Worth repeating - Bono's Letter to Bush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Bama said:
Yes, you have stated several times in here that you post under your real name, so I will take that to mean that "Vox" is truly your last name.

~U2Alabama

Maybe you should reread my posts. I stated once that I post under my real name. I have since stated in subsequent posts my real name.

My screenname is a derivative of my realname + 'vox'. I'm sure you are aware what 'vox' means.

Exactly why are you inserting yourself here? It really doesn't concern you or anyone else who have all had the common decency and courtesy of respecting my request, so I'd suggest you mind your own business thanks.

Last edited:
follower said:
Although his letter is well writen and meaningful and his cause really noble, I can?t help feeling disappointed with Bono lately. Not a single word against this insane, stupid war, that has been planned for so long. At least Edge said something against it, I think it was in his last interview to Hot Press. Bono says "President Bush is in the business of making history". The thing is, in my viewpoint, what kind of history he will be remembered for.

your beautiful, follower. :up:

I can't remember if it was Propaganda or NME or something I was reading where Edge and Bono actually had quite a row over Bono going to meet Bush, Edge expresssing some sentiment along the lines that Bush was evil and he did not agree with Bono meeting him, but then acquiesed if some good could come from it..

Anyone remember this for a more factual recollection of it?

gabriella-the-littleman-
Bono is not The Edge.
Thru out their history Bono and The Edge have differed on some issues.:|

Before u were attempting to look like Bono I already knew this.

That said- I also stand by my previous statement that-Bono "genuinely likes" GW. :yes: This pisses off some here, but thats ok.:)

Bono did not go to Iraq to protest.
Bono has been absolutely silent re this issue.
Until he says otherwise ppl should "check" themselves here.

Thank You-
Diamond
:larry:

Last edited:
diamond said:
gabriella-the-littleman-
Bono is not The Edge.
Thru out their history Bono and The Edge have differed on some issues.:|

That said- I also stand by my previous statement that-Bono "genuinely likes" GW. :yes: This pisses off some here, but thats ok.:)

Bono did not go to Iraq to protest.
Bono has been absolutely silent re this issue.
Until he says otherwise ppl should "check" themselves here.

Thank You-
Diamond
:larry:

Diamond, please be quiet. You don't have any proof as to how Bono really feels about GW. Because Bono hasn't made a comment regarding the Iraq issue does nothing to prove that he likes GW. I guess you could be right, but on the other hand, his silence could be because he can't afford to distract GW away from Africa. If he took the time to put in his 2 cents regarding Iraq, then all attention is taken away from Africa and that's not going to help what Bono has been working for. To prove your point, Bono would have to publicly agree and stand behind what Bush is doing, which he hasn't. We all have a right to our opinions, and people shouldn't have to "check" themselves here unless they are shown facts.

BostonAnne said:

Diamond, please be quiet. You don't have any proof as to how Bono really feels about GW. , "check" themselves here unless they are shown facts.
no.

i do so.

and i do think Bono now likes him that much more this morning.:)
thank u-

DB3

Last edited:
pub crawler said:

:eyebrow: eh? "Wealthy Saudis?" That's news to me.
pub and bear thank u for displaying openmindedness in your posts.
pub-
i think GW means the money from some of the head-honchos of al queda being of saudi descent.-sp

db9

diamond said:

no.

i do so.

and i do think Bono now likes him that much more this morning.:)
thank u-

DB3

Ok, where's the proof. Please link me to the interview where Bono said he likes GW.

This is a great day. GW did right for Africa as you predicted. :dance: :dance: :up:

I just disagree with you insulting others that assume the opposite opinion that you do. You can't know how Bono feels about GW as no one else here can. Unless you cough up facts, please don't assume you are right and they are wrong. Just add your opinion in a non demeaning way please.

Bono's job has been to convince GW. to send money to Africa. He needs to play nice to do this whether or not he truly likes GW. He may well think nice thoughts about GW, or he may go home and curse for awhile about having to suck it up - NO ONE here knows for sure.

diamond said:
gabriella-the-littleman-

Diamond, I have repeatedly asked you to stop the bastardizing of my name. It is impolite and uncalled for.

Now you are also launching attacks on what I do for fun?

In addition you try to reignite an old argument that mods had to close with the Rush comment?

Personally I find your comments abusive and disrespectful. Im actually quite surprised that you have stooped to this schoolyard behavior and even more surprised that others aren't telling you to back off.

Im sure there are some here that would jump on me now and say that at times I'm less than completely respectful but honestly, I may be flippant at times in terms of beliefs and ideals and whatnot, but I think repeatedly and intentionally messing with someone's name to get them going is just not right one little bit.

I think you are deliberately goading me to see me explode and stoop to your level, but I'm not going to give you that satisfaction.

We'll see what the mods think.

diamond, why dont you show some respect, grow up and start acting like your age for once. I'm tired of receiving reported posts about you. You think you're funny but guess what I dont and niether does Elvis.

Someone should only have to post ONCE that they feel offended by a nickname you may call them. Now you're just doing it to piss him off.

Knock it off.

BostonAnne said:

Ok, where's the proof. Please link me to the interview where Bono said he likes GW.

This is a great day. GW did right for Africa as you predicted. :dance: :dance: :up:

I just disagree with you insulting others that assume the opposite opinion that you do. You can't know how Bono feels about GW as no one else here can. Unless you cough up facts, please don't assume you are right and they are wrong. Just add your opinion in a non demeaning way please.

Bono's job has been to convince GW. to send money to Africa. He needs to play nice to do this whether or not he truly likes GW. He may well think nice thoughts about GW, or he may go home and curse for awhile about having to suck it up - NO ONE here knows for sure.

Very well said, I totally agree with you!!! :up:

Sicy-
this is a fellow that recently called me a "dickhead" here in FYM.
Did I report this? No.
Do I trouble the Mods w petty issues ? No.
With this knowledge now would you correct this situation?

Hes also had "run-ins" w/other members.

I would hope you wou show some equity and fairness in all of this.
I called him gab, he called a member dickhead.

Olive
and
Anne

I have a tape of Bono outside of The Oval Office that was on CSPAN where he went to great lengths complimenting GW.
You could hear the sincerity in his voice and read his body language.
Very convincing.
Does he like GW ? Yes.
Like his Democrat friends?- No.

He has forged a friendship w GW is all, and genuinely likes our President, politics aside.:)

thank u-
diamond

Last edited:
diamond said:
Sicy-
this is a fellow that recently called me a "dickhead" here in FYM.
Did I report this? No.
Do I trouble the Mods w petty issues ? No.
With this knowledge now would you correct this situation?

Hes also had "run-ins" w/other members.

I would hope you wou show some equity and fairness in all of this.
I called him gab, he called a member dickhead.

I cannot read every single thing in every single forum. If he called you a dickhead then you should have reported it. There is no excuse for personal attacks or name calling on this board. This is what the mods and admins are here for. And I dont think that is considered a petty issue. When I or the other mods see something out of line, we react. If its not brought to our attention or we dont read it, nothing is done about it. And because nothing is done about it people automatically assume that we are not giving fair treatment. This is why we need to be alerted of such isssues. I normally let the moderators of this forum handle the issues here but since I received the reported post I feel the need to step in. I'm asking you now to stop calling him cutesy little diamond names and grow up and address him by his name or sn. Is that too much to ask? And if I see him attacking anyone on the board he will be equally warned.

Bono as the politician, has to compliment GW. He's asked for support, if he wants to see this support he can't turn the corner and say he doesn't like him. None of us will ever know Bono's true feelings about GW unless we ask him personally. He's in the business of trying to get support for Africa these days, he has to play the politician, regardless if you or I like it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Bono as the politician, has to compliment GW. He's asked for support, if he wants to see this support he can't turn the corner and say he doesn't like him. None of us will ever know Bono's true feelings about GW unless we ask him personally. He's in the business of trying to get support for Africa these days, he has to play the politician, regardless if you or I like it.

That's funny, cause so many people seem to absolutely known the evil that is in GW's heart.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You took the words out of my mouth BonoVoxSupastar. Diamond, I could watch that tape with you and agree with you and it still doesn't prove that Bono likes GW. Someone else watching the same tape could notice and interpret another "sign" of Bono's and think the opposite. Your conclusion is just as fact based as assuming that Bono doesn't like GW because he has hung out with Bill Clinton before. Again, you have a right to your opinion but it doesn?t meet the criteria of proof.

BostonAnne said:

That is such a great point nbcrusader! :up:
u know i have this tape and i accept it at face value.

i read people all day long for a living.
i also have read Bono for 20 years in interviews (televised) and have a pretty good idea when he is bullshitting or not.

thank u--
diamond

Last edited:
Sicy said:

1. -And because nothing is done about it people automatically assume that we are not giving fair treatment. -

2-since I received the reported post I feel the need to step in. -

3-I'm asking you now to stop calling him cutesy little diamond names . -

4Is that too much to ask? .

1-silly me, now why would I think otherwise?:sexywink:

2- thank u.:)

3-ok:)

4-no.:)

i also apologize for calling gabrielvox-
-gab
-gaberrella
and
-gabrella the littleman.

gabvx-plez refrain from calling me a dickhead again.
im ok w you addressing me as "Dia" and other abbrevations.
it saves time:)

thank u-

DB9
:dance::

Last edited:
BostonAnne said:

You took the words out of my mouth BonoVoxSupastar. Diamond, I could watch that tape with you and agree with you and it still doesn't prove that Bono likes GW. Someone else watching the same tape could notice and interpret another "sign" of Bono's and think the opposite. Your conclusion is just as fact based as assuming that Bono doesn't like GW because he has hung out with Bill Clinton before. Again, you have a right to your opinion but it doesn?t meet the criteria of proof.

Bono has also hung out with Clinton socially and at political events since meeting with Bush. In interviews his words are "Bush seems to have a feel for this issue".
That said, I don't think it matters one damn bit whether Bono likes GWB or not, some kind of "yes he really like Republicans or Democrats" bullshit. He is working for a cause that is dear to his heart and as he has said a moral imperative for him.

If you want to get picky you can go to Edge's interview where he said that when he objected with Bono's meeting with Republican, Bono replied that he would meet with Satan if necessary to get results, and take it as you will.

Before I get flamed, I do think Bush is sincere in his feelings about the AIDS issue and it is a great seller of America.

It's really frustrating to me to come to threads with the title like this one ( thinking it's going to be informative and some good banter on the issues.

What I find is people going at it with one another about something as stupid as *wondering* if Bono really likes George Bush or not.

Real intelligent, people.

When know Edge does not mind the Republicans that pay to see him play and buy his albums.

Bono's Thank you to the Angels!

?Wow, don?t mess with the American people... from churches, campuses, coffee shops and computers they got their message through to Washington: AIDS in Africa is an emergency. This week, the President responded. Now, he and Congress have to rapidly translate his bold vision into cash that saves lives. Africa needs the people of America to keep raising awareness of the AIDS crisis, and make sure the politicians deliver the money. AIDS is not just an unprecedented humanitarian tragedy in Africa, it?s a threat to peace and global stability everywhere.??Bono

Friends,

We had quite a night last night and you all need to be heartily congratulated. As a result of your phone calls, emails, persistence and determination- the President stood up and responded to the will of the American people. His announcement for $15 billion over the next five years is cause for celebration. We?re thrilled that the President has committed his Administration to this initiative and thrilled that he has attached a meaningful total of money to the cause.

The next step is to keep a keen eye on what happens in this next week. The President?s 2004 budget will be released on February 4th at which time we will learn more about exactly how this money will be spent. We will also begin to answer very important questions that will enable us to truly evaluate the President?s initiative. We need to find out whether this is truly all new money or if it has been taken from other foreign aid accounts. We feel quite certain that at least $2.5 billion is needed in 2004 for the AIDS crisis to make up for lost time and to kickstart the programs. We also feel strongly that a substantial amount should be directed through the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria which is a funding mechanism that draws upon global resources to fund the very best country-driven, technically reviewed proposals around the world. These are all important questions and we must strongly encourage the Administration, the Senate and the House of Representatives to ensure that the best possible and most effective mechanisms are used to deploy this money.

Keep an eye out and we?ll be back in touch once we know more about exactly what the President?s announcement means. We have won a huge battle and we truly owe it to you. We now have to make sure that these dollars we fought so hard for are used effectively and efficiently on those who need them so dearly. If we continue to work together, we really can make a difference.

Thanks again!!!

DATA

SD

Seriously, we do not need to make this into a "partisan" issue based on Bono's involvment; it goes so far beyond political parties, countries, even religions. Rememebr that the whole "Jubilee" concept has its roots in both Christian and Jewish scripture. Congress members of all parties have taken the cause, as have legislators from around the world. Bono has a gift to connect with a TRUE rainbow coalition of people; let's appreciate that and hope that he uses it for the good of the World.

We can sit here and say "Bono said this about Bush" or "Bono doesn't like Bush because of Iraq" or we can say "Bush and Bill Clinton are friends so they agree 100% on everything" or whatever we want, but what does it really mean?

Look: Bush is likely planning a large scale attack on Iraq if certain demands are not met, but he has also launched a large scale attack on the African AIDS crisis which has the potential to breed more Saddams and Osamas if not addressed.

A few years ago, Clinton bombed Iraq several times, but also began the United States' involvement in solving the African crisis by pledging an initial $483 million to African debt relief.

Bono has connected with BOTH of them and many other power brokers around the world. Don't let selfish partisanship or your international prejudices ruin what can be a very good thing. Praise the successes and correct the failures.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:

Exactly why are you inserting yourself here? It really doesn't concern you or anyone else who have all had the common decency and courtesy of respecting my request, so I'd suggest you mind your own business thanks.

Then perhaps you should have taken it up in a private message to dia.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom