American Idol - Season 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know...this season has not made me mad at who has been voted out at all! the actual best 2 are still on :applaud:

I have a feeling Lee is gonna win. I do like both finalists, too :up:

I agree. I think many of the fangirl votes were probably split between Lee and Casey and now with Casey gone I have to think that those that were voting for Casey will now jump on the Lee bandwagon.

That would probably work out fine for Crystal - a year after last year's finale, who the heck is even thinking about Kris Allen?

In fact it almost seems like the runner-ups have a more successful career than the winner does..

Not attacking your comment here, this just inspired me to take a look at how that winner vs. runner-up dynamic has broken down over the years.

Kelly Clarkson v. Justin Guarini - The winner here has had the more successful career, obviously. Steve Carell ain't screaming "JUSTIN GUARINI!" when he gets his chest waxed in that movie.

Ruben Studdard v. Clay Aiken - Not sure about total record sales (although they're probably close) but I would say that more people around the country are familiar with the name Clay Aiken than Ruben Studdard. He seems to have had more mainstream pop culture exposure. But, all in all, I'd say this is a wash.

Fantasia Barrino v. Diana Degarmo - Oh, god. Not even close. Fantasia was on tour with Kanye for a while, was in The Color Purple on Broadway, got her own show, etc. No one has any idea what Diana Degarmo has done, or if she's still alive.

Carrie Underwood v. Bo Bice - Ummm, yeah.

Taylor Hicks v. Katherine McPhee - Neither have had successful recording careers, but I think McPhee is maybe more in the public consciousness at this point (although barely) because of her recent attempts to break through as an actress. But this is probably a wash.

Jordin Sparks v. Blake Lewis - Sparks has had a couple of big hits, both here and overseas, and Lewis has not. End story.

David Cook v. David Archuleta - Don't know who has sold more. However, I think these two are both at the same levels of popularity/success among their markets. Another wash.

Kris Allen v. Adam Lambert - As Cori said, people care way more about Glambo than they do Kris, at least right now.

So, really, looking at it, I think the winners maybe have had more success overall than the runners up. But I'm just bored and splitting hairs. It's very close. That being said, I really really really want Crystal to beat Lee. Peace out.

Daughtry has indeed had major success. Elliott Yamin had some too.

I watched Simon Cowell on Oprah and he said the two contestants he knew for certain, based on their auditions, that would be successful were Fantasia and Carrie Underwood.

So he didnt even write the song himself? :huh:

No. Idol has a bad habit of not releasing songs that have been written by the Idol contestant, even when it appears they have some talent at it. His next single was co-written with Train's lead singer. They did the same thing to David Cook, I believe.

^Ack. I hope Lee wins.

I don't want the Idol producers screwing up Crystal's vibe.

No. Idol has a bad habit of not releasing songs that have been written by the Idol contestant, even when it appears they have some talent at it. His next single was co-written with Train's lead singer. They did the same thing to David Cook, I believe.

Wow that's kind of stupid imo.

News for today. Don't know if they are spoilers or not, so I will tag them just in case.

American Idol 9 Final Week Rumors – 05/25/10
May 25th, 2010 | Author: mj

This thread is going to be the central repository for rumors/confirmation about this week’s final and finale.

I’m keeping this post pinned, so keep checking back for updates. (The rest of today’s posts are below)

RUMORS

* @h20waterconvo tweeted last night: “Fox 11 News just said Lee & Crystal will sing 3 songs each tomorrow – winner’s song, producer’s pick and contestant’s choice.”
* Hollywood Life is reporting that Lee Dwyze and Crystal Bowersox will sing with Joe Cocker at the Idol finale! ! Read more HERE.
* “American Idols Top 10 perform “Schools out For The Summer” by Alice Cooper Tuesday” via @MIX1063 (if this is true, I would think the group number is for Wednesday’s finale)
* People magazine reported that Paula Abdul will appear to help send off Simon Cowell. At the very least, she will probably appear in a video tribute.
* Janet Jackson will perform on the results show.
* Chicago, the Bee Gees and Hall and Oats have supposedly been tapped to keep the Baby Boomer demo happy.
* Cleveland radio station @WQAL “Seems the Christina Aguilera rumor is true.. as we hear the gals practicing Stronger! Sounds Good!”
* @WQAL “Rehearsals going on… The Boys are practicing a rendition of “Pants on the Ground!!!”
* Idol Tracker reports that the Melissa Etheridge/Crystal Bowersox duet may be back on the table (The appearance contract Etheridge signed with Dancing With The Stars would not allow her to appear on the Idol finale)”

Idols who have confirmed their return to the Finale (or not)

* Elliott Yamin tweeted on Monday: “my homie taytay hicks gets in town 2day…gonna get 2 share the stage with him again!..1st time since r idol days..can yall guess what 4 ??” (Tay tay is Taylor Hicks).
* Michael Johns tweeted on Monday: “It was fun being back at the Idol finale today. Good to see some old friends. I got asked to perform on Wednesday night. Pretty excited…Can’t give too many details sorry but its going to be pretty epic”
* Blake Lewis tweeted last night that he WILL NOT BE PERFORMING on the finale

Confirmed to Perform:

* Will Young will sing the boot song, “Leave Right Now” on Tuesday night’s performance show.
* Christina Aguilera, Carrie Underwood, Kris Allen and Enrique Iglesias will be appearing on Wednesday’s finale to perform their new singles.

And Simon Cowell appears on Ellen today, bidding goodbye to Idol,

http://mjsbigblog.com/simon-cowell-bids-goodbye-on-the-ellen-degeneres-show-video.htm#more-26253

UPDATE: Randy Jackson told George Lopez last night that he thinks Lee DeWyze will win. Check it out HERE or after the jump.

Simon Cowell sat with Ellen Degeneres on her talk show to discuss his remarkable run as judge on American Idol, and to predict this year’s winner.

Simon says Lee DeWyze will win American Idol, but we knew he’d say that. (He claims that if you asked him 5 or 6 weeks ago, he would have said Crystal Bowersox).

I'll probably watch Wednesday night, but not tonight. I want to see the farewell roll-out for Simon.

American Idol 9 Final 2 Song Spoilers

I don’t have real song spoilers–clues only for Lee. But, I’ll be updating this post as more info comes in.

From IDF: Clues for Lee DeWyze’s songs (this spoiler has never been wrong):

Song #1: “He is going to be put into a rink and fight it out or he doesn’t have to think outside the box for this song”
Song #2: “Everybody might hurt after this song.”
Song #3: “He might have an awful day.”
“The third song they are both singing. However it was not a song just written for them. It did play a big part in American Idols past.”

I’m hearing that the song order will go:

* Personal Choice
* Producer’s Choice
* Coronation Song

American Idol 9 Final 2 Song Spoilers

I don’t have real song spoilers–clues only for Lee. But, I’ll be updating this post as more info comes in.

From IDF: Clues for Lee DeWyze’s songs (this spoiler has never been wrong):

Song #1: “He is going to be put into a rink and fight it out or he doesn’t have to think outside the box for this song”
Song #2: “Everybody might hurt after this song.”
Song #3: “He might have an awful day.”
“The third song they are both singing. However it was not a song just written for them. It did play a big part in American Idols past.”

I’m hearing that the song order will go:

* Personal Choice
* Producer’s Choice
* Coronation Song

Oh hell no.

After today's news if song 2 is Everybody Hurts, I might just slit my wrists. That is the most depressing song of all time.

Oh and that third song could be "Bad Day" Really Idol? Really?

Oh lord. I've been reading comments at MJs and here's a spoiler alert.

Lee might be singing Beautiful Day. I love Lee, but I'm not sure he has the vocal range for that? Although, it could be interesting if he rearranges it? Maybe? So apparently, they only pull out the U2 for the big guns.

From TMZ Song Spoilers:

Crystal: Me and Bobby McGee!, Black Velvet and her coronation song "Up to the Mountain" Lee: The Boxer, Everybody Hurts (wrist slitting time) and his coronation song "Beautiful Day". Now since both of those are titles of well known songs, I'm guessing no original song this year? This should be interesting. Also, there are apparently strings involved in "Beautiful Day".
:crack:

Back
Top Bottom