Will bullheaded white women ruin the race??? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #31
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 04:33 PM
if a hilary supporter is going to vote for the other (shitty) team out of spite, then they obviously don't support any sort of democratic belief system. If the democrats don't win this election base on the track record of the current adminstration there is something deeply, horrifically wrong with the american people.

Hell, even Australians with our RSL white policy peep and anti immigration peeps voted for the right guy (well the better of two!) ahahah

Old 06-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:33 AM
I think some damage was done.

Among the Hillary supporters I know, they will probably opt out of the Presidential or write in Hillary as a protest vote, which is what I intend to do. I do not know if Hillary was on the VP slot whether that would change my mind as I consider VP kind of a nothing position. Then again this area is heavy Clinton country across the board so I wouldn't even begin to speculate how that translates outside the area. I've heard some grumblings about voting for McCain, but I'm not going there. Over the course of the election I've gone from "for sure" if Obama is the candidate to "likely" to "don't think so."
And I don't see any reason for apology for it. I didn't abandon them. They lost me.

I don't think you will be able to determine how severe the split is until November and possibly 2010 when you see whether Obama support or Democrat disaffection will carry over into the midterms. If there is a split, the Democrats will feel the loss greatest then.

That being said, I expect Obama to win in November although not handily. So you don't need me at all.:

Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:33 AM
I think it is frankly quite ridiculous, for Hillary supporters to not vote for Obama (just as I have vehemently noted how ridiculous it has been for Obama supporters to hurl insults at Hillary). Both have been excellent candidates who have substantially equivalent platforms, and considering that election promises are routinely made out of idealism, rather than the pragmatic process that is Congressional approval, there's a good chance that you'll probably end up with the same end result with either candidate. As such, all this bad blood between the two sides is just nonsense. I would have been equally happy to cast a presidential vote for either candidate in the November election, but now that it seems like Obama is the Democratic candidate, I will be voting for him.

It should not be this difficult, folks.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #34
She's the One

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
Among the Hillary supporters I know, they will probably opt out of the Presidential or write in Hillary as a protest vote, which is what I intend to do.
Quote:
I've heard some grumblings about voting for McCain, but I'm not going there.

These two are exactly the same goddamn thing.

Not voting for the Democrat is the same thing as voting for the Republican. You can fool yourself all you want about it being some sort of "symbolic" protest vote, but the McCain people are more than happy to have you cast your vote for them that way.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #35
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
I think it is frankly quite ridiculous, for Hillary supporters to not vote for Obama (just as I have vehemently noted how ridiculous it has been for Obama supporters to hurl insults at Hillary). Both have been excellent candidates who have substantially equivalent platforms, and considering that election promises are routinely made out of idealism, rather than the pragmatic process that is Congressional approval, there's a good chance that you'll probably end up with the same end result with either candidate. As such, all this bad blood between the two sides is just nonsense. I would have been equally happy to cast a presidential vote for either candidate in the November election, but now that it seems like Obama is the Democratic candidate, I will be voting for him.

It should not be this difficult, folks.
No shit.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
These two are exactly the same goddamn thing.

Not voting for the Democrat is the same thing as voting for the Republican. You can fool yourself all you want about it being some sort of "symbolic" protest vote, but the McCain people are more than happy to have you cast your vote for them that way.

And so it goes.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #37
She's the One

Whatever.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

I can't fathom why a person who supported Clinton would not vote for Obama. When it comes down to it, they have almost identical views over numerous issues. Why would you not do it? That's why I was disgusted months ago that certain people would not vote for Clinton if she had won instead. Give me a break.

I supported Clinton early on, but there's no way I would not vote for Obama.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
If the democrats don't win this election base on the track record of the current adminstration there is something deeply, horrifically wrong with the american people.
No. If the Democrats lose this then there is something horrifically wrong with the Democratic party, not the American people.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #40
Refugee

Local Time: 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I can't fathom why a person who supported Clinton would not vote for Obama. When it comes down to it, they have almost identical views over numerous issues. Why would you not do it? That's why I was disgusted months ago that certain people would not vote for Clinton if she had won instead. Give me a break.

I supported Clinton early on, but there's no way I would not vote for Obama.

Well, according to exit polling, 15% of registered white Democrats said that RACE was important in choosing their candidate.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ah, the smear begins.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #42
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I have no idea how many people who voted for Hillary in the primaries are actually likely to vote for McCain in November purely out of resentment, but I do know that hysterical screeching about how stupid, racist, or [subtext] hormonal[/subtext] they are ain't gonna do shit to win them back.
Well, the exit polls do show that 15% of White registered Democrats consider race to be important in choosing their candidate, so one could extrapolate from that, that 10% of all Democrats will be voting for McCain in the November simply because of race.

The next question would be if 15% of White registered Democrats think race is important in choosing their candidate, how many White Independents and Republicans who are generally less liberal than registered Democrats will feel that way. We may find that racism is much stronger than we thought in this election. After all, how many people openly admit to such things in an exit poll.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Don't worry, if Obama looses in November it will be the whole countries racism, not just that of hysterical white women.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
Ah, the smear begins.

"Smear"? Most people understand that there is still racism in the United States, but its shocking to see that 15% of white registered Democrats will likely not be voting for Obama in November simply because of race.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:33 PM
If somebody doesn't vote for Obama because of his religious associations is that still racism?

It seems that in the primaries misogyny trumped race in terms of innate qualities of the candidates.

Sticking race as a dominant theme for the campaign would be divisive, it would turn up unwanted associations for Obama (Reverend Wright and his connections to Farrakhan for instance) and it would alienate a lot of people who don't like being told that they are racists because of how they vote.