Your Favorite Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Disappointed? Fuck no. I was almost moved to tears by a few of the scenes with the younger kids. I say almost cause I knew if I would have cried Chris and Snoop would have buried my ass in a vacant.

Seriously, that show is fucked up beyond measure.

I honestly think that Season 4 is the single best season of any show that I've ever seen. I was floored by how engrossing and moving it was. Unreal.

You really haven't. But, you're lucky to have a site like this where you can do what the littlest bastard of them all did.....make a list and plow through that bitch when time allows.

Oh definitely, I cannot thank you guys enough. It's one thing to look at lists and see what you think you need to see, and another thing to actually talk to people who know what the hell they're talking about and can relate to you.

When I finally get a laptop I'll be able to torrent or whatever the hell YLB does to see all these films. Till then, I'm doing my best with On Demand.

I need to organize these lists into something tangible.

I torrented for a bit, now I just Netflix or DVR everything.

Honestly, I'd go right to Laz's, and if Monkeyskin shows up, check his out, too. Then Lance. Anything those three omitted that I included likely is just a personal favorite and not anything worth rushing out to see.

And if you think I like praising the Father and the Son here, trust me, I do not.....but despite their misanthropic ways, their love and knowledge of film has my respect. YLB falls into the same category, but he's more in your boat than anything else, though, he's seen a lot of good shit this past year......and so have I, largely thanks to this forum.

If you're ever completely shit-faced, go to whatever list Dalton conjures up.

What he said.

Hey Pfan, I know you're busy with school and stuff and you're also tryin to barrel through a lot of the classic music that you haven't heard but you need to rent the fucking original Star Wars trilogy. Tonight. Seriously. I'll give you the 10 bucks or whatever you'll need to rent 'em at Blockbuster. Or I'll Fed-Ex you my old VHS's.

The amazing thing is that it is has (by far) the least amount of action, but it is still so compelling.

I'll tune into 24 when I want a show with a lot of action, you know?

But, I know what you're saying....that's just how well done the show is written, acted, etc.

Hey Pfan, I know you're busy with school and stuff and you're also tryin to barrel through a lot of the classic music that you haven't heard but you need to rent the fucking original Star Wars trilogy. Tonight. Seriously. I'll give you the 10 bucks or whatever you'll need to rent 'em at Blockbuster. Or I'll Fed-Ex you my old VHS's.

He's right, it's simply grotesque.

It's like the NFL thread right now.

Hey, Lord Piss, happy now? Your lack of film watching has actually lead us all down a path where GAF makes a post I 100% agree with.

HAPPY NOW LORD PISS?

Well allow me to take me just place in disagreeing with all you apes. There are seriously dozens of other equally if not more important films he should see first. I mean, he likely knows all the key bits of culturally relevant iconography from those movies already anyway.

There's a shock...

While I would argue 2001 is a much better example of Science Fiction on film, I would definitely recommend Star Wars first to an 18 year old who has not watched a lot of films yet...

Not only are they technically impressive but they are a lot of fun. I personally owe a lot of my love for movies to George Lucas and I'm not embarrassed to admit that.

Don't forget, Lance, that Star Wars is inspired by a very visual-based approach to storytelling. From there you can segue right into the sweeping vistas and imagery of guys like John Ford and Akira Kurosawa.

There are worse places to start--like the films of Ridley Scott and James Cameron.

I'm currently working on an Excel spreadsheet based on films recommended by YLB, Laz, and Lance.

There are 171 films on said spreadsheet.

Don't forget, Lance, that Star Wars is inspired by a very visual-based approach to storytelling. From there you can segue right into the sweeping vistas and imagery of guys like John Ford and Akira Kurosawa.

There are worse places to start--like the films of Ridley Scott and James Cameron.

I see the point, especially as an entry way. But will an 18 year old in 2008 really connect in the same ways I and LMP did as younglings, or older generations did when it was still fresh and cutting edge? I'm not sure, and thus I'm not sure it's really as essential as everyone here is making it out to be. I mean, why not start with Kurosawa or Ford? I'd argue that they're equally as accessible, and have aged with considerably more grace.

There's only three films all three of YLB, Laz, and Lance had in their top 50/30 lists:

Gangs of New York
Apocalypse Now
Vertigo

I'm taking a tremendous amount of time to organize this in a manner that will make it easier for me to figure out which films I want to see first.

I prefer the Redux, simply because there's MORE of the film. From what Coppola and Murch claim, they were only cut for reasons of pacing, and in the case of the longer French Plantation sequence, they felt the audience just wasn't going to be down for that long of a detour. But they clearly WANTED it in there. You have to remember they stood to lose a lot of money if the film failed with the critics, the public, etc.

Now one could argue that the film in the extended version doesn't have as good pacing, but my opinion is that once you've experienced the original, Redux isn't as hard to process. It's a richer, fuller film.

So my advice--watch the original first. If you like it, then do the Redux. It was my favorite film before I saw the latter, and remained so afterwards.

In no particular order ....

1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Gangs of New York
3. Fight Club
4. E.T. (that's right mother fuckers, I said it)
5. Cool Hand Luke
6. Terminator II
7. The Godfather II
8. The Departed
9. Wildcats
10. Appaloosa (I gots me a feeling)

I prefer the Redux, simply because there's MORE of the film. From what Coppola and Murch claim, they were only cut for reasons of pacing, and in the case of the longer French Plantation sequence, they felt the audience just wasn't going to be down for that long of a detour. But they clearly WANTED it in there. You have to remember they stood to lose a lot of money if the film failed with the critics, the public, etc.

Now one could argue that the film in the extended version doesn't have as good pacing, but my opinion is that once you've experienced the original, Redux isn't as hard to process. It's a richer, fuller film.

So my advice--watch the original first. If you like it, then do the Redux. It was my favorite film before I saw the latter, and remained so afterwards.

I'm of pretty much the same opionion, I will always like the original slightly more because it was my first experience watching it but Redux really did flush it out and made it much more of an experience.

I'm of pretty much the same opionion, I will always like the original slightly more because it was my first experience watching it but Redux really did flush it out and made it much more of an experience.

I like Redux better as well.

If memory serves, Lance likes the original better, for solid reasons.

Back
Top Bottom