versions like Apple does with iOS.

I was reading that Honeycomb will likely be just for tablets, but that Ice Cream will have tablet and phone versions. And that there may be a 2.4 Gingerbread update around summertime that may incorporate a few Honeycomb-ish tweaks on phones.

Wow there are so many new Android devices being launched it's crazy. Verizon seems to be getting the bulk of them. They are getting the HTC Thunderbolt, and now the Xperia with PSP built in so you can download PSP games and play them on your device.

There is also the Xoom by Motorla coming out with Honeycomb which blows the ipad out of the water, the only issue I have with the Xoom is the price!!! 1199.99 are they crazy!

So, I haven't actually got my new phone yet, but I AM buying it tomorrow. Trying to choose between the MyTouch 4G and the Moto Cliq 2 (I know, I know lol). Advice?

So, I haven't actually got my new phone yet, but I AM buying it tomorrow. Trying to choose between the MyTouch 4G and the Moto Cliq 2 (I know, I know lol). Advice?

Argh...given Motorola's track record of (not) updating phones not named Droid, I'd go with the MyTouch 4G.

I'd go with the G2 myself (and did, and am very very happy with it... :D)

Back
Top Bottom