"Women Don't Belong In The Dugout"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:

So put her in a burkha then.

:lol:

And I'd say someone who did something like this is sexist according to my standards. Sorry to post this but this is what he did and said he did. Past history comes into play whether he likes it or not . Whatever his issues were/are with women he had no business pulling juvenile, offensive crap like that.

According to his book about the 85 season he used to
harass women reporters by walking on his hands in the lockerroom naked with "pole at half mast".

Grow up Keith

So then every woman that is at a game or watching on tv and says athlete x looks really hot in those tight pants is sexist too? right?

randhail said:
So then every woman that is at a game or watching on tv and says athlete x looks really hot in those tight pants is sexist too? right?

He didn't say she looked hot. He said she didn't belong there.

Do you see the difference?

My remark about the burkha was in response to the argument that women are too distracting to have around.

i'd still like a response on my last question... it seems that females are quick to slam men who don't like women to be in the locker room, usually with the argument that they are just doing their job and have every right to do the job the same way men do it... yet i would have to think that if a male janitor was simply doing his job in a female locker room while women were getting changed, there would be a few complaints made...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
just to turn the tables here, would you feel comfortable if a man was walking around a woman's locker room while you were getting changed?

In a news reporting context, or a task that could be done at any time?

randhail said:

How does that have anything to do with the situation of Keith Hernandez saying what he said about Ms Calabrese? It is not sexist to say someone looks "hot" in tight pants (but it can be sexist saying it to someone in a derogatory way), however it is sexist to say, on your job as an announcer, that a woman doesn't belong in the dugout and to get all riled up about it before you even know who she is and why she's there and then to try to pass it off as a joke . If you can't see the sexist implications of that well I don't know what else to say.

Being uncomfortable while women walk around in a locker room is one thing, and can be remedied by covering up. Harassing them while doing naked handstands with your pole at half mast (as he so elequently put it) is completely inappropriate. The women are there to do their jobs, and whether he liked it or not he had no business harassing them while they were trying to do their jobs. But he loves the gals, he really does..

To me there is nothing "hotter" or sexier than a man who is a gentleman, and who is secure enough that he doesn't resort to such childish antics and harassment.

If I was an athlete I could and would cover up in a locker room if I was being interviewed, and as long as the men were respectful about the whole thing I would have no issue with it.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

Being uncomfortable while women walk around in a locker room is one thing, and can be remedied by covering up. Harassing them while doing naked handstands with your pole at half mast (as he so elequently put it) is completely inappropriate. The women are there to do their jobs, and whether he liked it or not he had no business harassing them while they were trying to do their jobs. But he loves the gals, he really does..

You could argue that he was there just doing his job as well, giving him the right to walk around naked and do handstands.

randhail said:

You could argue that he was there just doing his job as well, giving him the right to walk around naked and do handstands.

Really? I thought his job was playing baseball (unless he's a naked acrobat on the side in the locker room). That's a stretch.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Really? I thought his job was playing baseball (unless he's a naked acrobat on the side in the locker room). That's a stretch.

His job is to play baseball - which includes being in the locker room. It was the Mets of the 80s though and naked handstands were probably the least harmful thing that group of guys did.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
just to turn the tables here, would you feel comfortable if a man was walking around a woman's locker room while you were getting changed?

Good question. My gymnastics team was never blessed with the luxury of a locker room. I changed from school clothes into a leotard in the back of a minivan during the 5 minute drive from school to the gym (which also did not have a locker room). That included changing into a sports bra and different underwear. If people wanted to stare at me changing in the car, that was their business. :shrug:

I don't think Keith just happened to be doing naked acrobatics, I would defer to Bono's Saint since she told me and she read the book. Perhaps he was unhappy about the women being there and perhaps that was a form of harassment. I think maybe he has some issues. It really wasn't too much to ask for him to curb his naked acrobatics for the short period of time in which the women were doing their jobs as reporters. He was an adult not a child. Naked acrobatics aren't critical to a baseball player's job performance and thus necessary to be performed in the locker room as far as I know-I'd have to consult Johnny Damon on that one since he likes to do naked pullups :wink: But he does those in the privacy of his own home, not in front of female reporters.

martha said:

He didn't say she looked hot. He said she didn't belong there.

Do you see the difference?

My remark about the burkha was in response to the argument that women are too distracting to have around.

:up:

And you hit on the exact reason women are forced to wear burkha's - men's weakness.

randhail said:

His job is to play baseball - which includes being in the locker room. It was the Mets of the 80s though and naked handstands were probably the least harmful thing that group of guys did.

uh yea... just take a gander at "the bad guys won"
i mean heck... keith was already in the clubhouse drinking a beer when the ball went through bill buckner's legs..

For what it's worth, I found this from the SF Chronicle regarding WNBA locker room policy:

"Reporters of both sexes are allowed in WNBA locker rooms, but no players shower and dress until reporters have left (or they do so in a separate, off-limits area). Previously, players were brought out to an interview room and no reporters were allowed in the locker room."

It seems different then men's leagues. NESN often has clips of Red Sox players standing in their towels in front of their lockers.

I don't see why we need reporters of ANY gender in the locker room. Can't some things be private? Have a press conference afterwards and that's it.

But his comment in question here refers to the dugout and as far as I know there aren't many nekkid men walking around there. Or I've been going to the shitty baseball games.

anitram said:
I don't see why we need reporters of ANY gender in the locker room. Can't some things be private? Have a press conference afterwards and that's it.

Well I think it's a time constraint thing...

Side note: 2 years ago in Dallas, there was discussion about not doing locker room interviews because a penis was broadcasted on air after a Cowboy's game.

Back on topic: I really can't believe people defending this comment. Public apology and then stop being a jackass...

I think it's interesting that he just assumed the woman wasn't on the team staff, even though she was in a uniform. Because there's no way a baseball team would have a lowly female on their staff, right? :|

Bono's shades said:
I think it's interesting that he just assumed the woman wasn't on the team staff, even though she was in a uniform. Because there's no way a baseball team would have a lowly female on their staff, right? :|

I think that is the point in a nutshell, which I tried to say earlier. His underlying attitude which created the comment is the greater issue surrounding the comment. Honestly I can't believe people would defend his comment either, but things are still that way in 2006 I guess. I am encouraged however by the men who won't defend the comment and by the Padres.

Bono's shades said:

perhaps you don't watch baseball but medical staff are normally not in uniform. the only people in uniform are players, coaches and the bat boy. medical staff tend to wear polo shirts... not jerseys and hats. like this guy...
capt.fx11304181728.bonds_steroids_fx113.jpg

i will defend his original statement... the one where he said "player personel only" in the dugout. anything he said after that point i have already said was stupid, he deserved to be repremanded for it, and now let's all get over it.

and as for the bigger issue of women in the locker room... i'd still like to here an answer to my question of wether or not you, as women, would feel comfortable changing in a locker room with men walking around?

It's a small part of the larger issue of sexism, which no one really has the right to tell anyone to "get over". Men have to deal with sexism far less than women do, so perhaps it's not as easy for them to understand what it's like to deal with. If anyone should get over anything I think it is Keith Hernandez. Whether the medical staff is in uniform or not doesn't negate the attitudes behind his comments and his oh so quick jumping on seeing her there and his apparent upset over it, for lack of a better description. Maybe his book gives some more insight into those attitudes.

Maybe he should move to Iran :wink:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,18932758-1702,00.html

"Several Iranian hardline MPs were up in arms today over a decision by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to end a long-standing ban on women in sporting stadiums, warning of the dangers of "bare legs" and male spectators shouting obscenities at referees.

"We call on the president to annul the order to allow women into stadiums," an ultra-conservative MP from Isfahan, Mohammad-Taghi Rahbar, was quoted by the student news agency ISNA.

"The presence of women in stadiums is against moral, social and Islamic values. This is a hasty order," he said.

"According to Islamic law, it is not right for women to watch men's bare legs."

MrsSpringsteen said:
It's a small part of the larger issue of sexism, which no one really has the right to tell anyone to "get over". Men have to deal with sexism far less than women do, so perhaps it's not as easy for them to understand what it's like to deal with. If anyone should get over anything I think it is Keith Hernandez. Whether the medical staff is in uniform or not doesn't negate the attitudes behind his comments and his oh so quick jumping on seeing her there and his apparent upset over it, for lack of a better description. Maybe his book gives some more insight into those attitudes.

i'd like to know what book you are refering to because as far as i know the only book he's written was a general baseball knowledge book... like a baseball for dummies type thing.

and i've personally dealt with sexual harrasment in my life... i know what it is like, thank you. and i still say get over it.

I believe he was involved w/ some sort of book, I will have to check my e-mail again.

I didn't refer at all to your personal experiences (I made a general statement which is based upon my beliefs that women still experience it more than men do, and the statistics tend to bear that out), so your attitude really isn't necessary. I'm sure many men have experienced that and I would never defend that-I have nothing but sympathy and empathy for it. Honestly I don't care that you still say get over it :shrug:

The lovely BonosSaint told me it was a book about the 85 season, that's all I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom