Movie Effects Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jive Turkey

ONE love, blood, life
So I found this video on College Humor and thought you guys might also find it pretty cool. 100 years of Special Effects in 5 minutes (incase you cant read for yourself). Also, I know we all kinda hijacked the Avatar thread, so maybe we could use this as a general CGI/Creature effects thread? or maybe it wil just get buried and never seen again. I have nothing further to discuss at the moment, so either way, enjoy the video. I'd like to see an even longer one, as there is a ton missing (no LotR? What the fuck?), but I suppose this will do for now

100 Years of Special Effects - CollegeHumor video

I'm guessing this will just get buried and never seen again.

But yeah, visual effects... cool stuff, right?

ya, I kinda thought the same thing. But I wanted to post the video though, so i figured it was worth a shot. I imagine most of the visual effects talk will stick to the specific movie threads.
Does the fact that I want to talk about visual effects in general make me even nerdier than the rest of you?? :no:

I think the fact that most of us would gladly talk about it to such depths in the first place means you're among equal company.

ah, comforting to know. None of my friends would carry on such a conversation with me. I'll try to keep this thread alive, even if its just with videos that no one comments on

I'm surprised stuff like Sky Captain, Sin City, or Phantom Menace didn't make it in there, but that was a pretty solid representation of the main effects work over the years.

I'm surprised stuff like Sky Captain...

While I appreciated the scope of the work with Sky Captain, I couldnt watch it. The CGI was just so distracting. I understand that it was meant to be stylized, but it was too much. All I could think when watching it was 'green screen'

I just bought Clash of the Titans on DVD a few months back. $4 !!!!! I loved that movie when I was a kid. Ray Harryhausen is the shit. I hope they dont fuck up the remake

Alright, so this isnt exactly the right thread for this, but I didnt want to start a new one. This has got to be the coolest home made special effect I have ever seen. This kid is a unitard away from one fucking kick ass halloween costume

YouTube - Pyro System 2.2 Halloween

If this was his last year's costume, I'll go ahead and assume he'll be sporting a pretty realistic Freddy Krueger costume this year

Does the fact that I want to talk about visual effects in general make me even nerdier than the rest of you?? :no:

Jive Turkey is a huge nerd, everyone point and laugh.

I'll watch the vid when I get home from work, sounds interesting.

Cool vid...

The effects in Jurassic Park seem so primitive now LOL.
That movie blew my mind as a kid.

I'd say that the JP effects lack that extra layer of rendering and lighting in the daytime scenes, but the T. Rex scenes at night are still fantastic. The mix of animatronics, practical effects, and CG in the first reveal is seamles.

I still havent seen Hellboy 2, but after seeing this video, I really need to. Animatronics are so much cooler than CG. They really need to make more characters that exist in the real world. I still cant believe how realistically this guys facial expressions are. I'm completely blown away. I wish there was an HD version of this. Had anybody seen Hellboy 2? Is it any good even if its just for cool creatures? I really need to get me a Wink suit for halloween :sad:

YouTube - Behind the sceens of Hellboy 2: Creating Wink

Since this is the right thread for it, what do you guys think of de-aged Jeff Bridges from what we've seen of the Tron Legacy trailers?

I think it just manages to get past Uncanny Valley. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom