I Signed Up for Netflix Today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
...and added 115 DVDs to my queue in an afternoon. To be fair, 24 of those are "Alias" DVDs, and another 50 are other TV series DVDs. :shifty:

So as someone who has a pent up demand for movie/TV series watching, anyone have any suggestions? All genres are welcome. :sexywink:

Melon

Wow! I have netflix also and about 90 movies in my queue. I would suggest watching really old movies from back in the 60's and 70's and reminisce how great the movies used to be.

Jesus Christ...I just saw you could have 8 movies out at a time for something like $47.99 a month. Something to consider when I get a real income someday, instead of getting cable TV. :hmm:

For now, I'm contented with the 3 at a time plan. ;)

Melon

Dulce de Leche said:
Foreign movies :up:

Have you seen Goodbye Lenin?

:up: :up:

I have. I think it's so-so, but I also had two years of film studies so I tend to take a lot of fun out of films...lol.

But with that, I have various things in my queue so far like:

1) South Park
2) Cowboy Bebop
3) Curb Your Enthusiasm
4) Twin Peaks
5) Aqua Teen Hunger Force
6) A Very Long Engagement
7) F for Fake
8) La Dolce Vita
9) La Femme Nikita
10) Pee Wee's Big Adventure

What a mix, right? :wink:

Melon

Alias is great. We just finished watching all of the Smallville seasons. They were great as well. I have Dark Angel lined up next. I was thinking about the X-Files. We have cartoons as well (Batman, Justice League, X-men, Superman, Spider-man, Teen Titans). I love superheroes.

melon said:

I have. I think it's so-so, but I also had two years of film studies so I tend to take a lot of fun out of films...lol.

But with that, I have various things in my queue so far like:

1) South Park
2) Cowboy Bebop
3) Curb Your Enthusiasm
4) Twin Peaks
5) Aqua Teen Hunger Force
6) A Very Long Engagement
7) F for Fake
8) La Dolce Vita
9) La Femme Nikita
10) Pee Wee's Big Adventure

What a mix, right? :wink:

Melon

Next time I hang out with melon we're watching us some movies! :drool: Great choices!

BTW, what do you Netflix users think of the service? There's been people on the internet complaining that they get slow and have progressively worse service the longer you're a member. But we know how the internet can be; people complain.

What do you all think?

Melon

I have no experience with Netflix personally, but someone at the Ryan Adams board posted this last month:

~~~

Anybody else having problems with their Netflix recently? Here is a letter that Sarah and I wrote to Netflix about movie delays and damaged discs.

Thought you might like to read it. Should be good for a laugh.

----------------------------------------

To whom it may concern:

I am ready to cancel my Netflix account. Over the past month and a half your service has been increasingly unsatisfactory. As little as three months ago I could put a DVD in the mail on a Tuesday and receive a new DVD on Thursday. Let me give you an example of how things are now: I placed the movie "Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster" in the mail on Saturday. This movie was reported received by Netflix on Thursday, at which time I received an e-mail that morning telling me that the movie had been received and that the next DVD in queue would be shipped out that same day. Upon checking my queue Thursday evening, lo and behold, my movie was now scheduled to be shipped on Friday. When the movie was actually shipped I was given information that I should not expect to receive the DVD until the following Tuesday. A week and a half turnaround time is unacceptable... especially since we live less than 30 miles from the nearest distribution center. I could walk there and back quicker than I am scheduled to receive this title. This is increasingly becoming more and more of a problem.

The main reason that I upgraded my account to "5 movies at a time" was so that I would always have a movie to watch on any given day. This plan has been soundly defeated by Netflix's current situation. This weekend I should have had 5 movies to watch and yet, I only have 2.

During my twenty minute search for your customer service telephone number (very well hidden, indeed; well played), I stumbled across your “terms of use” page. Imagine my surprise when I read this:

"In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service. As a result, those subscribers who receive the most movies may experience next-day shipping and receive movies lower in their queue more often than our other
subscribers."

Pardon me? Let me get this straight: If I pay Netflix less money per month, I would receive my movies in a more timely fashion? Would it be more advantageous for me to receive fewer movies at a time and, thus, lower my monthly payment to Netflix in order to receive my discs more quickly? If this is so, let me know and I will be happy to tell all my friends who subscribe to Netflix to do the same. I do not understand why a subscriber who pays less money would receive preferential treatment over one who pays 3 times as much. Let’s play a little game, shall we? Theoretically, a single movie subscriber (with preferential treatment) could receive and return 3 movies within a week's time. Thus, I, a 5 movie subscriber could conceivably receive 15 movies within a week's time. Even if you wanted to play it by what Netflix charges me (3 times what a single movie subscriber pays), I should at least be able to receive 9 movies a week. It's just simple mathematics. As it currently stands, I feel lucky to receive 4. Does this seem right to you?

I understand that, on occasion, the movie at the top of my queue might not be available at the nearest distribution center, and, as a result, my turnaround time might be increased. If this is so, might I not, instead, receive the closest available movie? (I will not even go into the fact that you seem to have only limited copies of certain titles) I am aware that many of the films in my queue are of a more esoteric nature. But, if I wanted to rent a copy of "Monster-in-Law", which I'm sure is available in multiple copies at every Netflix distribution center, I would just go to the local video store. (As it stands now, I'm forced to go my local specialty video store anyway every Friday because I haven't received my movies from Netflix in a timely manner... this is costing me $40 a month just to be supplied with the same number of movies I should be receiving from Netflix every week)

As for the quality of discs received from Netflix, this too, has decreased over time. I understand how some discs might be damaged in the shipping process. Just last week, I received a disc that was completely broken in two. Clearly, this is not the fault of Netflix. What I fail to understand is why approximately 20% of our received discs are damaged to some degree (scratches, dirty discs, etc.). That works out to be about one disc out of five... I would like say that it works out to one disc per week but I rarely receive five discs in one week as stated above. It seems to me, that somewhere along the line, certain customers are not handling these discs in a proper fashion. For example, a disc that we received this week looked like someone had skipped it across the asphalt, rendering the last half of the film completely unwatchable. I just reported the disc as damaged and had quite a chuckle at the “automated” e-mail I received in response saying “We go to great lengths to ensure the movies you get will play without any problems but occasionally a few get through our inspections…” I do not believe for one minute that Netflix inspects every disc received. If that were true, I would not have half of the problems I am having, and I would, right this minute, be enjoying the last half of “Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris”. If that disc was inspected, kudos to you for hiring the blind.

There is nothing more frustrating than being an hour into a film and, just when everything is getting good, the discs begins to behave in an erratic manner. Should some penalty not be placed upon the customers who receive previously pristine discs and return them in a damaged fashion? I would like to point out that I take excellent care of the discs that I receive and send them back in the exact condition in which they arrived.

At this point, Netflix is on the verge of losing my business. I have been a loyal Netflix patron for over 2 years. I would like to go on record as saying that, initially, I was quite pleased with your service. I even went as far as to recommend your service to friends, who have since subscribed. Recently though, Netflix has increasingly disappointed me.

I would appreciate a timely response to this e-mail, and I would like my individual concerns addressed.

By the way, I tried to send this via the Netflix website but it would not allow me. Curious.

Thank you for your time.

Melon, if you do not rent Six Feet Under (starting from season one) now that you have Netflix, I swear I will demand your death!@ And cake is not an option on this one, only SFU or death!

U2Girl1978 said:
:hmm: Interesting. I'm on the 3 movies plan and I have had no problem.

How frequently do you return them? Just curious. I get the sense that the people complaining are those who watch all their DVDs on one day then return them all the next. And so they expect to have something like 50 DVDs a month.

But I guess I'll find out myself. "South Park: Season 6" is on its way. :sexywink:

Melon

Doozer61 said:
ALIAS :drool:

Melon, you could have borrowed mine for free!

They're further down my queue, so I won't get them for a while.

Are you offering? :sexywink:

Melon

I've had the service for about 2 years now. Love it. LOVE IT! :drool:

I'm on the 5 out plan (no cable tv). I have had a few damaged disks (cracked, broken, scratched to hell), but really I blame the post office for it. Usually the packaging is damaged as well. I report the disks and they send a replacement right out.

I'd say I've gotten consistent results with turn-around. I mail them out and a day or two later Netflix receives them. They mail another disk out usually the same day and I often get them the next day. In my 2 years, I haven't noticed any changes in their consistency, but I think a lot of it depends on the distribution center the movies come from and the postal service.

Calluna said:
Melon, if you do not rent Six Feet Under (starting from season one) now that you have Netflix, I swear I will demand your death!@ And cake is not an option on this one, only SFU or death!

Don't worry. I put it in my queue on the first day...hehe.

Melon

family guy dvd perhaps?

or maybe Arrested Development seasons 1 or 2 and the 1st season of The Office, the American verison

melon, I LOVE Netflix. I've been a member for over a year and never had one tiny little problem. If I mail back a movie on Tuesday, like I did this week, there will be another one in my mailbox on Saturday. I honestly don't know how they get them to me so fast so consistently in an area where the mail system seems like a third world country half the time. I've never received a bad DVD or received anything late or had any issues with billing.

I have never had more than about 10-15 movies in my queue at a time so I think you need to give me some suggestions! I go to www.rottentomatoes.com to look at new DVD releases and reviews. I currently have Spongebob's Square Pants and Sin City, with The Interpreter on its way.

One thing I'd recommend is the Martin Scorcese Bob Dylan documentary "No Direction Home" if you missed it on PBS. Even if you're not a fan, you'll appreciate his genuis, I think.

I have tons of TV shows and anime series, so that kind of inflates my list...hehe.

Melon

Just thought of another nice little film I saw recently that's just out on DVD--"Me and You and Everyone We Know." Put it on the list if you haven't seen it. And "Six Feet Under." :drool:

Back
Top Bottom