James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure we can all at least agree that Avatar is more POLITICALLY INSIGHTFUL than those other films, right?

I heard that Chris Carter bench-pressed his entire aisle after seeing it for the first time.

Racism pushed Sandra Bullock down a flight of stairs. That doesn't exactly help the case against it.

He probably assumed it was implied in relation to the conversation. But I dunno. I'll let him speak for himself

Yes, I did. Since Avatar is a mix of live-action and then cg/mo-cap, I was speaking about effects mixing with live action. Coraline and Mr. Fox are entirely different, and not really applicable to an uncanny valley discussion.

But it's clear this discussion is going absolutely nowhere, so, there's that.

Yes, I did. Since Avatar is a mix of live-action and then cg/mo-cap, I was speaking about effects mixing with live action. Coraline and Mr. Fox are entirely different, and not really applicable to an uncanny valley discussion.

But it's clear this discussion is going absolutely nowhere, so, there's that.

Well, if you liked Avatar then you probably can't appreciate the nuances of this conversation, please consider that.

Cool Runnings is my favorite film as it pertains to gaining insight into racism and overcoming it.

The face of racial tension:

2sacroi.jpg

The bobsled track was a metaphor for the underground railroad. John Candy was Abraham Lincoln

And the prohibitive costs of making Avatar will ensure that these so-called advancements will only be useful for making sci-fi/fantasy blockbuster movies. What, are we going to see high-brow intellectual fare animated in 3D in the future? The latest low-brow rom-com? I thought not.

Well Star Wars made film advancements with motion control camera work, and The Abyss among others advanced CGI, but these kind of technical advancements were always for furthering the creation of other-worldly experiences, of course this is the realm of blockbusters. Perhaps this technology will some day become so cost-effective that avant-garde or indie filmmakers utilize it amongst their tools as well, but I don't think this is what Cameron is aiming for exactly.

In other news... HOLY CRAP! This weekend was the biggest aggregated box office weekend in history.

Avatar falls a whopping 2% from it's opening weekend.
Sherlock Holmes opens to $65m
f'n Chipmunks make $50
Meryl brings in $22m.

Avatar is $166k away from the second weekend record on a rather conservative estimate. Also, this is a fall from 77-75m, The Dark Knight has the record for going from 158-75. The 3rd weekend record, still held by the original Spider-Man at $45m is going to be shattered with Avatar having another holiday weekend.

The perfect box office storm for Cameron. It's made $615m WW already, he could quite handily rank Avatar only behind his own movie as the #2 movie of all time before all is said and done.

Yeah, the film's B.O. numbers are pretty damn insane. Far beyond what I expected. Looks like Anne Thompson might end up pretty spot on with her predictions after all.

Well the box office nuts/movie geeks thought this could happen years ago, but then the normal people of the world really knew nothing about it, and the response to early trailers was tepid, so its surprising to see it live up to that hype as well.

Goes to show that good films with good worth of mouth can still dominate these days, even ones as goofy and unusual as Avatar.

I hate James Cameron and all of his CG bullshit, but I hate all movies because anytime you capture something on film it's a thin perspective of it's intended subject (plus we all know that film can steal your soul). I also dislike stage drama cause that shit ain't real.

I once told my friends that I made a movie and invited them to come and view a screening. When they got to the theater, I let them know that I hated artificial images and invited them to close their eyes and imagine the scenes while I read the script. When I finished, I spent 45 minutes berating them for fucking up a few scenes. Some people have no imagination.

I once told my friends that I made a movie and invited them to come and view a screening. When they got to the theater, I let them know that I hated artificial images and invited them to close their eyes and imagine the scenes while I read the script. When I finished, I spent 45 minutes berating them for fucking up a few scenes. Some people have no imagination.

See you can do shit like this when you traffic in peyote.

medicine_man_cheyene.jpg

This fucking movie is sold out in IMAX in my mall for the next 3 days!

I hate James Cameron and all of his CG bullshit, but I hate all movies because anytime you capture something on film it's a thin perspective of it's intended subject (plus we all know that film can steal your soul). I also dislike stage drama cause that shit ain't real.

:lmao:

Back
Top Bottom