Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The villains are clearly much more compellling, its always the case. Last season would have sucked without Russell, Coach made Toncatins very entertaining, Boston Rob was the only reason to watch All Stars.

Jeff Probst renews 'Survivor' contract

(Entertainment Weekly) -- Good news, Survivor fans: Jeff Probst, whose contract on the CBS hit reality show was expiring, has decided not to snuff his own torch...yet. The host tells EW.com he will be back on the show past the season's 20th edition, "Heroes vs. Villains" (which kicks off Thursday night at 8pm).

"What has kept me interested in "Survivor" for 20 seasons is the study of human nature," said Probst. "How we justify our ethics, and watching what happens to people when they are put in situations of extreme conflict. Sometimes it's hard to watch, and sometimes it's enjoyable to watch, but it is always interesting to watch."

But, like any good "Survivor" story, this one has a twist. When Probst renewed his contract in the past (after seasons 12 and 16), it was for four cycles over two years. His latest renewal, however, covers only seasons 21 and 22 and will expire in 2011. While that would seem to indicate that the host is ready to finally call it quits and take his act elsewhere next spring, Probst insists that is not necessarily the case. "I'm not approaching this as my last year of Survivor," says Probst. "I was just comfortable taking it one year at a time. It certainly made it easier for me to just commit to one year and then we can revisit it again next year if everybody wants to."

As for what factor "Live for the Moment" (the CBS reality pilot-turned-special that Probst created and hosted) may have played in his decision to return, Probst admits that the show opened his eyes to several things -- both good and bad --but played no role in his deciding to come back.

"Live for the Moment showed me how fun it is to do something new and to explore new topics. It also is a great reminder that it is very, very difficult to get a show on the air, let alone find an audience. But I want to be clear: It had nothing to do with whether I was coming back to "Survivor" or not. This was just taking a moment after 10 years to take a look at my future, and where I saw it going, and what I wanted to do with it, before signing my contract."

Still, with Probst showing a desire to try his hand at different projects (like "Live for the Moment" and filling for Regis Philbin on "Live with Regis and Kelly"), and now only signing up for a one-year commitment, one has to wonder if his days of informing unlucky contestants that "the tribe has spoken" are nearing an end. And whether the show could continue without him. On that last subject, Probst has no doubts: "I have always said that my belief is that the star of "Survivor" is "Survivor:" It is the format. So yes, if there came a point where I decided I was leaving "Survivor," I absolutely believe someone else could take over." Thanks to his new contract, it will be at least a year before we find out if he's right.

For more on what Jeff's decision means for his passport, and if he will ever drag Kelly Ripa out to location, check out Jeff's interview on People.com. And for video of Jeff Probst on location in Samoa discussing the upcoming "Heroes vs. Villains" season (and why certain people didn't make it), watch our exclusive 3-part video below. Finally, for all the "Survivor" scoop sent directly to you, follow me on Twitter @EWDaltonRoss.

For full story go to EW.com

I was so excited when I read the news today that Jeff Probst is remaining with Survivor! I was so worried this might be the last season. :applaud: Best news of the day! And the show starts Thursday!! :up:

It really wouldn't be the same if Jeff left.

I agree.

That's nice of him to say that the star of "Survivor" is Survivor, but the truth is, Jeff has had a huge influence on setting the tone of the show. If he left, I've no doubt the show could continue, but it would be poorer for his loss. After all, as ER shows us, just because a show CAN continue, doesn't mean it should.

I don't want to see Survivor drift off the air after a long terminal illness.

not too impressed with these heroes at all

tired of Russell already, back to back seasons not working for him

Coach is still one of my favorites

Wow what a great night and great first episode! Cant believe all the injuries already. Heroes tribe seems to be more together as far as camp stuff but I think this season is going to be pretty even to be honest. And Sugar, ugh wth? Still crying. Probably why she got voted out. She's too emo for this game.

So, if anyone wants to know about my party, here's the deets.

The survivors that attended this party were Yau-Man (Fiji), Sonja (Borneo), Chad (Vanuatu) and Mary (Micronesia). Vecepia flaked and Lex flaked as well. I figured Lex would flake. There were also the Cho brothers from Amazing Race.

Yau-Man is awesome. I've met him once before and I love him. He's friendly, out going, and just really a good guy. He organized the shin dig and made his rounds and said hello to everyone.

Chad I thought was kind of a douche. We were talking to him and my friend asked if he would have got asked to come do HvV would he have said yes and he told us basically 'dont try to contact them. if they want you they'll get a hold of you'. He said when he moved he called them and let them know his new info and if they ever needed anything just call etc. He actually seemed kind of bitter for some reason. Like mad they never called him. He also trash talked Stephenie. Said he didnt think she was all that and what the show made her out to be, that he knew the real Stephenie. I was kind of taken aback to be honest as I just met the guy and he proceeded to bad mouth a fellow survivor and one of my favorites! But, he was nice enough to us and friendly and answered a lot of questions.

Sonja was also very friendly and wore her special 10th anniversary buff, and had her survivor t-shirt on. She was cute. Also, she is not a Russell fan.

Mary was really outgoing and really pretty. :cute: I met her outside having a cigarette and we talked about Crazy Kathy and smoking and she told me how Kathy basically went crazy and told producers she would cut off her fingers if they didnt get her out of there. She was wearing all kinds of nicotine patches and what not. Apparently once she got off the show to the other island she didnt even want to eat or take a shower she just wanted to chain smoke cigarettes.

So during the commercials, Yau-Man and Chad answered questions and talked about behind the scenes things which I thought were cool. How tribal councils last like 2 hours, how when Jeff goes and tallys the votes it takes like 20 minutes, and how they all have to tell the producers who they're voting for ahead of time. It was really interesting information.

Yau-Man also said (once the show was over) that Sugar had some kind of emotional breakdown on loser island and had to be shipped home. :ohmy:

So, here is a short clip of them answering questions and also a few pics.

YouTube - Yau-Man's Survivor Premiere Party - Northern California - HvV

Thumbnails..

Lots of TVs :drool:

Chad & Sonja

Yau

Mary

Cho brothers. Dont know them, but someone here might care lol.

Great stuff Sicy. :)
Can't wait to see Ponderosa tomorrow.
I felt bad for Sugar, but yeah she is not built for this game. The way Colby dissed her...yikes...Oh well.

Coach being all giggly over Gerry :lol:

Can't really have a better premiere than that. My favorite moment was Randy telling Rob not to build a fire. :lol:

Chos seem like nice guys...they had a strategy on The Amazing Race to help two other teams they befriended which kind of worked against them. The Amazing Race 10, great season.

No they didnt. Jeff had said they were done with him after he quit last time.

Wow Sicy, amazing stuff you've posted, very cool and thanks as always for sharing it! Awesome episode last night. Couldn't get over the injuries and only the first show! I couldn't watch when they were manipulating the dislocated shoulder, ugh it gives me shivers to think about that! I do think it is going to be an interesting season, that's for sure.

I remember the Cho Brothers from Amazing Race. :up: I'm looking forward to another new season of the Race starting this Sunday! :heart:

Looking forward to more Ponderosa too! :hyper:

what about Ozzy?

Jeff was asked about some players not there in a video by Dalton Ross of Entertainment Weekly. He said that Ozzy was in the running, but in the end they had just felt "well, maybe we've seen too much of him." I personally agree with that and he certainly had a very mixed reaction the second time around.

Dalton asked about Colleen. Jeff said of course she wouldn't do it but then went on to say she's neither a hero or a villain. After some coaxing, Jeff admitted that they would've had her back if she agreed.

Shane Powers got dumped at the last minute due to a few factors, particularly Russell. Jeff said it came down to a lot of things including the fact that two people were already from his season, etc. He said there's no way that Shane isn't deserving of being on the season.

Corrine had work. Would've definitely replaced Danielle.

Yul & Terry were both in the running but it was thought that neither had a vibrant enough personality. True.

Hatch would've been interesting...would've bumped either Tyson or Randy.

He said that Ozzy was in the running, but in the end they had just felt "well, maybe we've seen too much of him." I personally agree with that and he certainly had a very mixed reaction the second time around.

Like we havent seen enough of Parvarti, Amanda and Cirie.

Amanda? Yes. But the other two always come up in "best player ever" discussions so a lot of people wanted to see them back. Amanda still has more to offer than Ozzy because she's playing this season aggressively for a change. Ozzy was good at climbing trees and swimming but didn't really do much entertainment-wise, especially in Micronesia where he was just an irritating douche bag.

Oh, but the other key reason Amanda is involved with this season is because she's the Survivor record holder for most days spent in the game with 78. They're trying to get somebody to break triple digits this season.

Also, why do I see people around the web complain about the three Micronesia women coming back for a third round but not James? James is the worst player of the bunch and the least interesting in my eyes.

Preview for next week looks scary.

Let's hope he just fainted or something, because Boston Rob clearly owned that first episode for the villians.

I think it doesn't work out too well for Russell this time. He might get to the merge, but beyond that, I think he gets blindsided. These women won't go for it.

I was a bit surprised that Russell didn't go looking for an idol right away. Are there none in play this time?

Sugar going first was easily the correct move. There will be plenty of opportunities for strategic voting before the merge anyway.

I was a bit surprised that Russell didn't go looking for an idol right away. Are there none in play this time?

I got the feeling there might not be an secret idol since there doesn't seem to be any exile island. Maybe that will change as the season progresses.

Let's hope he just fainted or something, because Boston Rob clearly owned that first episode for the villians.

I think it doesn't work out too well for Russell this time. He might get to the merge, but beyond that, I think he gets blindsided. These women won't go for it.

Sugar going first was easily the correct move. There will be plenty of opportunities for strategic voting before the merge anyway.

Yeah, Russell is not playing with fools this time. His strategy won't go far with people who aren't easily manipulated or quick to trust. As soon as he started telling more than one person he wanted to go to F2 with him, I felt he was done. Which calls into question, really, whether he really is one of the best to ever play the game. More and more I'm coming to the conclusion he's not.

Back
Top Bottom