Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #527
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:17 PM
by this time next week Rotten Tomatoes will rate it below Batman Begins
it will be Nolan's 6th best film.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:50 AM   #528
The Male

The ratings for Nolan's movies are very strange to me. Insomnia is way too high, but I guess it's just that kind of film...inoffensive, nothing all that groundbreaking, but well-made. Hey, if everybody gives it a 7, it's still 100%.

And the Prestige is absolutely wonderful.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #529
Blue Crack Addict

I like Rises better than Begins.

My Nolan rankings in terms of sheer enjoyment would go The Dark Knight, Inception, The Prestige, [The Dark Knight Rises*], Batman Begins, Memento, Insomnia.

Haven't seen Following.

*In brackets as it is the only Nolan film I've seen less than 3 times so it won't definitely stay there forever, but it's comfortable there now.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #530
Refugee

Local Time: 07:17 PM
TDKR has neither the freshness of a reboot (Begins) on its side, nor a truly memorable villain (the incomparable Heath in TDK). Begins, to be fair, had dull villains, but Nolan's bold "realistic" take is the driving force that keeps it fresh and interesting for me. I think most of TDKR problems stem from Bane. He's such a limited one note character, by the 90 minute mark I'd lost all interest in his agendas. The key to The Joker was his unpredictability, genuine menace and chilling machinations. Bane wants to reduce Gotham to ashes. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #531
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:17 PM
This is obviously just my opinion, but I found Bane to be the better villain (not performance, although I thought Hardy was excellent in his own right) because I truly could see him besting Batman. Never in TDK did I feel like the Joker could win, but Bane's combination of menace and physical superiority were unnerving and enough to put doubt in my mind. His moral code wasn't as compelling as the Joker's uninhibited chaos, but he more than made up for it with brute force.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #532
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
This is obviously just my opinion, but I found Bane to be the better villain (not performance, although I thought Hardy was excellent in his own right) because I truly could see him besting Batman. Never in TDK did I feel like the Joker could win, but Bane's combination of menace and physical superiority were unnerving and enough to put doubt in my mind. His moral code wasn't as compelling as the Joker's uninhibited chaos, but he more than made up for it with brute force.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #533
The Male

I had doubts of Batman's superiority because of the marketing, tagline, etc. but that's it. Bane always had a huge, obvious weakpoint that Batman could exploit, and this one was almost as lame as unplugging a bottle of venom strapped to his back.

I'm just not convinced that Bane was a great lead villain. Thankfully, he had a partner in crime. I loved that.

Now.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #534
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
My Nolan rankings in terms of sheer enjoyment would go The Dark Knight, Inception, The Prestige, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman Begins, Memento, Insomnia.
That would be my list too.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #535
The Male

Inception, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Memento, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Rises, Insomnia.

Now.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #536
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
It took me out of the movie nearly every time he spoke, and it didn't help that he was quite loquacious. I may have laughed out loud when he started speaking over the PA at the football stadium. I can imagine the spectators "Can you have someone translate that please scary mask guy? We're pretty sure we're supposed to be terrified, but we don't know of what!"
Haha, yes. That's just how I felt. I thought it was ridiculous, and I hated Bane. Just wanted him off the screen. I know, there's a guy in a batsuit and all kinds of other nonsensical silliness, but that's all still on a certain level for me. Couldn't understand much of his dialogue either (that was probably a good thing), like other people have said. I prefer the Joker, even though he couldn't kick Batman's butt with one hand behind his back like Bane could. Going up against him in the Joker ways is far more interesting. I remember reading the rumor that they wanted to make The Riddler the villain before it ended up being Bane.

I loved Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon Levitt. But I loved The Dark Knight more than Rises.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #537
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:17 AM

Just saw it today.

Wow. That's taking one wannabe great trilogy (but in actuality only one truly great movie in the bunch) and ruining your shots. I realize TDK was never going to be topped but they could have at least tried harder.

It needs to decide whether it's Nolan's Occupy! movie (as opposed to the 9/11 movie with TDK), or a movie about pain, or a plain war movie.

Now, the good. The best part is Caine's performance. Utterly blew everyone away. Another good part is they got another good villain. Didn't mind the mask, or the voice, just something about his way of speaking bothered me. Too posh sounding, not enough menacing. But the power of the performance was in the intense gase and sheer force of his body, with the Joker Batman was playing mind games, but this one will get to him physically. His analitical terrorism was a nice counterpart to Joker's chaos and anarchy. Liked Catwoman...until she turned around to help the Bat in the end. Too predictable and cheesy. The twist at the ending was good, about the only useful thing about that character to begin with. And until this movie, I wasn't sold on Bale as Batman. He actually showed some range this time.

The bad. Too long - the first half hour or so until Bane showed up at the stock exchange was a snooze -, too "epic" (Hollywood needs to learn bigger isn't always better) and a spectacular fail at the ending*. Too many flashbacks and cameos from previous movies (yet without the best villain! not even a few seconds of the Joker) too. And the series needs to to focus on one villain at a time (only have Scarecrow in Begins, only Joker in TDK and only Bane in DKR) instead of having several ones each time ?

*Seriously ? Batman can survive a NUKE going off in immediate vicinity (followed closely with a little magic touch that can heal his paralysis and broken back) ? Can't the trilogy just end it with that wide shot of the explosion and call it a day with killing Batman ? But yet another Hollywood blockbuster that doesn't dare to finish off the main hero, and yet another wannabe sequel ending with the unnecessary character of officer Blake (who geniously knows all about the truth behind Dent's death and Batman's identity) inheriting the Cave.

By some distance, the weakest of the so called trilogy.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #538
Blue Crack Addict

Old 07-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #539
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Obviously if Heath was still alive they'd have used the Joker.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #540
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
Obviously if Heath was still alive they'd have used the Joker.
As the judge instead of Crane