Worth repeating - Bono's Letter to Bush - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2003, 02:13 PM   #46
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Sicy-
this is a fellow that recently called me a "dickhead" here in FYM.
Did I report this? No.
Do I trouble the Mods w petty issues ? No.
With this knowledge now would you correct this situation?

Hes also had "run-ins" w/other members.

I would hope you wou show some equity and fairness in all of this.
I called him gab, he called a member dickhead.
I cannot read every single thing in every single forum. If he called you a dickhead then you should have reported it. There is no excuse for personal attacks or name calling on this board. This is what the mods and admins are here for. And I dont think that is considered a petty issue. When I or the other mods see something out of line, we react. If its not brought to our attention or we dont read it, nothing is done about it. And because nothing is done about it people automatically assume that we are not giving fair treatment. This is why we need to be alerted of such isssues. I normally let the moderators of this forum handle the issues here but since I received the reported post I feel the need to step in. I'm asking you now to stop calling him cutesy little diamond names and grow up and address him by his name or sn. Is that too much to ask? And if I see him attacking anyone on the board he will be equally warned.

Old 01-29-2003, 02:17 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Bono as the politician, has to compliment GW. He's asked for support, if he wants to see this support he can't turn the corner and say he doesn't like him. None of us will ever know Bono's true feelings about GW unless we ask him personally. He's in the business of trying to get support for Africa these days, he has to play the politician, regardless if you or I like it.

Old 01-29-2003, 02:21 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Bono as the politician, has to compliment GW. He's asked for support, if he wants to see this support he can't turn the corner and say he doesn't like him. None of us will ever know Bono's true feelings about GW unless we ask him personally. He's in the business of trying to get support for Africa these days, he has to play the politician, regardless if you or I like it.
That's funny, cause so many people seem to absolutely known the evil that is in GW's heart.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:27 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Maybe he's choosing the lesser of two evils for the time being.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:28 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
You took the words out of my mouth BonoVoxSupastar. Diamond, I could watch that tape with you and agree with you and it still doesn't prove that Bono likes GW. Someone else watching the same tape could notice and interpret another "sign" of Bono's and think the opposite. Your conclusion is just as fact based as assuming that Bono doesn't like GW because he has hung out with Bill Clinton before. Again, you have a right to your opinion but it doesn’t meet the criteria of proof.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:33 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

That's funny, cause so many people seem to absolutely known the evil that is in GW's heart.
That is such a great point nbcrusader!
Old 01-29-2003, 02:54 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

That is such a great point nbcrusader!
u know i have this tape and i accept it at face value.

i read people all day long for a living.
i also have read Bono for 20 years in interviews (televised) and have a pretty good idea when he is bullshitting or not.

thank u--
diamond
Old 01-29-2003, 03:05 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

1. -And because nothing is done about it people automatically assume that we are not giving fair treatment. -

2-since I received the reported post I feel the need to step in. -

3-I'm asking you now to stop calling him cutesy little diamond names . -

4Is that too much to ask? .
1-silly me, now why would I think otherwise?

2- thank u.

3-ok

4-no.

i also apologize for calling gabrielvox-
-gab
-gaberrella
and
-gabrella the littleman.

gabvx-plez refrain from calling me a dickhead again.
im ok w you addressing me as "Dia" and other abbrevations.
it saves time

thank u-

DB9
:
Old 01-29-2003, 05:36 PM   #54
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

You took the words out of my mouth BonoVoxSupastar. Diamond, I could watch that tape with you and agree with you and it still doesn't prove that Bono likes GW. Someone else watching the same tape could notice and interpret another "sign" of Bono's and think the opposite. Your conclusion is just as fact based as assuming that Bono doesn't like GW because he has hung out with Bill Clinton before. Again, you have a right to your opinion but it doesn’t meet the criteria of proof.
Bono has also hung out with Clinton socially and at political events since meeting with Bush. In interviews his words are "Bush seems to have a feel for this issue".
That said, I don't think it matters one damn bit whether Bono likes GWB or not, some kind of "yes he really like Republicans or Democrats" bullshit. He is working for a cause that is dear to his heart and as he has said a moral imperative for him.

If you want to get picky you can go to Edge's interview where he said that when he objected with Bono's meeting with Republican, Bono replied that he would meet with Satan if necessary to get results, and take it as you will.

Before I get flamed, I do think Bush is sincere in his feelings about the AIDS issue and it is a great seller of America.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:56 PM   #55
Refugee

It's really frustrating to me to come to threads with the title like this one ( thinking it's going to be informative and some good banter on the issues.

What I find is people going at it with one another about something as stupid as *wondering* if Bono really likes George Bush or not.

Real intelligent, people.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:16 AM
When know Edge does not mind the Republicans that pay to see him play and buy his albums.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:48 PM   #57
War Child

haha, so true sting.
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-29-2003, 09:09 PM   #58
New Yorker

Big Grin Bono's Thank you to the Angels!

“Wow, don’t mess with the American people... from churches, campuses, coffee shops and computers they got their message through to Washington: AIDS in Africa is an emergency. This week, the President responded. Now, he and Congress have to rapidly translate his bold vision into cash that saves lives. Africa needs the people of America to keep raising awareness of the AIDS crisis, and make sure the politicians deliver the money. AIDS is not just an unprecedented humanitarian tragedy in Africa, it’s a threat to peace and global stability everywhere.”—Bono

Friends,

We had quite a night last night and you all need to be heartily congratulated. As a result of your phone calls, emails, persistence and determination- the President stood up and responded to the will of the American people. His announcement for $15 billion over the next five years is cause for celebration. We’re thrilled that the President has committed his Administration to this initiative and thrilled that he has attached a meaningful total of money to the cause.

The next step is to keep a keen eye on what happens in this next week. The President’s 2004 budget will be released on February 4th at which time we will learn more about exactly how this money will be spent. We will also begin to answer very important questions that will enable us to truly evaluate the President’s initiative. We need to find out whether this is truly all new money or if it has been taken from other foreign aid accounts. We feel quite certain that at least $2.5 billion is needed in 2004 for the AIDS crisis to make up for lost time and to kickstart the programs. We also feel strongly that a substantial amount should be directed through the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria which is a funding mechanism that draws upon global resources to fund the very best country-driven, technically reviewed proposals around the world. These are all important questions and we must strongly encourage the Administration, the Senate and the House of Representatives to ensure that the best possible and most effective mechanisms are used to deploy this money.

Keep an eye out and we’ll be back in touch once we know more about exactly what the President’s announcement means. We have won a huge battle and we truly owe it to you. We now have to make sure that these dollars we fought so hard for are used effectively and efficiently on those who need them so dearly. If we continue to work together, we really can make a difference.

Thanks again!!!

DATA

SD
Old 01-29-2003, 10:19 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Seriously, we do not need to make this into a "partisan" issue based on Bono's involvment; it goes so far beyond political parties, countries, even religions. Rememebr that the whole "Jubilee" concept has its roots in both Christian and Jewish scripture. Congress members of all parties have taken the cause, as have legislators from around the world. Bono has a gift to connect with a TRUE rainbow coalition of people; let's appreciate that and hope that he uses it for the good of the World.

We can sit here and say "Bono said this about Bush" or "Bono doesn't like Bush because of Iraq" or we can say "Bush and Bill Clinton are friends so they agree 100% on everything" or whatever we want, but what does it really mean?

Look: Bush is likely planning a large scale attack on Iraq if certain demands are not met, but he has also launched a large scale attack on the African AIDS crisis which has the potential to breed more Saddams and Osamas if not addressed.

A few years ago, Clinton bombed Iraq several times, but also began the United States' involvement in solving the African crisis by pledging an initial $483 million to African debt relief.

Bono has connected with BOTH of them and many other power brokers around the world. Don't let selfish partisanship or your international prejudices ruin what can be a very good thing. Praise the successes and correct the failures.

~U2Alabama
Old 01-29-2003, 11:53 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox

Exactly why are you inserting yourself here? It really doesn't concern you or anyone else who have all had the common decency and courtesy of respecting my request, so I'd suggest you mind your own business thanks.

Then perhaps you should have taken it up in a private message to dia.

~U2Alabama