Oscars Talk Thread 2013: It's a big night for Affleck - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #496
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I thought Seth sucked because I DO have a sense of humor.

All the jagoff Family Guy fans in comments sections everywhere are trying to pretend the only people who hated it were old people. I felt like the jokes were older than Seth himself. lololol Chris Brown beats women lololol Adele is fat hey how about airline food?
And the boobs thing was just stupid and juvenile. It's just so funny when women show their boobs while playing characters who are being raped. Oh, and Jews run Hollywood, gay men like musicals, and women make themselves sick to be skinny for the Oscars. Oh so funny and original.

I liked The Sound of Music bit.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #497
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
and was uncannily believable and natural in everything he did.
I'm no film historian, but did he not have the benefit of acting along side people still using the stilted method of acting, as was the fashion back then? As I understand it, Brando was sort of the guy who first broke that mould. So maybe I'm not disagreeing with you rather than asking if I have that right

Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #498
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Well Brando came from the Actors Studio, where all the other method actors trained. And it may seem stilted now, but was more natural than the generation preceding it.

Having said that, Brando's own teacher said he showed up already fully-formed and an innate talent, so he did break the mold in that way. That he thought acting was a worthless profession and acted off cue cards in the latter portion of his career only proves how much of a gift he had--he didn't give a shit, didn't learn his lines, and yet was still brilliant.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #499
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:20 AM
My DDL comment was more in mockery of the over-valuing of awards in general, but yes, he's a remarkable and versatile talent. One of the best working actors certainly.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #500
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Well Brando came from the Actors Studio, where all the other method actors trained. And it may seem stilted now, but was more natural than the generation preceding it.

Having said that, Brando's own teacher said he showed up already fully-formed and an innate talent, so he did break the mold in that way. That he thought acting was a worthless profession and acted off cue cards in the latter portion of his career only proves how much of a gift he had--he didn't give a shit, didn't learn his lines, and yet was still brilliant.
ah, cool. Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #501
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
And the boobs thing was just stupid and juvenile. It's just so funny when women show their boobs while playing characters who are being raped. Oh, and Jews run Hollywood, gay men like musicals, and women make themselves sick to be skinny for the Oscars. Oh so funny and original.

I liked The Sound of Music bit.

I thought you were a gay-friendly person

Quote:
Oscars 2013 Bring Gay Surprises And The Best 'Divas Live' Performances Ever

Full of exciting performances and celebrity spotlights, this year's Oscars proved to be not only an amazing awards telecast but one of the best Divas Live concerts in a long time. The opening number featured ambiguously gay host Seth MacFarlane singing an original song, "We Saw Your Boobs," which listed the many famous actresses who have bared their breasts on the big screen. Ironically, as the song reached its climax, MacFarlane was joined by the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles, who likely had no real interest in the jingle's topic.

Brave, with its strong feminist undertones, won for Best Animated Feature Film. I was pleased that Anne Hathaway swept away the competition and proved every queen's predication right with her win for Best Supporting Actress for Les Misérables. I also love Jennifer Lawrence and was happy to see her win the award for Best Actress for Silver Linings Playbook (and laugh off her awkward fall as she climbed the steps to the stage), but I was really rooting for the youngest actress ever nominated in this category, Quvenzhané Wallis, to win for Beasts of the Southern Wild. Still, Wallis received enormous applause when her name was announced, and she was recognized earlier in the evening with a sweet shout-out from MacFarlane. During his acceptance speech for his Best Actor win for the Tony Kushner-penned Lincoln, method actor and Hollywood veteran Daniel Day-Lewis thanked his wife for years of putting up with his multiple personalities at home. And to top it all off, a gorgeous First Lady Michelle Obama, surrounded by distinguished service members, announced the winner for Best Picture, Argo, live from the White House.

During the telecast we also had a Dancing With the Stars-esque segment in which heartthrobs Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Daniel Radcliffe, both LGBTQ allies, joined MacFarlane in a song-and-dance number, followed by Channing Tatum (Magic Mike) and Charlize Theron (Snow White and the Huntsman) channeling Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, with Theron sporting what may have been the best haircut of the evening.

For me, the biggest highlight of the evening was the phenomenal lineup of female vocalists, with live performances strategically placed throughout the telecast. Though I tuned in for the films, I kept watching because of these women. Catherine Zeta-Jones proved that she still has it as she performed "All That Jazz" from Chicago. Dame Shirley Bassey sang the title number from the James Bond classic Goldfinger, and Adele sang the current Bond theme, "Skyfall." There was even a rare appearance by the incomparable Barbra Streisand, who honored those featured in the In Memoriam segment, particularly her friend, the late composer Marvin Hamlisch, with a performance of "The Way We Were." But perhaps my favorite performance of the night came from Jennifer Hudson, who proved yet again why she won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 2007 as she showed off every bit of her vocal prowess and slayed the competition with a flawless rendition of "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" from Dreamgirls, to a standing ovation.

Clearly MacFarlane and the Oscars' producers know how to entertain. I would even go so far as to suggest the inconceivable: that this year's Oscars ceremony trumped Beyoncé's Super Bowl halftime performance. Yes, queen, yes, this awards show may have been a gay man's campy wet dream, and I will be eagerly anticipating what is to come next year. The bar has been set!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randal...b_2756998.html
Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #502
Blue Crack Addict

working actors today that are capable of doing outstanding work;

DDL, Joaquin Phoenix, Christian Bale

also Michael Fassbender, Leonardo DiCaprio
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #503
Blue Crack Addict

I actually thought that MacFarlane did a decent job, at least as compared to last year which was beyond horrific and boring. Some of his jokes were old/predictable but there were a few times I actually LOL'd.

While we are talking about Bradley Cooper's looks, I thought he looked awful last night. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to pour a litre of gel on top of his head. Just brutal.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #504
Blue Crack Distributor

I expected MacFarlane to do something theatrical, that's his way. Big dance numbers, etc.

When he did, they were really lame and shoe horned in.

Thus my disappointment, for the most part. It wasn't his jokes I hated so much, though they weren't fantastic either.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #505
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm glad I'm several time zones away.

I really do not care and am kind of glad I missed the ceremony (for the first time since, like, 1993).

Of course, I cared enough to post this ...
Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #506
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
While we are talking about Bradley Cooper's looks, I thought he looked awful last night. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to pour a litre of gel on top of his head. Just brutal.
I think he's a handsome fella, but I'm more gay for Fassbender
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #507
Blue Crack Addict

i'm sorry you missed it

i wanted to hear your thoughts

Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #508
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Did you intentionally try to find the worst looking, choppiest .gif of that moment on the entire internet? Or are you just that inept?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #509
I hate this place

Local Time: 03:20 AM
shit. i would have fell too if the stage was moving around like that
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #510
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The Oscars weren't gay enough

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote