"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - ****SPOILERS*** - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:19 AM
"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - ****SPOILERS***

It's finally out on July 15th. A lot of critics are saying it's the best one yet. The book is one of my favorites, so I'm hoping the movie does it justice. I feel the movies have been getting better and better with each one (as the books did, IMO), with the movie exception being "Goblet of Fire" which left out too many important plot points. My friends and I are all pretty excited, but

I'm pretty much gonna bawl my eyes out when Dumbledore dies, and I'm fully prepared for it.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
HCL
War Child

Local Time: 07:19 AM
Y'know... it's fun to see this on a spoiler tag. All my friends... most haven't read the books, but all of them know this happens already.

Anyway, even though I think Michael Gambon does an awful job portraying Dumbledore, I'm really looking foward for this. It'll be hell, but I think I'll try to go on opening day.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff View Post
Y'know... it's fun to see this on a spoiler tag. All my friends... most haven't read the books, but all of them know this happens already.

Anyway, even though I think Michael Gambon does an awful job portraying Dumbledore, I'm really looking foward for this. It'll be hell, but I think I'll try to go on opening day.
Am I the only one that thinks Michael Gambon does a fine job playing Dumbledore? It's weird because I think Richard Harris was missing the playful, almost youthful spirit of Dumbledore that comes across in the books, but he played the wise, guiding part of Dumbledore perfectly. It's the exact opposite with Gambon. He has the spunky part of Dumbledore, but the wisdom and and almost grandfatherly rapport with Harry isn't as prominent. I think they both do/did a great job with the character, but if you could combine them both, they'd be perfect.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
HCL
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Michael Gambon does a fine job playing Dumbledore? It's weird because I think Richard Harris was missing the playful, almost youthful spirit of Dumbledore that comes across in the books, but he played the wise, guiding part of Dumbledore perfectly. It's the exact opposite with Gambon. He has the spunky part of Dumbledore, but the wisdom and and almost grandfatherly rapport with Harry isn't as prominent. I think they both do/did a great job with the character, but if you could combine them both, they'd be perfect.
Well, it's been a long time since I've watched the first two, but... I still feel that Richard Harris' portrayal was closer to the books. I think Gambon is way too... let me think of a word... mannered. He takes Dumbledore's youthful side too far maybe, on the sense that his "calm and collected" appearance is lost, and that is what makes me like the character so much. I guess this is why I have a big problem with Gambon.
Also, after watching films like Layer Cake and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover it's weird to see Gambon doing such a friendly role.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:19 AM
I'd agree that Gambon's portrayal is a bit too active, I guess. Besides the random "I'm choking you, Harry" moment in Goblet, he's been getting progressively better through each film. It's certainly a difference from Harris' Dumbledore, who looked like he was about to keel over at any moment.

Half-Blood is my favorite book in the series, probably because it felt the most cinematic of the bunch, to me at least. The last third of the book is incredible.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 09:19 PM
I cannot wait. The last two books are my favs, so its the time i've been waiting for!
Cannot wait to see Snape again. HAWT.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Michael Gambon does a fine job playing Dumbledore?
No, I always thought he did a good job.

Weirdly enough, it's the portrayal of Snape in the movies that always bugged me. I love Alan Rickman but IMO he's both too old and too handsome to play Snape, and the screenwriters really toned down Snape's nasty (and often cruel) side and explosive temper in the movies. Which I feel takes a lot away from the character.

Still, I look forward to the movie though I didn't think much of Order of the Phoenix and kinda suspect that the sixth film will suffer from similar problems. As long as they don't stuff up the end scenes from the cave onwards, which is IMO still the best ending in the entire series.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I think all the Potter films have kind of been shit to a certain extent to be honest. And no, I haven't read the books. Even Cuaron's film strikes me as shockingly pedestrian and uninspired, though it's still miles better than his previous two english-language films.

I've actually enjoyed the last film the most out of the lot of them, and I'm encouraged that Yates is returning for the rest of them. This film has the best look of the films so far at least, so there's that going for it. Jeunet's favored DP if I remember correctly here.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:19 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing it. I remember that when I saw Order of the Phoenix, I'd pretty much forgotten everything that happened in the book (except that Harry was kind of a whiny little bitch), so it was mostly "new".

I fully expect that to be my experience with this one, too, except for that spoiler spoiler spoiler thing at the end.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
HCL
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I'd agree that Gambon's portrayal is a bit too active, I guess. Besides the random "I'm choking you, Harry" moment in Goblet,
Which moment are you talking about? If you're thinking the same I am, it's exactly this part that made me don't like Gambon's portrayal in the first place.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff View Post
Which moment are you talking about? If you're thinking the same I am, it's exactly this part that made me don't like Gambon's portrayal in the first place.
When Harry's name came out of the goblet and they're in Double D's office.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
HCL
War Child

Yup, exactly. A pretty WTF moment if you ask me. That's not at all like Dumbledore in the books. Of course, I'm not judging Gambon on this only. There's several other moments where he seems way out of character.
And btw, I don't blame him only... the director has a large part on this.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, a lot of character moments in that film were way off, especially with Hermione.

I still think the only two movies worth a shit are Azkaban and Phoenix. Hopefully this one will follow suit.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

never heard of it
Old 07-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

God. 13 posts in this thread and I have so much to say.

Do I have it in me right now, on a Sunday afternoon, after a night of copious rabble-rousing, to type a long response to everything that's been said in this thread? We will find out shortly.

Tags
harry potter