Achmed, the Terrorist. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #31
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Reading this is more entertaining than anything Dunham's ever done. I chuckled at bits of the video, because I found the eyes/voice combination to be funny at certain points, but it's definitely nothing to rave about.

Plus, I think when you're at a club or any venue and you go to see a comedian and you get drawn it at any point, it's easier for him to sell you on weaker material... so it would make sense for people to at least laugh in person. YouTube-wise: I wouldn't doubt it either... honkies think "Chocolate Rain" was funny, too.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Judging by the amount of people in the audience laughing along, I'd say you're incorrect.

And I certainly don't think comedians have a responsibility to not create negative emotions. George Carlin certainly didn't spare anyone's feelings in his routines (and thank God for that). Neither did Bill Hicks, or Richard Pryor, or, etc, ad nauseum - NOT that I think this guy even begins to compare to them. Doubtlessly there were some, if not many, who took offense to certain things they said.

Should a comic's goal be to not offend anyone?
Comedy isn't here for negative emotions. Sure things will be said that might offend someone a little but to leave or come away angry, sad or incredibly offended is the opposite of laughter and comedy. That's my basic point, a comedian is there to make someone feel something positive through laughter. That's the point of comedy, isn't it?

Old 12-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 PM
Man makes stupid puppet jokes --> People laugh at it.

Someone is being made happy in this video. I think most of us here are in agreement that he's hardly a great comedic talent, but you can't just dismiss him the way you're doing when contrary evidence is right in the same damn video.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Man makes stupid puppet jokes --> People laugh at it.

Someone is being made happy in this video. I think most of us here are in agreement that he's hardly a great comedic talent, but you can't just dismiss him the way you're doing when contrary evidence is right in the same damn video.
I guess we have a different definition of what comedy is, which is fine.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #35
The Male

Local Time: 12:46 PM
One of the most prevalent facets of comedy is satire, which can be defined as "irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity." There's hardly anything positive about that, especially if you're the butt of the joke. At its best, comedy is often constructive and a valuable release for hidden frustrations, but the intention is not always (nor should it be) inherently upbeat or positive.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #36
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Comedy isn't here for negative emotions. Sure things will be said that might offend someone a little but to leave or come away angry, sad or incredibly offended is the opposite of laughter and comedy. That's my basic point, a comedian is there to make someone feel something positive through laughter. That's the point of comedy, isn't it?
Did you completely ignore my part about George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, etc? Your definition of comedy is too narrow. Above all comedy should be funny. There is nothing in its definition that confines it to positive emotions only.

Or, what LemonMelon said.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

The Cycle of Comedy?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
One of the most prevalent facets of comedy is satire, which can be defined as "irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity." There's hardly anything positive about that, especially if you're the butt of the joke. At its best, comedy is often constructive and a valuable release for hidden frustrations, but the intention is not always (nor should it be) inherently upbeat or positive.
I believe that the essence of comedy is laughter and laughter is a very positive thing. It shouldn't leave someone really hurt or angry. When it does, it isn't comedy in my opinion. It becomes being hurtful. Yes irony, sarcasm and wit can be very funny but can also be used to be very hurtful. It doesn't have to be upbeat but if it really hurts someone, it isn't comedy in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #39
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
When it does, it isn't comedy in my opinion.
Suffice it to say, there are a lot of people who don't share your opinion here.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #40
The Male

Quote:
I believe that the essence of comedy is laughter and laughter is a very positive thing. It shouldn't leave someone really hurt or angry. When it does, it isn't comedy in my opinion. It becomes being hurtful. Yes irony, sarcasm and wit can be very funny but can also be used to be very hurtful. It doesn't have to be upbeat but if it really hurts someone, it isn't comedy in my opinion.
So I take it that you don't find The Cycle Of _______ jokes to be very funny?

Now.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Did you completely ignore my part about George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, etc? Your definition of comedy is too narrow. Above all comedy should be funny. There is nothing in its definition that confines it to positive emotions only.
See, I disagree with the last thing you said. I think comedy MUST create positive emotions because it's purpose is to create laughter. When people come away with the opposite feeling such as hurt or anger, it isn't comedy. I don't know enough about Carlin, Hicks or Pryor to get into specifics with them.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:16 AM

i was hoping this was an appreciation thread, i think this guy is fucking hillarious.

grow a sense of humour people.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #43
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
See, I disagree with the last thing you said. I think comedy MUST create positive emotions because it's purpose is to create laughter. When people come away with the opposite feeling such as hurt or anger, it isn't comedy. I don't know enough about Carlin, Hicks or Pryor to get into specifics with them.
I'm not entirely surprised that you're not very familiar with them.

As to your point that comedy MUST creat positive emotions - the laughter itself is the positive emotion. However the laughter is not necessarily the point of the joke, or the larger point the comedian is trying to make. You should look up some Bill Hicks on YouTube to see what I'm getting at. You can be funny and make people laugh while offering up some pretty scathing commentary on people and/or society, and you can make people laugh while causing others to take considerable offense to what you're saying. It all depends on the audience, the material, and the skill of the comedian.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #44
The Male

Rant In E-Minor is a fantastic comedy record, Screw. Check that out.

Of course, since "offensive comedy" is an oxymoron, it's more like a guy talking for 70 minutes, trying to be as far from humorous as humanly possible. He absolutely succeeds.

Now.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #45
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
So you're saying you don't like comedy that hurts people.

Comedy is such a blanket term. Personally, I'm a fan of observational humor, satire, physical comedy, high-brow, low-brow, whatever can make me laugh. If it's clever, it wins. It's a way to subvert any type of ridiculous or tense situation to draw a positive response from yourself or others... but not always the butt of that joke.

To me, comedy works the same way as drama in that you need to reach a catharsis, through laughter or relaxation or something. I think you can find things that are funny without laughing at loud at them, as long as it hits you emotionally on some level.

Quote:
I'm not entirely surprised that you're not very familiar with them.

As to your point that comedy MUST creat positive emotions - the laughter itself is the positive emotion. However the laughter is not necessarily the point of the joke, or the larger point the comedian is trying to make. You should look up some Bill Hicks on YouTube to see what I'm getting at. You can be funny and make people laugh while offering up some pretty scathing commentary on people and/or society, and you can make people laugh while causing others to take considerable offense at what you're saying. It all depends on the audience, the material, and the skill of the comedian.
Definitely. Above all, you need some type of wit to fully appreciate these guys.

They're like the Scott Walkers of Comedy.

Tags
achmed the terrorist