Why no muslim outrage over portrayals of Christ ? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Suicide is actually a big time sin to Sunni Muslims, who make up about 90% of the world's Muslims. There has been much talk about this especially in the more conservative Islamic countries like Saudi Arabia. They haven't been silent on this.
While that is true, the backlash against these 'splodey dopes' is on a much smaller scale than it should be. Is there any logical reason why there shouldn't be mass outrage and disgust over someone killing themselves and taking innocents with them? Especially since this suicide-homicide bombing is happening on such a wide scale.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
Great point. On another matter - where is all the Muslim "outrage" at suicide bombers that target innocent people????
Because it's seen as being a casualty to war, rather than suicide. They're "martyrs" who have died for the defense of Islam against the enemy that is the West.

Melon

Old 02-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Because it's seen as being a casualty to war, rather than suicide. They're "martyrs" who have died for the defense of Islam against the enemy that is the West.

They are very selective about who the enemy is, since I don't see them particularly troubled by blowing up civilian Muslims in Iraq on a daily basis.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 09:35 PM
Quote:

That's interesting. I have never read an Islamic critique of Christianity. I guess I need to hit the books.
Jesus, I believe, is the second-most mentioned "prophet" in the Koran. Moslems believe in Jesus' virgin birth by Mary. And the Islamic scriptures also mention the return of Jesus Christ, who is to save the earth "and all the true believers" on Judgement Day. They also mention that Jesus Christ will lead the true believers to victory in the battle against untruth and evil and that he will destroy all the negative forces on earth and that all who misguide people in God's name will be destroyed (false gurus & prophets).

In Islam, it's believed Jesus wasn't crucified...that God took Jesus up to Him and saved his life before the Romans could crucify him (replaced Jesus with some other shmuck on the cross; i know, them sure were crazy times!); Jesus, therefore, is right now hanging out with God...though he will be back as a righteous Terminator.

I don't think you'd see any Moslems or Moslem publications making fun of Jesus (or Moses or any of the prophets in the Old and New Testaments or the Koran).

Why don't Moslems make a fuss when Jesus is desecrated or blasphemed?

Hard to know. Aside from the fact that they hold Mohammad in higher esteem and usually focus their insanity when his name's desecrated, I would think it may have to do with Moslems not believing in Jesus the way Christians do. Moslems don't give Jesus divinity...to Moslems, Jesus was a man, just like Mohammad, or Moses, or Abraham. A great man, but not divine. I think they would say that the version of Jesus that's being blasphemed is itself a kind of blasphemy (i.e. Jesus as Son of God or God himself), so it wouldn't make sense for Moslems to defend a version of a belief they don't hold.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:38 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Judah

I think they would say that the version of Jesus that's being blasphemed is itself a kind of blasphemy (i.e. Jesus as Son of God or God himself), so it wouldn't make sense for Moslems to defend a version of a belief they don't hold.
Which is exactly the same reason they shouldn't get their shorts in a bunch over non-Molsems depictions of Mohammad.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: Why no muslim outrage over portrayals of Christ ?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Scot
or even over South Park using Jesus as a
character?
shh... mohammed was a character once on south park, too
Old 02-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #22
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:35 PM
There were attempts made by a coalition of Muslims and Christians to ban The Da Vinci Code in Pakistan a couple years ago, for "blasphemy." I can't remember whether they were successful or not. The Satanic Verses was banned in both Pakistan and India, but in practice remained quite widely available.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Well who the fuck knows what 'muslims' think... obviously they are a monolithic bloc of opinion, right? Wrong!

Newsflash kids, the largest 'muslim' nation on earth sits just north of me, in Indonesia... last I heard there was about one protest regarding the Danish cartoons in that country. It's so easy to have another little hate-in about the crazy Muslims, but unless you folks want a third world war, you'd do well to wake up right about NOW!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think that the Danish Cartoons were not a great idea... But the reaction was totally mad!
Attacking the Embassies, put fire to flags... And make kids do that is totally blasphemus for me!!!

And now, some says that this is the reason for the killing of the Italian priest in Turkey ...

It's like if the cartoons were just an excuse to demostrate once again all the hate for the Western society.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Huh? What's this about the Italian priest getting killed in Turkey? Yikes. I'm getting ready to go to Turkey myself, and I'm Catholic!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

^ He was in his church, alone, and he was praying when a young boy (they say he is 16) came inside the church, screaming "Allah is great" and shooted him dead...

The police is looking for him.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #27
New Yorker

A lot of Muslims are offended for the pictures drawn of Jesus (Peace Be Upon Him), and Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him), and the other prophets who were drawn.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:48 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Huh? What's this about the Italian priest getting killed in Turkey? Yikes. I'm getting ready to go to Turkey myself, and I'm Catholic!

I beg u, be careful
Old 02-07-2006, 07:34 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by lady luck
^ He was in his church, alone, and he was praying when a young boy (they say he is 16) came inside the church, screaming "Allah is great" and shooted him dead...

The police is looking for him.

is this surprising...

is this something unexpected..

i dont think so
Old 02-08-2006, 03:43 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

No, it's not unexpected... but still it hurts.

The Turkish police found the young murderer, and he said he did it because of the cartoon.