Best way to clean a laptop/flat screen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
I dont know how they got there, but my laptop screens gone awfully smudgy. I tried licking my finger and wiping them but thats made matters 10x worse. :huh: I dont know if anyone round here sells special wipes, so is it ok to just use glass cleaner or simmilar? I wouldnt want to damage it, so im not sure what to try.

Don't use glass cleaner or any commercial cleaning product!

You need LCD screen wipes or isopropyl alcohol pads/wipes. I use "screen cleaning wipes" from Corporate Express.

resize

Monster Cable LCD/Plasma Cleaner.

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/mon126634.html
Sale Price: $14.61

RedrocksU2 said:
Actually, I would not recommend using an alcohol based cleaner for LCDs.
Most overpriced bottles of LCD screen cleaner are a diluted isopropyl alcohol and water solution.

As long as you use a microfiber cloth you should be fine.

Canadiens1160 said:
Most overpriced bottles of LCD screen cleaner are a diluted isopropyl alcohol and water solution.

As long as you use a microfiber cloth you should be fine.

That's what mine is, just a plastic container of wipes that are very fine, soft fibers with a tad bit of alcohol, just moist enough to wipe off the crap. I don't think I'd ever spray any liquid at my laptop though. I'd rather spray a tiny bit into the cloth and then wipe. But yeah, everything we use has alcohol.

Cleaning

There are many cleaners sold specifically as LCD cleaners. These are perfectly acceptable for cleaning LCDs on Dell notebooks. If you do not wish to purchase one of these products designated specifically as an LCD cleanser, the following is a list of what is and is not acceptable for cleaning your LCD.

The following cleaners are acceptable:

Water
IPA (Isoprophyl Alcohol)
Hexane
Petroleum Benzine
The following cleaners are unacceptable:

Acetone
Ethyl alcohol
Toluene
Ethyl acid
Ammonia
Methyl chloride

NOTICE:

These cleaners might cause permanent damage to the LCD due to a chemical reaction. Some commercial window cleaners contain ammonia and are generally unacceptable.

Clean the computer's built-in LCD display with a soft, clean cloth and one of the cleaners listed above or a commercial window cleaner that does not contain ammonia, wax or abrasives. Apply the cleaner to the cloth, and then stroke the cloth across the display in one direction, moving from the top of the display to the bottom. If the display contains grease or some other contaminant, use a cloth with an acceptable cleaner listed above instead of a commercial window cleaner.

RedrocksU2 said:

IPA (Isoprophyl Alcohol)

I think this is what we meant by "alcohol", at least it's what I meant. Our "anti-static screen cleaning wipes" contain this and when I don't have those around, I use an individually wrapped isoprophyl alcohol swab.

Back
Top Bottom