X-Files 2 Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2democrat said:
So, I finally bought the X-File FTF DVD today for only $8 :D

I had it on VHS and finally I get to enjoy it on DVD. I'm watching it now, and it's been so long since I had seen it that I had forgotten a lot.

So good :drool:
Did you notice, though, that the video capture is different?

The VHS actually has more visible captured footage. The DVD just cuts that full screen VHS picture at the top and bottom. So, if there's a scene between Mulder and Scully, you can see Mulder's tie in the VHS picture, but not in the DVD version. And I like looking at Mulder and Scully's expensive clothes... :(
No spoken words said:
If I met Chris Carter, I'd ask him about his workout regimen.
The guy ran a marathon a few years ago. He started out as the editor of a surfing magazine, and loves to surf. It's odd because he's so self-contained and serious when he speaks.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
If I met Chris Carter, I'd demand an answer as to why he fucked up my favorite show so badly.

:grumpy:

(But then I'd admit I'd see the new movie on opening night anyway.)
Well, there were a lot of factors, right? He never intended to do the show without Duchovny, but Fox had signed Gillian Anderson for more seasons, so he knew the show would potentially continue without him, so there was so much second-guessing. Season 8 ended rather well, but Fox kept pulling it back. He also intended Season 7 to be the ending.

In 1999 (end of Season 6, start of Season 7), Duchovny sued Fox over selling the rights to The X-Files below market value to its sister company FX, so there was a conflict of interest. Duchovny was upset about this because part of his contract was that he get part of the profits from that sale. The problem creatively was that he also named Chris Carter in the suit as being paid "hush money" by Fox. I think the rumors at the time was it really strained things, and resulted in Carter trying to make Duchovny happy.

Cinescape ran an article about Season 6 supposedly ending in a 3 part mythology that would see the return of the Bounty Hunter and Jeremiah Smith (both actors said they'd been hired to shoot that Spring); the resolution was to be at the start of Season 7, so it would have been a 4-part mythology story. My mouth was watering. EXCEPT, there were problems on the set of The X-Files with Duchovny's directorial debut; the actor playing the old FBI agent got sick; there may have been other problems related to Duchovny being new to directing. As a result, the end of Season 6 was lame.

They had to shoot another episode without Duchovny, so they quickly wrote one of those annoying Lone Gunmen episodes. Then the finale couldn't be this big thing. The Season 6 finale/Season 7 premiere story never featured the bounty hunter or Jeremiah Smith, and was far less exciting than what I think might have been. Instead Carter concedes to writing the third part of that mythology with Duchovny and it has a lot of those melodramatic themes Duchovny has in most of his stories, including his directorial debut on film, "House of D".

It's very likely Carter wanted to amend his friendship and constructed that failure of a mythology story to appease his friend. It worked but the show suffered.

A lot of this is my guess, but those two major mythology actors WERE cast and the ending of Season 6 WAS AFFECTED by delays on Duchovny's "The Unnatural", and it's very obvious to me that "Amor Fati" feels like a self-consciously overly poetic Duchovny story.

This hurt the show because Carter, I think, became increasingly exhausted, and the show's ideas really suffered over those 9 years, and the cracks started to show in Season 5 or 6, and even in Millennium's 3rd season to which Carter returned as an occasional writer.

However, I do think the lack of dramatic punch of the first film was due to the conservative nature of the story. It's really shocking when you compare the lackluster, overly-action-oriented film with the mythology episodes written around the same time in Season 4 and 5, which were the series' best. At the same time the film was written (Christmas vacation 1996), Season 4's Scully's cancer storyline was conceived and then resolved brilliantly in the beautiful Season 5 episode "Redux II" (my favorite of the series), and then you had the two parter "Patient X"/"The Red and the Black", which was much more powerful because of the increasing role of the syndicate and Krychek. I thought the movie would be at least as powerful as that 2-parter, but it was nothing close. It wasn't even as good as the action-oriented "Tunguska"/"Terma"

The film couldn't use Krychek or CSM at all or much because audiences got confused; an entire scene between Mulder and CSM was cut out, as a result. Great TV drama, especially The X-Files' mythology is so powerful because it's able to build over a period of years. The movie couldn't really rely on any of this rich history without doing rehashes of past subplots and appearing overly self-conscious, and confusing the newbie audience. Very sad.

They should have just done it on TV, as Carter had considered. The mythology really declined afterward, though "Two Fathers"/"One Son" and "Sein Und Zeit"/"Closure" rank among the series' best and are the effective end of the show!

Everything afterward is an afterthought. Doggett could be pretty great, though.

Last edited:
I despised "Closure". The Samantha storyline dragged on and on and I loved the solution they gave in "Redux II" - just a simple appearance of Samantha, that she is indeed somewhere out there.

But noooo, they had to fuck that up with the starlight bullshit. After all those evidences that she was indeed alive, Carter decided to contradict the 7+ season buildup.

God, they destroyed that show.

Muldfeld said:
I don't think Amanda Peet is a slut;

Okay, I believe you. :wink:

I still disagree with some of what you're saying, but I appreciate your thought-out response.

I'm sorry if I kept harping on it; sometimes I have my own gut reactions that verge on the edge of "Seeing red! Seeing red! Urge to kill rising.... rising!!!!!"

But hey. Peace, man. It's the holidays. :)

And I thought your post about the decline of the show was really interesting - I would agree with a lot of that.

I'm so torn on Sein Und Zeit / Closure. The whole "starlight" thing is such a bullshit copout, considering how long they dragged out the Samantha storyline ... but on the other hand, they did that two-parter extremely well, and the ending of Closure never fails to bring me to tears.

Damn your mystical music, Moby! :madwife:

Last edited:
It's tough to know what spoilers on the new movie, regarding the storyline, should be posted, here. What does everyone here feel is appropriate?

With that said, the question that has been asked frequently is if Mulder and Scully are still in the FBI. Well this photo from the set yesterday pretty much answers that question, for Mulder anyway --

http://i7.tinypic.com/835dpus.jpg

Slipstream said:
It's tough to know what spoilers on the new movie, regarding the storyline, should be posted, here. What does everyone here feel is appropriate?

With that said, the question that has been asked frequently is if Mulder and Scully are still in the FBI. Well this photo from the set yesterday pretty much answers that question, for Mulder anyway --

http://i7.tinypic.com/835dpus.jpg

Some friends of mine elsewhere have debated the idea that the jacket proves they're back with the FBI, suggesting that the picture may have even been planted by CC and co. to throw off the plot theories. I honestly don't know what I think about it. All I know is I can't wait.

I think major spoilers should be avoided. But stuff like pictures and that kind of thing isn't too spoilery.

If they're truly doing a stand-alone story for the movie and not continuing the dead-as-a-dead-horse mytharc, I'd rather see them back with the FBI (with a little backstory explaining how that happened), because otherwise what are they doing? Still running from the bad guys? They couldn't do that story without being back in the mytharc.

corianderstem said:
They couldn't do that story without being back in the mytharc.

:up: Very true. Especially since (so far as it seems) Skinner, Dogget and Reyes are not returning. Not that they couldn't do a mythology story without those 3, but with them they could pick up where they left off.

So a stand-alone, monster-of-the-week seems more likely. Especially since that's what Duchovny has said, at least once, in interviews. :shrug:

Hey, Chris Carter ain't too shabby either.

chris-carter-3.jpg

You can't see his giant, ripped guns underneath that coat, but trust me: THEY ARE THERE.

God, I need to check out this place more often. X-FIIIIIIILES. ahem.

So, what's going on now, anyone know? If anyone has tips on when/where filming's going on, I can try to get someone to get there with a camera (if it's in LA) while I sit 1500 miles away in utter jealosy. ;)

New USA piece interviewing Chris Carter. I'm sure there'll be no spoilers because Mr. Carter is the master of avoiding spoilers; he made sure the first movie script was on red xerox paper that couldn't be photocopied and wouldn't allow copies to leave the set. He also waited until the last day of filming "Requiem" to give the cast and crew the final scene in which Scully admits she's pregnant to Skinner.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-01-16-x-files_N.htm

Well ... they're filming. We have visual proof of that. Kind of hard to remain in denial that it's actually happening, wouldn't you say? :wink:

Muldfeld said:
New USA piece interviewing Chris Carter. I'm sure there'll be no spoilers because Mr. Carter is the master of avoiding spoilers

He's definitely not the master of avoiding a strict daily workout regimen, that's for sure!

corianderstem said:
Well ... they're filming. We have visual proof of that. Kind of hard to remain in denial that it's actually happening, wouldn't you say? :wink:

Hahaha, I guess so!

Back
Top Bottom