Free PC vs. Half-price MacBook Pro? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:37 AM
It's got nothing to do with it being a PC or a Mac. It's a hardware matter and an energy matter. Computers are high wattage equipment, you're probably spending a good $200 or $300 a year on your computer being on.

The hardware aspect of it [just my assumption] is that you dont want to put too much stress on your computer, causing the processor's cooling fan to be overworked and potentially in the long haul break down (and Mac's and PCs both run on the same exact Intel processors). Specifically with laptops, overheating can cause your motherboard to warp (such as in the case with XBOX 360's, a major design flaw on those that cost Microsoft big time).

It's not something that would slow the computer down, it's a problem you'll run into down the road.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I know nothing about computers so it would be nice for somebody who does to explain to me why anytime I had a PC laptop (Windows OS), I would have to format the computer maybe once a year because it became so unbearably slow and chuggy. And no, I didn't have malware on it, but it inevitably always happens. With any desktop I've had as well.

Meanwhile I've had my Mac for over 2 years now, use it the same way as I did my PC laptops (mostly browsing, use of Microsoft Office, iTunes, some photo processing and minor video editing) and it runs the same way as the day I bought it. No joke. Boots up as fast, opens programs as fast, etc. I have never, EVER had a PC like that. And I've had some extraordinarily high-end PCs in my day, and they were just as bad.
Not sure, I've never had to reformat mine other than doing OS upgrades. My current PC was mid-range when I got it 4 years ago (actually still better than the lower-end PCs being sold currently) and it's gone from Windows XP to Vista to Windows 7 so I've installed/reinstalled the OS three times. This PC is slowing down because I'm starting to work with huge vector files and the PC is maxed out (can't add anything more to it to help), but it doesn't freeze or slow down doing 90% of what I do.

My Mac on the other hand is the slowest of all my computers at the moment, and I did reimage it to see if that would help but not really. I get that pinwheel anytime I need to do anything, like just loading an app or opening a file. It takes a while to start up and sometimes just stalls. I've installed CS4 or CS5 on the PCs instead. The 4 year old PC running an OS it was not designed to run starts up twice as fast as the Snow Leopard Mac.

Windows Vista is like the Windows ME of this decade.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
I guess I hadn't really thought about spending the same extra 500 I'd put into a Mac into a better pc instead. I'd only come from the angle of trying to decide whether it was worth spending money on making the jump (and then only for a base model) versus getting something essentially for "free." If I had the money, I'd probably make the jump and go for a high-end MBP. Not having the benefit of $1800-2200, it may indeed make more sense to put the money into a $1200 pc.

I hate these stupid decisions.
I think it will boil down to personal preference. If you really want the Mac, get the Mac. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it given what you've stated it's for. The base model would not really get me anywhere but you don't need that much power and speed.

If you get the Mac, you will not go wrong with the build/form-factor and be getting a great LCD. If you want more power and juice, then use the extra $600 to get a PC actually worth getting.

I use both OS' all day every day, so I'm not enamored with OS X enough to spend more and get half as much. I don't care about the screen (I already have other computers and screens, including a large Mac desktop, and actually the computer I'm getting has a full high-def radiance screen available), I don't care about the OS, and I don't care about the Mac form-factor as long as I have a computer that's not made of plastic, so I'll take the money and get the faster processor, faster hard drive, and better graphics card (oh and double the warranty with no added cost). It's an easier decision for me b/c of my job I already have other computers at my disposal including iMac, MB, MBP, and enhanced PC desktops.

There's pros and cons either way, right down to each spec. For example I'm getting the i7 quad core processor, and not the base model either, so I already know my new computer will use more power and run hotter. But, battery life has never really been a priority for me and my current laptop runs super hot (which I like in the winter when the house is 60). For other people the heat drives them nuts or they need 6+ hours of battery life.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:37 AM
so what's the advantage of having an aluminum case? Is it more durable? Lightweight? Doesn't get hot?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Durable, doesn't break/snap as easily, metal vs. plastic. Also, I just like the "look" better.

We had someone come in with his MBP, the entire laptop was bent to a curve. It was still working fine, the reason he brought it in was b/c of the bend, he couldn't get an overdue DVD out of the slot drive. He had it in his backpack when he slipped on the ice, fell backward onto it (and was carrying a child, running to the emergency room). No "issues" other than the bend. Now I love my little PC and all but it would have cracked to pieces and the LCD destroyed if that happened.

Heat has more to do with the processor and the fan configuration. I'm getting an i7 inside a 14" thin laptop so I expect it to run hot.