James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure but it can work like a Battlestar Galactica, where you don't know who is what :shrug:

And if Cameron can write a better movie, it could be more nuanced, where you don't hate the humans 100% and love the Navi 100%.

Cameron said that the next film might take place on another moon close to Pandora...but I'm not sure how that's gunna work

Cameron said that the next film might take place on another moon close to Pandora...but I'm not sure how that's gunna work

I'm not sure how that would work either, or why you'd make another film without the same characters and culture you established to thoroughly in the first film, just to look at another planet. Granted if that's his idea of a sequel, and he does want to build a new story from scratch, more or less keeping in tune with the concept of the avatars as a jumping point, I'd still be game. But it seems a bit silly.

^Yeah, IDK if Avatar is a good foundation for sequels...know what I mean? The story is over, the Na'vi won, the humans left...

What else could possibly happen?

The sequel needs Bill Paxton. Preferably in the role of a used car salesman who makes up elaborate stories to sleep with Na'vi women.

^Yeah, IDK if Avatar is a good foundation for sequels...know what I mean? The story is over, the Na'vi won, the humans left...

What else could possibly happen?

One of the first thoughts I had leaving the film was "OK, there's no way in 6-12 years this corporation isn't going to come back to this planet with a lot more firepower and a hell of a plan (and Bill Paxton) to get back to business" so I could see something like that happening. However, I think the only real way to do a truly original sequel is to more or less abandon the entire story of the first film and just run with the avatar concept itself in a new scenario, but with all the talk of wanting to capitalize on this thoroughly-designed world and what not, I can't see it all just being dumped for something entirely new.

Knowing Cameron, he'll replace the Navi with little brown furry creatures called Awox, Jake Sully will be replaced by Dan Bolo - along with lovable side kick Newbakka, and there will be awesome special effects and a racer-bike sequence and no fucking story whatsoever and it will make another billion dollars for this two bit hack. God, he makes me angry. Ugh. "That is NOT a Moon..."

I would like a sequel if Cameron made it in a Stanislaw Lem/2001 style to fuck with the mainstream. I would like to see some non-humanoid aliens.

I would like to see some non-humanoid aliens.

tribbles2.jpg

One of the first thoughts I had leaving the film was "OK, there's no way in 6-12 years this corporation isn't going to come back to this planet with a lot more firepower and a hell of a plan (and Bill Paxton) to get back to business" so I could see something like that happening. However, I think the only real way to do a truly original sequel is to more or less abandon the entire story of the first film and just run with the avatar concept itself in a new scenario, but with all the talk of wanting to capitalize on this thoroughly-designed world and what not, I can't see it all just being dumped for something entirely new.

So your saying that there is a strong possibly that the next “Avatar” film will basically be “Avatar” just with a bigger battle…

Now just sounds a little stupid…

But if Bill Paxton is gunna be involved, then I'm all for it!

Here’s a question for you guys to ponder:
Does “Avatar” take place during the same time period (2154) as “Aliens” (Forget that Sigourney Weaver is in both). They travel in similar ships, they have similar weapons, they sleep in those sleep pod things...IDK

I'm not saying there's a strong possibility of that at all. Just that that's the only real scenario I can come up with right now if the next film were to take place on Pandora and feature the same characters again and what not. Which isn't very likely given what we've been hearing.

This will easily pass Titanic this week for all time domestic number 1.

And I sure it is all time number 1 worldwide now.
It will go over 1.9 billion this week.

The only question is how much over 2 billion will this go?

James Cameron's first sketch of Neytiri...wow, way to be good at everything James Cameron
zz07a2d3ef.jpg

re: Roger Dean, I was thinking that, although floaty foresty islands have become a pretty common element in fantasy.

James Cameron's first sketch of Neytiri...wow, way to be good at everything James Cameron

Bar the whole movie thing.

We have a 2 billion dollar movie,>>>>>>>>>>>.. Worldwide: $2,039,222,000
and as of today this will be the number one all time U S money maker, too.

Still at no. 21 for adjusted. I think it could hit the top 15 in that category before this is over.

How much will this film do?

Can it do 2.2 billion or will the theater count drop off soon?

I see this record standing for quite some time. Titanic held it for 12 years.

Looks like Jurasic Park held it for 4 years. ET had a good run.
I am thinking Avatar could go past twelve years, with a such a big number.

Not only that, but it's amazing that it's one of the few original properties on the unadjusted charts to be in the Top 25 Worldwide or Domestic. People can scoff at the "original" claim, but why not do that with the thousands of other movies that have similar elements as opposed to the one giant film that's easy to pile onto?

Back
Top Bottom