Community: This Is The Darkest Timeline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JE gets shot, is off the show for a season, then it turns out that it was all in the dream of one character. JR's back on the show and the entire previous season was thrown out.

If I was Harmon, I'd do what you said. Pierce is an issue but they could think of something.

Wow, can't believe I'm excited for season five. It's also great that they're not starting in September so they'll have longer to prep.

Man, Harmon absolutely fucking savaged season four.

It's from his latest podcast, which you can stream here. He starts talking about it from the outset. 60 - Us Of The Dangling Wee-Wee from Harmontown on podbay: open podcasting

It's really worth a listen, it's pretty funny, but if you can't be bothered, you can read some of the quotes here. He talks about wanting Bill Murray to have played Jeff's dad.

Dan Harmon had some predictably harsh words for Community's fourth season | TV | Newswire | The A.V. Club

Dan Harmon Didn't Care for 'Community' Season 4 | Splitsider

Good start, S5!

Vulture:

Back in June, we told you that Donald Glover was looking to spend less time at Greendale and more time with Childish Gambino. Well, now it appears to really be happening: Vulture has learned that the actor's reps and Community producer Sony Pictures Television have worked out a new agreement that will see Glover appearing as Troy Barnes in just five of the show's upcoming thirteen episodes, according to sources familiar with the matter. The studio probably could have insisted on Glover committing to all thirteen half-hour episodes (or more, if NBC ordered them), but as often happens in Hollywood, both camps found a way to compromise. Glover will now be able to focus more on his music, while Sony will save some money since it won't have to pay Glover for every episode. (Of course, once and future showrunner Dan Harmon might find a way to spend that extra coin. Maybe a 3-D episode?) Reps for Sony and Glover couldn't immediately be reached for comment, while reps for Abed Nadir were doing all they could to keep the news from him.

Jan 2.

Very excited John Oliver is returning. Starburns is apparently back as well, as is Rob Corddry (loved his character).

Guest stars - Jonathan Banks, David Cross, Vince Gilligan, Mitch Hurwitz, among others. Sadly the dude who plays Castle in Castle is gonna guest star as well. I hate that show.

Did I miss any major plot points by giving up on Season 4 after three episodes? Also, have I asked this question here before? Because there's a high likelihood that I did.

Pierce left and Sara Bareilles showed up for like 10 seconds looking hot as shit. I've pretty much repressed everything else.

Oh and Troy and Britta were shoehorned into the least convincing TV relationship this side of James Spader and his Blacklist fedora.

I remember the Troy and Britta relationship beginnings. I bailed after cringing through an episode where Annie was pretending to be Jeff's wife in a hotel or something. I might not have even finished that episode.

Also Inspector Spacetime was done to death, resurrected, and then killed again.

I don't remember much else from season four. And that is a good thing.

Jeff also reunited with his Dad at Thanksgiving. Stuff like that being botched is why I wanted Harmon to retcon the whole season.

Sadly the dude who plays Castle in Castle is gonna guest star as well. I hate that show.

That's Captain Mal Reynolds you punk, show some gorram respect.

I rediscovered my Community season 2 DVD at the bottom of a storage box last weekend, so I rewatched the season premiere, Cooperative Calligraphy, and the Halloween episode for probably the first time in at least 2 years. All as good or better than I remember, really funny and creative stuff.

Well, Shirley's Baby and the Chang puns started, so I guess you can't win 'em all.

Funny, we watched about half of season two last night. It's almost uniformly great. Paradigms of Human Memory in particular is a real highlight.

If I recall correctly you started souring on the show a bit earlier than everyone else. I always liked the Chang puns, and he was hilarious in season two. The blackface elf and oiling himself up are two of the hardest laughs I've had watching the show. I love just about every episode of the first three seasons, truly.

I still say "Now you're talkin' my changuage".

well, in my head, but I think it.

The best way I'd put it is I thought Season 2 got pretty erratic. But I want to wait until I actually see the backhalf of the season again before being more specific-some episodes I disliked I've only ever seen once.

yes

In the first episode, I loved how the plot flowed around basically a pretty simple premise in the study room and kept building on it. That's totally a vintage season 1/2 vibe, and it was a great feeling when Alan walked into the room and I realized they'd done it again. And the way the second episode cut-and even just staged- Annie in Jeff's class and the rest of the gang in Professor Garrity's class made Cornwallis's class and the Hunger Games take from last season feel tense in comparison. This felt relaxed and confident, and most importantly, funny. This was great.

"Troy, your entire identity has been consumed by your relationship with another man."

"You found my Clive Owen Tumblr?!?"

This past episode was all kinds of bizarre, and while hilarious (particularly the Dean, clearly the MVP here) and well executed (barring perhaps the twist at the end, just because it's out of place in this particular episode) it feels a bit early for them to go concept episode given all the heavy lifting they set up with the first two episodes and what the end of this one sets up for next week.

I was a bit mystified at first, thinking I was overthinking the David Fincher-ness of it all but, but it became clear pretty early. Granted, serial killer films are clearly the "genre" here, but the bulk of it is Fincher and I have a feeling that more than any other parody they've ever done stuff went over the audience's head, including many of their crazy cult level fans.

The set up is clearly Zodiac (the "killer" gleefully writing to the authorities, the detectives becoming obsessed with an ultimately unsolvable case, Annie realizing she's talking to a likely suspect once she's already alone with him, etc.) but there are a lot of other direct references to Fincher's work (down to Shirley's kids singing a version of Radiohead's "Creep" that's very similar to the one that scored the teaser trailer for The Social Network) including Seven. The fact that it's raining all the damn time, doing library research while playing the same Bach piece that Morgan Freeman's character did, the chase scene with Star Burns at the end, there's a lot of Seven in it.

It's a bit convoluted though, first off Zodiac, while an incredible film, was a flop and isn't all that highly seen, so hinging the whole thing on that as a parody was interesting when Fincher has a more recent and widely known serial killer mystery in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that's more widely seen and not really referenced here; but also it throws in a lot of other references to other serial killer things like Red Dragon (the opening credits mirror Red Dragon's) and the tv version of Hannibal is referenced with the antlers in the stable scene, and when Abed goes on his rant about mildly autistic detectives on broadcast and cable tv (and then proceeded to delete episodes of Hannibal and The Bridge from his DVR).

Oh, and Walton Fucking Goggins is on next week, my favorite TV actor on my favorite show, excellent.

I'm probably the one millionth person on the internet to point it out, but it was lame that they so blatantly ripped off a classic 30 Rock joke with Jeff's Dave Matthews line.

Meh, I didn't make much of an impact given all the rest of the episode. I wasn't partial enough to the line on 30 Rock to have remembered it either.

Back
Top Bottom