Who was surprised by "No Luke, I am your father"--?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh god, I remember those interviews very well. Lucas seemed thoroughly bored and Maltin had that cheesetastic grin plastered on his face the whole time. Wow. That brings me back.

To give Maltin some credit, it's hard to interview someone while kissing their ass the whole time.

"Hi, I'm Leonard Maltin. People listen to me because my quotes get on posters, although I have no fucking clue what I am really saying. George, is that a new cologne that I smell?"

Boba Fett totally fucked shit up when Empire came out. He's in the movie for like 3 minutes, and we all went ape shit over his bad-ass-ness. To this day I still stop and check out anything Boba Fett related. Lando makes any list where I need to layout the biggest influences on my life. He's usually #4.

Dallas completely reversed karma'd itself with this twist though:

0bc82f2f089343b1d07c9721ebb45879a7ec2f65-m.jpg

I wish I was around when the original trilogy came out, but I was part of the generation that caught it on VHS. I remember owning the '90s box set of the original releases, with the cheesy Leonard Maltin/George Lucas interviews, then seeing the special editions in theaters (although I don't remember much from them), owning the special edition VHS tapes, and now owning the 2004 DVDs.

I guess the next frontier for these is Blu Ray and eventual 3D re-release... which is totally fucking stellar. My jealousy for guys like NSW and Phanan will know no bounds; they got Lando, the badass black dude, and I got fucking Watto, the stingy Jewish stereotype - that may say it all right there.

YLB, here's something I learned back in the day:

Some thoughts have a certain sound, that being the equivalent to a form. Through sound and motion, you will be able to paralyze nerves, shatter bones, set fires, suffocate an enemy or burst his organs. We will kill until no Harkonnen breathes Arakeen air

Boba Fett totally fucked shit up when Empire came out. He's in the movie for like 3 minutes, and we all went ape shit over his bad-ass-ness. To this day I still stop and check out anything Boba Fett related. Lando makes any list where I need to layout the biggest influences on my life. He's usually #4.

It's true. People around my age that like Star Wars fucking love Boba Fett. Owning a Fett figurine was the Holy Grail, well, that and owning the Millenium Falcon.

Boba's a complete badass in Empire and the Expanded Universe, but his total bitch treatment in Jedi cracks me the fuck up. He's killed by a blind, half-retarded Han Solo... accidentally. Nerds lose their chubby every time.

YLB, here's something I learned back in the day:

Some thoughts have a certain sound, that being the equivalent to a form. Through sound and motion, you will be able to paralyze nerves, shatter bones, set fires, suffocate an enemy or burst his organs. We will kill until no Harkonnen breathes Arakeen air

There's a flip side to that coin:

My name is a killing word.

Oh god, I remember those interviews very well. Lucas seemed thoroughly bored and Maltin had that cheesetastic grin plastered on his face the whole time. Wow. That brings me back.

I remember those interviews...meaning, I remember watching them with the squiggly lines going through them as I fast forwarded :wink:

But my story's pretty much the same as LMP, had that trilogy. Got mad excited for the Special Editions, saw them all with my dad in theaters and it was great, then bought those on VHS as well. Probably the first time I ever owned the same movies twice in different "special" versions or whatever.

Fucking Empire. Can I just, for the upteenth time gush about that film??? Hoth kicks ass, Lando kicks ass, C3PO is having a nervous breakdown for the entire length of the film, a love story develops, there is a bad-ass cliffhanger, the first transport is away!!!, Vader is killing people left and right, to the point where anyone in that film with a British accent could die at any moment.....come on.

Fucking Empire. Can I just, for the upteenth time gush about that film??? Hoth kicks ass, Lando kicks ass, C3PO is having a nervous breakdown for the entire length of the film, a love story develops, there is a bad-ass cliffhanger, the first transport is away!!!, Vader is killing people left and right, to the point where anyone in that film with a British accent could die at any moment.....come on.

:D

I wanna watch it now! But I still don't own them on DVD :sad:

2 fighters against a Star Destroyer?

Apparently, he was right - and all these years later it still stings cause "revenge" is way more badass than "return".
It could have been a great film if called "Revenge" and had no Ewoks in it and stayed as dark as Empire.
If only Lucas could have shown a little sack.

It could have been a great film if called "Revenge" and had no Ewoks in it and stayed as dark as Empire.
If only Lucas could have shown a little sack.

I have never heard that "shown a little sack" line before. lol, that's awesome.

Jedi was the end of the story of the beginning of the corporate for Lucas. Ewoks were a cute little product placement.

the sexiest Star Wars scene ever? Luke and Lea swinging.

see, the fact that they are brother and sister really took the "sexiness" out of that scene for me...

In fact, I dare say THAT was a bigger shock to me at the time then finding out Vader was Luke's father...

I have to give the slave girl outfit from ROTJ a shout out, when she gets on that laser cannon thing - HELLO! :love:

I must confess I aint really seen the Prequels.

:down:

I sorta part remember the whole father scene, but back then it prob worked the audience up into a frenzy of them choking on their popcorn, because it was so well hidden and such a surprise.

meh, there are parts which are decent, I would say just make sure you keep your expectations low and you should have a good time...

Ewan Mcgregor is probably the only consistently good performance through the whole trilogy and even he slips here and there.

QFT. Revenge is pretty solid, though. I like it better than Jedi, actually.

Well because I went through a stage of enjoying Hayden I got that one, watched half of it.

Ugh, he was terrible, I lay the blame for that on Lucas though because seeing him in Life As A House and Shattered Glass you can see he's talented enough...

QFT. Revenge is pretty solid, though. I like it better than Jedi, actually.

:up: Revenge is my favourite of the three by far... Phantom Mennace was so so and Clones was just awful and painfull to watch...

Ugh, he was terrible, I lay the blame for that on Lucas though because seeing him in Life As A House and Shattered Glass you can see he's talented enough...

:up: Revenge is my favourite of the three by far... Phantom Mennace was so so and Clones was just awful and painfull to watch...

We've been dpwn this path before, actually....I prefer Clones to Menace, and while the prequels can certainly be deemed a disappointment, there are moments of brilliance in all three......none come close to standing up to New Hope or the insanely awesome Empire, though. And, Elfa, I'd rather watch Clones than fucking Heroes. :)

I would rate them:
I. IV
II. V
III. III
IV. VI
V. II
VI. I

Shit, Latin is hard. And III and VI will probably change as to which I like better quite often. If Lucas stopped the series at Empire, I'd probably be ok with that actually.

We've been dpwn this path before, actually....I prefer Clones to Menace, and while the prequels can certainly be deemed a disappointment, there are moments of brilliance in all three......none come close to standing up to New Hope or the insanely awesome Empire, though. And, Elfa, I'd rather watch Clones than fucking Heroes. :)

we're obviously going to have to go down this path again then... What was good about Clones? I have never been more uncomfortable in a theater than watching that "dialouge" (and I use that lightly) between Anakin and Padame...

I would rate them:
I. IV
II. V
III. III
IV. VI
V. II
VI. I

Shit, Latin is hard. And III and VI will probably change as to which I like better quite often. If Lucas stopped the series at Empire, I'd probably be ok with that actually.

Switch your last two and your first two and that's my list...

My list:

V - and it's not even close
IV
III
VI
II
I

Elfa, I just enjoyed the relationship of Annakin and Kenobi, thought Kenobi had more scenes/lines, which helps, thought that the plot was pushed forward a lot more than in Phantom Menace....and, yes, there are lines and line deliveries in this film that are vomit-inducing, but, for me, they're no better or worse than Jake Lloyd's painful performance...so that's a wash for me, and there's a lot less Jar Jar in Clones.

Back
Top Bottom