Zack, prisoner at "ex-gay" camp, to come home this weekend - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511



i made assumptions on Ben based on what he said, what i saw, and what my experience has been. everything that Ben has said, many, many gay men have heard before, and possibly said themselves. and i'm also well aware that i'm reading into this, making an analysis, and possibly even making an assumption or two. such is the nature of discourse and conversation.

you're being argumentative on the basis of word choice -- do you have a point? or are you just going to continue to nit-pick things that are probably attributable to the casual nature of this forum?
It's not nit-picking, Irvine. You said "Poor Ben", as if you know that he's not happy, despite his very own words. For me to point out that those assumptions are not based on known facts is not nit-picking.

You say you base these assumptions based partly on your own experience. But it's not really the same experience, unless you have been to one of these camps.

You stafted out with the assumption that these camps never work, and because of that assumption, you made another assumption - that "poor Ben" is fooling himself, or not saying how he truly feels. The whole foundation for your "poor Ben" remarks is shaky, at best.
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

It's not nit-picking, Irvine. You said "Poor Ben", as if you know that he's not happy, despite his very own words. For me to point out that those assumptions are not based on known facts is not nit-picking.

You say you base these assumptions based partly on your own experience. But it's not really the same experience, unless you have been to one of these camps.

You stafted out with the assumption that these camps never work, and because of that assumption, you made another assumption - that "poor Ben" is fooling himself, or not saying how he truly feels. The whole foundation for your "poor Ben" remarks is shaky, at best.


so much work over two words: poor Ben.

i stand by them. it can't be easy to be a gay 18 year old and have your parents put you in a camp and, after 8 months of work, to be able to say that you like girls "enough" to consider being in a relationship.

i feel like i can say with some authority -- though, you're right, i have not met him, but my goodness 80s, can't we have a discussion without you getting your panties in a bunch over the most minor of points? -- that gay people are unimaginably happier (as anyone would be) living life honestly and out of the closet and the best thing for his parents to do would be to love and support him and NOT tell him that there was something wrong with him?

am i really out of line for thinking that Ben deserves my sympathy? am i really wrong to think that Ben's desire not to be gay comes from parents and churches telling him he's diseased and must be cured? am i really wrong to think that Ben is a worthwhile person who deserves to be loved for who he is and not shamed for what he isn't?

Ben is *precisely* the type of kid i want to help out through volunteer counseling.

i'd want Ben to know that he doesn't have to be ashamed of himself, that God loves him, and deep down his parents love his big gay heart and soul more than he could possibly imagine, supid "ex-gay" camps aside.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 02:51 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

so much work over two words: poor Ben.
It's not those two words, Irvine, and I think you know that. It's the attitude behind those words: that "poor Ben" can't possibly know how he feels about it, because you know how life for a gay person really is, and you also know that these camps can't possibly work.

Let's turn it around, shall we?

If I were making assumptions about Zach, if I said that he only THOUGHT that the camp didn't work, despite his claims to the contrary, what would be your reaction to that?
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


It's not those two words, Irvine, and I think you know that. It's the attitude behind those words: that "poor Ben" can't possibly know how he feels about it, because you know how life for a gay person really is, and you also know that these camps can't possibly work.

Let's turn it around, shall we?

If I were making assumptions about Zach, if I said that he only THOUGHT that the camp didn't work, despite his claims to the contrary, what would be your reaction to that?


no. i am not patronizing Ben. i feel sympathy for Ben. because i've been 18 and gay too. and, no, after 8 months of brainwashing camp i don't think Ben is necessarily the best judge of how he feels. in a few years, i think he'll have it sorted out.

you're also confusing Ben and Zach.

get the sorted, and then ask me a question.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


no. i am not patronizing Ben. i feel sympathy for Ben. because i've been 18 and gay too. and, no, after 8 months of brainwashing camp i don't think Ben is necessarily the best judge of how he feels. in a few years, i think he'll have it sorted out.
So you are saying he probably doesn't know his true feelings on it, but you do.



Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
you're also confusing Ben and Zach.

get the sorted, and then ask me a question.
I'm not getting the two campers confused. I had thought I read somewhere that Zach had been released from the camp and said that it didn't work.

But since that's not the case, and we don't know his reactions "post-camp" yet, I'll rephrase my question, to be about Ben:

What if Ben had said "It didn't work, I'm still having the same homosexual feelings as strongly as I ever did, and I know that I will never change", but I said that he only THOUGHT that the camp didn't work, and that he was actually now as straight as any other straight man, what would be your reaction to that? If I were making those assumptions, can you honestly tell me you wouldn't have debated with me on it?
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 12:20 PM
I can't believe this discussion is even going on. I was telling my dad about these camps and the first thing he said was, "what's the suicide rate?" It's so sick, teaching kids to suppress their natural feelings and emotions, using fear of eternal punishment to scare kids into "becoming straight." it hurts the kids and it hurts the women they'll get into a relationship with later on, one that's doomed to fail.
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
and it hurts the women they'll get into a relationship with later on, one that's doomed to fail.
And yet the people who try and do this whole changing thing claim to support the sanctity of marriage. ...uh-huh, right.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 07-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #113
The Fly
 
MCF74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 280
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
And yet the people who try and do this whole changing thing claim to support the sanctity of marriage. ...uh-huh, right.
A great point, Angela. Amazing, isn't it?

Michael
__________________
MCF74 is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MCF74
A great point, Angela. Amazing, isn't it?

Michael
Thanks, and oh, yes, it's astounding.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 07-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MCF74
Kudos to the great discussion going on here! For what it's worth, I'm gay and live with another man in a happy, committed relationship that looks to last forever. Oh, and I'm a Christian, too. Seems like a lot of people don't know how to be "real" Christians and the leaders of camps like this, as well as Zack's parents, are a great example of this.
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to have some diversity of opinion here.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


So you are saying he probably doesn't know his true feelings on it, but you do.



What if Ben had said "It didn't work, I'm still having the same homosexual feelings as strongly as I ever did, and I know that I will never change", but I said that he only THOUGHT that the camp didn't work, and that he was actually now as straight as any other straight man, what would be your reaction to that? If I were making those assumptions, can you honestly tell me you wouldn't have debated with me on it?


i am saying that i have more experience than Ben, i've been there, and from what he says, he doesn't sound terribly "converted" to me -- in fact, it sounds like he feels better because he's made his parents happy, but that his homosexual desires have gone absolutely nowhere. he's simply able to control (i.e., repress) them better.

your question doesn't make any sense, unless you think that straight men have continual attraction to men, but are simply attracted "enough" to women to be able to have some kind of romantic relationship with them.

you're trying to filp this around, but it doesn't make any logical sense in that direction.

just like these camps don't make any logical sense. and they pretty much admit, or at least they did tonight in the Part 2 of the segment, that they don't create straight people, they merely help people "curb" behavior.

and by telling someone to repress what is as natural to them as your heterosexuality is to you is tantamount to saying: you're sick, you're wrong, you're immoral, you're diseased. God doesn't love you the way he made you (oh, sorry, God is *challenging* you).

and this is why, again, so many gay kids, especially from strongly religous households, kill themselves.

what a colossal waste of energy.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


what a colossal waste of energy.
yeah. I always wish that the people who put so much energy into this would go put all that energy into helping AIDS orphans or something.
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


your question doesn't make any sense, unless you think that straight men have continual attraction to men, but are simply attracted "enough" to women to be able to have some kind of romantic relationship with them.

you're trying to filp this around, but it doesn't make any logical sense in that direction.
It makes perfect sense in the context in which I am putting it, the context being that of someone making assumptions that are not based on the facts presented.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
yeah. I always wish that the people who put so much energy into this would go put all that energy into helping AIDS orphans or something.
Yeah, that'd be nice.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 07-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
I can't believe this discussion is even going on. I was telling my dad about these camps and the first thing he said was, "what's the suicide rate?" It's so sick, teaching kids to suppress their natural feelings and emotions, using fear of eternal punishment to scare kids into "becoming straight." it hurts the kids and it hurts the women they'll get into a relationship with later on, one that's doomed to fail.
Yep. And it does wonders for the egos/self images of the kids conceived in these marriages when they find at least one parent's reason for having them was "cover."
__________________

__________________
indra is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com