even newer apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Macbook Pro is definitely the choice for big-boy, heavy-lifting design work like image editing, video editing, etc. And with as much RAM as you can chuck in it for raster and vector editing like you're going to be working on.

Macbook Air is good as a portable but I wouldn't want it as my main computer unless I was solely writing content or programming for a living.

yeah, if i were deciding between a pro and an air, i'd go with the pro. to me i'd consider the air to be like an alternative to a netbook: you still get the bigger screen of a laptop but it's at the expense of the cd/dvd drive.

So much for iphone4 batteries lasting four days... mine barely lasts a day and a half now.
yikes! how much do you use the phone, though? i usually find though that battery life in things is always a bit of an exaggeration (unless it's in a review when they can sometimes be a bit more realistic about things). it's like the estimated mileage of vehicles (at least in america), they always say it's more than it really is because your average person doesn't use them the way the testers did.

though your iphone still beats my current phone which has like...five minutes of power now?

I got the new Macbook Pro about 10 days ago and still haven't unpacked it...oops. Will do so tomorrow.

Do any of you use those hard cases? Speck, I think is the brand?

I got the new Macbook Pro about 10 days ago and still haven't unpacked it...oops. Will do so tomorrow.

:wave: i've got a speck case on my macbook. i love it, it's a little scuffed up but my macbook itself looks brand new as a result.

Yeah, with something like Apple products (which is a bit like buying a Toyota), it's probably best to get a case so you can resell it in a couple of years for a semi-decent price.

anitram said:

a big yes from me.

I wish I had bought a case. buy one.

yeah, i buy cases for all my apple products (well, except for my imac) either at or before the time of purchase. i didn't for my first ipod (2nd gen) and it got scuffed up so fast just from sitting on tables, not being moved. in just a couple months it looked like a scrubbed it with a brillo pad or something, so i learned the hard way. though i then went on to use it for years (i did get a case a few months later), though, and probably by the time i'd upgraded it wouldn't have been worth much even looking pristine.

OK, will do.

I do have the aluminum unibody MacBook (13") that I bought about 2 years ago and it's really almost in perfect condition. Hardly any scuffing, etc, and I lugged that thing with me everywhere. So I was ok without the case but it seems like most people have one so maybe I should get on board.

From the rumour mill, we may not see iPhone 5 / iOS 5 until fall 2011. The upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference in San Fran was originally supposed to see Apple unveiling some new hardware, but we might only get a peek at what's to come.

For those of you with iPads, what size of harddrive do you / don't you recommend? They all seem tiny in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not sure how large you really do or don't need.

It depends if you plan to stream a lot of content, or store it. I have the 16GB and carry a bunch of albums, podcasts, etc. along with my apps, and I've never had a problem with space, I don't store video on it though I just use Netflix, and obviously I don't have my whole music library on it, but with Rhapsody and AirTunes as well as a normal iPod.

I think it'd be a good thing if Apple's release pattern started scaling back to 1.5 years instead of once a year, but I bet this is about supply for a part they want, or trying to move iPhones refresh cycle to coincide with iPods. But I would think for stock prices, it'd be better if they had several bumps throughout the year with iPad, iPhone, and iPod with Mac refreshes interspersed. Who knows though. At least for Verizon it gives their iPhone 4 some time to breathe.

u2popmofo said:
For those of you with iPads, what size of harddrive do you / don't you recommend? They all seem tiny in the grand scheme of things, but I'm not sure how large you really do or don't need.

i've got a 16 gb (using it now actually) and it's fine for me. i don't have music or videos on here though of course. i just use it to take notes and such at school.

oh and i should mention i have the wifi model. there's wifi at school ofourse so i don't need 3g. if i do, that's what my phone is for.

Yeah, I won't be storing music or videos on mine either. So even putting a megaton of apps on it doesn't fill up the hard drive then? I truly have no idea how big most apps may or may not be.

I have an 8 GB iPod Touch (4th generation), and based on having a small to medium amount of apps on there, I would recommend going with a 16 GB to anyone buying.

Right now a top-of-the-line, 3D-intensive game can run as big as 600 MB or more, while more reasonable productivity apps will consume less than 10 MB or even 2 MB.

For example, Skype is currently 22 MB on iOS.

Reeder, a good RSS newsfeed reader, is 4.4 MB.

So at the end of the day keep in mind that a decent chunk of apps on there will leave you with less than 5 GB for everything else on the smallest model.

Yeah, the only apps that take up a lot of space are graphics-intensive games, which I suppose will only become larger with the new model's graphical capabilities.

64-bit, background renderings, an interface that isn't a gray block of shit... I'm all for it.

Only 300 bucks in the App Store, too? Awesome! The other programs in the full suite aren't worth it much anyway. Adobe's where it's at.

I'm pretty stoked about the new Final Cut too, but I desperately need a new computer to handle all the motion processing. Shit takes forever.

And Martha, I guess it depends on how much you're carrying it. I carry mine around in a laptop sidebag type thing. You should really get one of those stretchy fabric covers that zip around it if you're going to be transporting it a lot. My case is scratched to shit

i've got a case on my laptop and i keep it in a big laptop bag. the brand i use for the bag is laurex. i don't take it outside the house very much but it seems pretty durable.

I have a hard plastic snap on cover on mine (purple..:D) that i never take off.. When I travel I have this neoprene black case with side pockets and a shoulder strap.

I have a neoprene sleeve for mine. I have a Crumpler laptop bag which I love and travel with, but it's not business appropriate, so if I am taking it to meetings or something I'll just slip the laptop in the sleeve in my purse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom