Star Wars: Episode VII: Revenge Of The Septuagenarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought after a bit of a delay, the Rogue One title scroll did what it needed. It wasn't a full scroll, but how much did we need?

Nah it didn't need it, i was probably more surprised that the lack of it threw me off as much as it did, more than actually feeling it necessary. The first couple minutes of the movie, I thought it was about to be a short SW-themed thing about telling everyone to shut off their phones or something before the actual thing was about to start. I blame the 3 other turn your phones off and 30-some odd min of trailers and commercials for that rather than a flaw in the movie. :shrug:

I'd be curious to hear all your thoughts on this. I'm not really a Star Wars fan, but I saw Rogue One last week with some family, the same way I saw The Force Awakens: more as an obligation than something I really wanted to do. For both of those films, the same question came to me: who is the target audience for these? Are they strictly fan service, or are they aiming to bring in new fans? I guess I'm wondering if anyone who is introduced to the franchise through either The Force Awakens or Rogue One would be likely to go seek out the other ones. IMO there seems to be a hell of a lot of focus on nostalgia in the two newest ones.

I'd be curious to hear all your thoughts on this. I'm not really a Star Wars fan, but I saw Rogue One last week with some family, the same way I saw The Force Awakens: more as an obligation than something I really wanted to do. For both of those films, the same question came to me: who is the target audience for these? Are they strictly fan service, or are they aiming to bring in new fans? I guess I'm wondering if anyone who is introduced to the franchise through either The Force Awakens or Rogue One would be likely to go seek out the other ones. IMO there seems to be a hell of a lot of focus on nostalgia in the two newest ones.

I think the target audience is probably fans of the OT who didn't like the prequels.

There is a lot of nostalgia in both films - more in TFA - but for different reasons. In Rogue One, the nostalgic parts aren't really nostalgia in the sense that they're not there just for nostalgia's sake; they make sense, are even necessary, to the plot, since it takes place immediately before A New Hope.

In TFA, the nostalgia wasn't as narratively necessary, but functionally, it kind of was. It was the reboot of the biggest franchise imaginable, that had alienated so much of its older fanbase with the prequels. It had to be nostalgic to calm their fears, to get them to buy in. It wasn't really a situation that called for risk-taking.

Finally saw Rogue One today. Liked it a lot, many of the same sentiments others here have expressed. Especially Vader. This film reiterated some of what got lost in ROTJ, Vader is one of the most evil characters ever on film and he's great when he's at his most evil.

Being someone who saw TFA with a 7yo who had no Star Wars experience and having just spent a Christmas with a 5yo girl who is now a SW fanatic due to TFA, I can say that this film has won over a new audience. The 7yo has now watched most of the back catalog, and actually liked the prequels a little more than the first three, and the 5yo has seen ANH and now watching the animated series. The nostalgia is lost on them.

If anything, I imagine that TFA will be more likely to win over new audiences than the less "nostalgia-reliant" prequels because it's actually good. Newcomers won't notice that it's structurally similar to New Hope because they haven't seen it and just enjoy it as a fundamentally sound, entertaining adventure film. The nostalgia is present in the new films as both a wink to existing fans and to establish the new characters as inhabitants of an environment that has been shaped by the actions of their forebears.

Can we keep spoilers spoiled for a bit in here so I can come in and mourn with you all? Seeing the movie tonight, but God, I'm about to start crying really hard at work. I don't know if I've been this upset about a celebrity death since Robin Williams passed. Maybe Bowie.

Fuck. I thought she was going to make it ....

Fucking awful. I'm grateful that medical science spared us this reality over Christmas, but she has been gone for a while now.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing Rogue One and appreciating her work one more time.

Horrible. I'm so tired of people dying. Thoughts go out to her family.

Probably no one's in the mood to talk about it, but I'm guessing the Ep9 story is going to have to be changed(though Ep8 is in the can).

:sad::sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom