Random TV Talk IV: We're So Broken Inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She played Ted Levine's wife on Monk, and even though she was only in a few episodes, she really nailed it in each one. She's the driving force of my favorite episode of the show, which is basically my favorite episode of television ever.

So sad to hear she passed so young :/

As for Adam West, I was on vacation when I heard the news. Really a heartbreaker for me, but 88 is a hell of an age to reach.

I missed about 80% of what happened on the reunion episode of drag race because yes I watched it on a big screen at pride before the drag show and I was too busy acquiring beverages that tasted like various flavors of starbursts. But I saw Peppermint perform the put a dollar in my titty song and that's kind of everything right there.

I was only half watching it. Usually only half watch the finale, too. Like, just tell me who wins.

Pretty much. Most of those episodes are a lot of "who are you people, I totally forgot you existed on this show." But I was kind of like that all season, we got down to the final four and I was like ok I know Peppermint and Shea Coulee are still there but who the hell are the other two.

The season finale of Fargo was really enjoyable (particularly the last 5 minutes) and the second half of the season in general was super good. Once
they killed off Ray, who I actually liked quite a bit,
the tension went through the roof and the pieces started falling into place very quickly. Varga was a top notch villain and the casting was superb. It became progressively obvious how full of shit he was, but the journey to get to that point was full of doubt and tension. There were spots in the season that were next-level good, like the entirety of episode 3, the first 20 minutes of episode 8, the end of episode 10, etc. but they were mixed with some meandering passages as well.

This season was divisive as fuck, in part because episodes 3-5 required a great deal of patience on the part of the viewer without being given much action in return. Having seen how it all comes together, I feel that patience was eventually rewarded and in general I think the episodes will hold up well. In terms of themes, direction, cinematography and overall ambition, it was an awesome season of television. In terms of character writing and pure drama, it was a step back. It's definitely not the same Fargo as season 1 and 2 - it's uglier, slower and morally muddled - but in many ways I think it makes a better case for itself as Great television instead of simply being content with reviving an established setting to entertaining results. This season gave me something to think about after it was over.

I'm going to watch Legion now.

Last edited:
:up: I look forward to finishing it off now, was gonna watch the finale tonight but got sidetracked, and hope to watch over the weekend.

Then it's onto season three of The Leftovers
tell me they give us some answers!

Orange Is the New Black has been pretty hit or miss for a few seasons, but this season is excellent.

Do we have any watchers of THE AMERICANS here? It's one of my favorite shows ever and I love the Jennings family dearly but this most recent season (season 5) really did not move things forward much at all. As always it was shot beautifully and the acting was tremendous and there were a couple of thrilling and haunting moments but...damn. It was just much slower than usual. Season 6 is the final season and I'm hoping they can rally and fulfill the promise.

Yeah, I watch and like it, but this season was sloooooooow.

GLOW is pretty awesome so far. Very fun.

I finished it last night. I've never had even the slightest interest in any kind of wrestling, and I loved every second of the show. I saw a thing in the finale coming a mile away and I still cheered when it happened, ha ha.

Curb yeahhhh

I rewatched all of season 8 on the plane to LA and it made the loooooong flight feel a little shorter.

I have four episodes remaining of The Leftovers but I can already say it's one of the best experiences I've ever had watching television. It's so in line with everything I look for in drama and storytelling in general that it feels like it was made for me.

Carrie Coon is far better on this than she was on Fargo and I've yet to see anyone that disagrees, but of course it's the latter that she received an Emmy nomination for. Hopefully she wins it.

Ironically I finally caught up with Season 2. I had seen Season 1 when it aired but never mustered up the energy to see the follow-up. While I admired the show's uniqueness, it's not exactly a pleasurable experience, or the type of show that has you really excited to get back with these characters and the pain they're experiencing. Compare it with something like Breaking Bad, which was also dark but also provided a heaping helping of cheap thrills and pulp to appeal to the more mainstream crowd (and it's precisely why I don't find BB to be on the level of TV's best).

Anyway, Season 2 is without a doubt one of the ballsiest I've ever seen from a show, completely turning everything on its head and going to places I never could have predicted. I wasn't crazy about Ghost Patty or the return of the Guilty Remnant, but they did some very interesting things with the plot elements and the narrative approach. And jesus, that hotel episode was insane.

Looking forward to pushing onto Season 3 ASAP.

And agree on Carrie Coon. I'm about halfway through Fargo season 3 and she's solid but nowhere near what she's done on The Leftovers. It's criminal how it's been overlooked in most categories by the Emmy awards, but in a way I'm not surprised because of how divisive the show is and, again, how unpleasant it often is to watch. At least the Critics Choice Awards had the decency to give her a win for playing Nora.

After all these years, I'm finally watching 30 Rock.

I had no idea I am actually Tina Fey in reality, but there it is.

I'm kinda crushing on Tina really hard right now, haha. I was already growing out my hair for the first time since I was 5, but now I'm like, Fuck it, let's do it. let's see just how far I can go with it. Basically the character of Liz dresses exactly how I wish I would, and now I'm inspired :lol:.

Also the show is just hilarious and Jack Donaghy is probably among my ten favorite TV Show characters all-time. I'm only halfway through S2. I hope this keeps up.

Ranty post ahead:

Master of None really is incredibly charming at times. It was a favorite of mine back in season 1. I was sad to find that season 2 wasn't clicking with me though. Occasionally it was amazing (Thanksgiving is much-watch television and somehow one of Angela Bassett's finest performances), but I think the romantic subplot just left me cold. Francesca was not fleshed out as well as his girlfriend from season 1, Rachel. Plus, Dev's life has become so unrealistically fantastic that it's increasingly difficult to relate to. Like, all he does in season 2 is eat food and pine after a woman with a serious partner. And, of course, her fiancée is a fucking douchebag, because writing him as a good, well-adjusted human being would make it difficult to ship her and Dev.

There is this great run of episodes in season 1 that sucked me in for a while. Nashville and Mornings are some of the best storytelling seen on television in ages because of how they get the details right. Dev and Rachel have great chemistry and it's incredibly entertaining to watch them experience new things together. I hope next season does better character work because the direction and confidence is there, plus Ansari is weirdly likable when you can connect with his story in the slightest.

Last edited:
Okay, the last two eps were a letdown. Wish that storyline hadn't taken over. Still love the show in general, though.

Ranty post ahead:

Master of None really is incredibly charming at times. It was a favorite of mine back in season 1. I was sad to find that season 2 wasn't clicking with me though. Occasionally it was amazing (Thanksgiving is much-watch television and somehow one of Angela Bassett's finest performances), but I think the romantic subplot just left me cold. Francesca was not fleshed out as well as his girlfriend from season 1, Rachel. Plus, Dev's life has become so unrealistically fantastic that it's increasingly difficult to relate to. Like, all he does in season 2 is eat food and pine after a woman with a serious partner. And, of course, her fiancée is a fucking douchebag, because writing him as a good, well-adjusted human being would make it difficult to ship her and Dev.

There is this great run of episodes in season 1 that sucked me in for a while. Nashville and Mornings are some of the best storytelling seen on television in ages because of how they get the details right. Dev and Rachel have great chemistry and it's incredibly entertaining to watch them experience new things together. I hope next season does better character work because the direction and confidence is there, plus Ansari is weirdly likable when you can connect with his story in the slightest.

when rachel showed up in season 2 i was psyched. she's such a good character and i want her back in the show. i was bummed it was so brief.

Now that I've finished the show, 30 Rock season ranking:

2 > 1 > 7 > 3 > 6 >>> 5 > 4

Great show, but much of the middle was excruciating. Really liked the way it ended.

A few things:

Season 2 of The Crown drops soon, looking forward to it.

Season 4 of Black Mirror now has a premiere date, also looking forward to that.

If you like foreign TV series, maybe check these out.

3% - Brazilian show, kind of Hunger Games-esque but, to me, better. On Netflix.

Fauda - Netflix. Israeli show that takes a look at the Israel/Palestine conflict through the eyes of both sides. Plot can get kind if implausible at times but it's never less than intense.

Occupied - Netflix. Another show whose occasional plot twists or devices stretch credulity but very enjoyable. Looks at a Russian occupation of Norway, explores ecological and political themes, and then some.

The Bureau - French show. I think it's available on Sundance via Amazon. I watched it through iTunes. Well, season 1, at least. Won't say much except to say it's espionage based.

Non-international: Godless on Netflix was good, sometimes great. Helps if you enjoy Westerns.

I also really liked The Deuce on HBO.

Need to see The Defiant Ones.

That's all.

Back
Top Bottom