X-Files 2 Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carmelu2fan said:
So I take it you are cool with the fact that this X-Files movie will appeal to the masses. On some of the other XF boards the old die hards are rather perturbed.

:shrug:

I'm an old die hard, and I'm relieved they're not doing a mythology-based movie. The series finale wrapped it up, and opening it back up again is only going to screw things up again. Because let's face it - they screwed it up by dragging it out too long.

I'm very pleased they're doing a "stand alone" story.

I've long since abandoned X-Files fandom - I was too bitter about the last season or two of the show and just had to walk away from it. From what I hear though, there's still some batshit crazy fans out there, and that makes me a little happy ... it's nice to see some things haven't changed. :wink:

Part of me is dreading seeing the fandom working itself into a froth-mouthed frenzy (the angry kind) over the movie, but part of me is looking forward to sitting back like so: :corn:

corianderstem said:

I'm an old die hard, and I'm relieved they're not doing a mythology-based movie. The series finale wrapped it up, and opening it back up again is only going to screw things up again. Because let's face it - they screwed it up by dragging it out too long.

I'm very pleased they're doing a "stand alone" story.

I've long since abandoned X-Files fandom - I was too bitter about the last season or two of the show and just had to walk away from it. From what I hear though, there's still some batshit crazy fans out there, and that makes me a little happy ... it's nice to see some things haven't changed. :wink:

Part of me is dreading seeing the fandom working itself into a froth-mouthed frenzy (the angry kind) over the movie, but part of me is looking forward to sitting back like so: :corn:

:lol: Omg! In the words of Hurley from LOST. "Dude, you said it all.":hi5: First off, good to meet another die hard.

I take it you've been watching the show since it aired back in 1993? Second, you realize we are in the minority of the die hards who are happy about the end of the "conspiracy based plots.

It is refreshing to know that there are some people who realize that Chris Carter tried his best to wrap up the mythology in the finally. As you stated the whole thing was carried out way to long, for almost eight years straight, that is pretty impressive, IMO.

I have a feeling the ones who are so against the "stand alone" movie will either love it or totally hate it. Either way it will make for some pretty interesting commentary. I've seen some pretty good heated debates already.

So if you do not mind, I am going to pull up a chair and watch the batshit hit the fans.

:hi5:

I started watching in .... 94? 95? Not quite right from the start. I think I saw a few episodes at the end of season 2, and became a complete diehard somewhere in season 3.

Which xf forums are you visiting, Carmel? I think the groups I belonged to have since disbanded.

I too am glad it is just a stand alone thing. I'd be really excited if they did more than one of these stand alone movies. I'll have to revisit my DVDs, as I have not seen a full episode in years. So much of my trivia has faded away.

Im with everyone else Im happy that they are doing a stand alone episode. Love the show more than anything but the aliens storyline started getting boring. Couldn't handle the last season of the show it just wasn't the same for me. The previous seasons though you dare not call me when the show was on! :madwife:

I still don't know how I feel about this.

I was a die-hard, watched right from S1 (although stopped somewhere in S8). In a way I feel like that part of my life is over and I'm not so sure it should be resurrected like Lazarus.

At the same time, I am curious.

lazarus said:
Is it one of the mythology episodes? Because I'm working my way through them, on Black Oil right now.
That's the single best set in the bunch. Just flawless episodes, except maybe "Herrenvolk" which was quite a let down after the amazing "Talitha Cumi", all the way into the next set's "Patient X"/"The Red and the Black". After that, the mythologies became highly inconsistent with annoying characters like Diana Fowley (damn that Duchovny for recommending her!) and Gibson Praise (I've always hated that kid!).

The last 2 great mythologies after that were "Two Fathers"/"One Son" and "Sein Und Zeit"/"Closure" which was a wonderfully personal way to end the continuing story. Despite many saying the conspiracy until these stories didn't make any sense, it had remarkable consistency and, most importantly, wonderful dramatic realism, which you rarely find in any other continuing show -- maybe "Star Trek Deep Space Nine", "BSG" and The 4400. The character of the Smoking Man and Krychek are wonderfully complex, subtly humanized characters.

Last edited:
Ah, Herrenvolk: lots of Mulder and Scully running, and lots of bees.

Snooze.

Diana Fowley was a wretched, wretched character addition, and I swear they only added her piss of the "shippers."

corianderstem said:
Ah, Herrenvolk: lots of Mulder and Scully running, and lots of bees.

Snooze.

Diana Fowley was a wretched, wretched character addition, and I swear they only added her piss of the "shippers."
Regarding Herrenvolk, I DID enjoy some of Mark Snow's music in that episode and Mulder exploring the town with Jeremiah Smith, but his character never had the same power it did in "Talitha Cumi". Too much action. I hope they don't do that for the film. The show's strength has always been in the drama, not the lame explosions and chases.

Yeah, I was so upset when they added Fowley and I noticed Scully getting all lovey dovey for Mulder; I thought at the time it made her look weak; I can understand it better now. However, that was a huge plot hole in which CSM has Fowley shot -- almost killed -- and she continues working for him. Ridiculous.

One last thing that I was glad about regarding the sets was the exclusion of the awfully melancholic victimized "Christmas Carol"/"Emily" story, which really pushed too far with the sympathy. I don't think I've ever watched it all the way through since it aired in 1997!

Christmas Carol/Emily is mythology-based insofar as it deals with the theft of Scully's ova (ovum?) and a little girl that may or may not be hers and may or may not be a little alien kidlet.

I don't mind it too much, but not one of my favorites. I like it for the interaction with Scully's family and how they handle all her shenanigans with Mulder. (But that stuff was handled better in the season 5 premiere, with Scully all a-dyin' of conspiracy cancer.)

I thought there was some episode about Samantha that was excluded? Or am I crazy?

Just finished Tungaska and Termina today. I loved Skinner and Mulder repeatedly beating the crap out of Krycek.

oh man, best scene in that is when scully is gettin grilled. they're like "answer the question agent scully!" and she's trippin, and then mulder busts in with "what's the question?"

:drool:
i'm gonna watch a dvd tonight...

lazarus said:
I heard there was one episode that was debatably mythology that isn't in the set. Is that the one?
In the 3rd set, they put in William B. Davis' awful episode he wrote about his character and Scully supposedly having some Shakespearean relationship (can't remember the reference he used at the time). Also, the first set has a few I wish weren't on there. The second set has all mythology episodes.
corianderstem said:
Christmas Carol/Emily is mythology-based insofar as it deals with the theft of Scully's ova (ovum?) and a little girl that may or may not be hers and may or may not be a little alien kidlet.

I don't mind it too much, but not one of my favorites. I like it for the interaction with Scully's family and how they handle all her shenanigans with Mulder. (But that stuff was handled better in the season 5 premiere, with Scully all a-dyin' of conspiracy cancer.)
If you notice, though, the show never ever makes reference to these events -- not in Scully recalling what's happened to her to others (Cassandra Spender, the FBI auditor in the 7th season finale) or in testimony before the court in the series finale.

The story was written by John Gilnitz (the writing trio of John Shiban, Frank Spotnitz, and Vince Gilligan, who did Lone Gunmen and many humorous episodes of which I was never a fan). I think it's fair to say Chris Carter realized this was a mistake in the mythology writing of the series both plot-wise for the conspiracy and dramatically in terms of Scully's ongoing troubles. It's like it never existed. I'm glad he treats it that way, personally.

Frank Spotnitz says in the audio commentary for "Momento Mori" for the Season 4 DVD set that there were fears in the writers' room of doing the Scully cancer storyline because it would push the show into overly victimized, sorrowful areas. I think it was a great departure and beautifully written. I do think that "Christmas Carol"/"Emily" was the realization of those fears, though. They didn't overdo the melancholy and victimization as much until maybe "Per Manum" in Season 8 or "Trust No 1" in Season 9.

lazarus said:
I thought there was some episode about Samantha that was excluded? Or am I crazy?

Just finished Tungaska and Termina today. I loved Skinner and Mulder repeatedly beating the crap out of Krycek.
Oh, I understand you better now. It ended up not being a mythology episode because of how it ended up, but, given how "Sein Und Zeit" lead in, I guess you could say it had as much a mythology feel as that.

You're referring to "Paper Hearts" written by Vince Gilligan. If I remember, it aired December 16th 1996; I remember watching and recording it the Sunday night before school; I really miss some of those memories! It's a beautiful episode -- from the dialogue to the acting to Mark Snow's gorgeous music. The best episode of Season 4, and that's saying a lot!

Last edited:
They do reference Scully's infertility. In "Christmas Carol," she tells her mom she's barren ... and doesn't Mulder finally tell her "oh by the way, I found all your eggs back when you were diagnosed with cancer" in one of those two episodes?

"Paper Hearts" is one of my favorite episodes. The freakishly tall dude playing the serial killer was amazing, as well as all the things you mentioned.

corianderstem said:
They do reference Scully's infertility. In "Christmas Carol," she tells her mom she's barren ... and doesn't Mulder finally tell her "oh by the way, I found all your eggs back when you were diagnosed with cancer" in one of those two episodes?

"Paper Hearts" is one of my favorite episodes. The freakishly tall dude playing the serial killer was amazing, as well as all the things you mentioned.
Oh, they absolutely reference her infertility throughout the rest of the series. What I meant is that the events specific to "Christmas Carol"/"Emily" weren't referenced again in the mythology and were only used later for a stand-alone in Season 5 for "All Souls".

You'd think this would be a traumatic event -- enough for her to recall to government officials and in her testimony. Basically, it's treated as though it never happened, including the far fetched notion of elderly ladies giving birth to clone babies.

Last edited:
Ah, gotcha. I completely agree. On the one hand, I would have hated the show to become all about Scully and her barren self. But yeah, it's ridiculous to not reference something so big.

But ... I feel another rant coming on about having Scully get pregnant .... must back away from rant!

I did really like All Souls, though. I thought that was a really good episode.

corianderstem said:
Ah, gotcha. I completely agree. On the one hand, I would have hated the show to become all about Scully and her barren self. But yeah, it's ridiculous to not reference something so big.

But ... I feel another rant coming on about having Scully get pregnant .... must back away from rant!

I did really like All Souls, though. I thought that was a really good episode.
I know what you mean! :) She shifted from worrying about being barren to worrying incessantly about her baby throughout Season 9!

Regarding "Paper Hearts", I think Mark Snow was nominated or won an award for his music for that. He's wanted to release his X-Files music for years and Fox keeps denying him.

I find it so frustrating because it's my favorite story music, especially Seasons 3 through 5 or 6 for the mythologies and episodes like "Paper Hearts" and "The Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man".

Fox has released Angel soundtracks and Sci Fi Channel happily releases a soundtrack to every season of Battlestar Galactica! I don't know why they're so difficult on this. If the sales have been poor for the first disc, it's because of the cheesy dialogue played throughout.

If you notice the DVD menus have only been able to use music that's on that first disc; it gets really repetitive after a while. The smart thing would have been to let the man release the music he worked so hard to make for the show. It really bugs me when networks do stupid, needlessly selfish things like this!

Back
Top Bottom