Why do you think this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A_Wanderer said:

Generally we are most happy that the left is unhappy.

This is so funny, mainly because it's true.

The new Right Radio station here in Chicago advertise based purely on this fact. They have these billboards that say "Because Liberals Hate It".

The right revels in the fact that they can piss off the left...

Just look at the trolls in here.

Well that may be more than a little true, but Iowahawk is still damn funny and some of the jokes write themselves
MINNESOTA DEMS SEEK BAN ON 'UN-AMERICAN' VET ADS

St. Paul, MN - Minnesota's Democratic Party today called for a ban on a series of television ads featuring Iraq War veterans urging support for U.S. war efforts, calling the spots "un-American."

"The First Amendment protects our cherished American right to dissent with America," said Minnesota DFL Chairman Brian Melendez. "By airing these subversive, un-American pro-American messages of assent, these Army guys are creating a virtual Guantamo where we will lose our patriotic American right to unopposed opposition to American policies, such as our cherished right to oppose the un-patriotic First Amendment."

Melendez warned that if the ads are not immediately banned, "it may lead down a slippery slope where un-American newspapers will feel free to print blasphemous cartoons of the prophet Mohammed."
CHENEY APOLOGIZES FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE FACE-SHOOTINGS

Washington, DC - A contrite Vice President Dick Cheney today issued a pre-emptive apology to "any and all" people who may fall victim to his future face-shootings.

Speaking with Fox News anchor Brit Hume, Cheney said that "I'm sure I will feel awful after it happens, because I bet that bird shot will sting like a son of a bitch."

The Vice President declined to speculate on when and where his next accidents might take place, and who the victims might be, but added that "I think they have a pretty good idea who they are."
link

In fact any group that takes themselves particularly seriously is funny - and im not saying that it's restricted to the left.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
The right revels in the fact that they can piss off the left...

It's true. And too many liberals let conservatives get a rise out of them. The opposite of love isn't hate; it's ambivalence. Once liberals are ambivalent about conservatism and start taking an offensive position in political discourse, I think they'd be much better off.

Melon

No, be angry - be very very angry - shout that anger from the rooftops - shout it out at fundraisers and on talkshows - offer only complete and utter contempt and opposition to Bush and Republicans - that is the only way that they will ever be taken seriously, continue the not-Bush campaign strategy in 2006 and beyond, please.

A_Wanderer said:
No, be angry - be very very angry - shout that anger from the rooftops - shout it out at fundraisers and on talkshows - offer only complete and utter contempt and opposition to Bush and Republicans - that is the only way that they will ever be taken seriously, continue the not-Bush campaign strategy in 2006 and beyond, please.

Well, really, the problem is that most Democratic politicians are as wealthy as Republican politicians, even going to the same business and law schools. So I do think it is worth questioning whether Democrats believe what they're saying or if they just see their lot as filling a void in the market.

Melon

melon said:

It's true. And too many liberals let conservatives get a rise out of them. The opposite of love isn't hate; it's ambivalence. Once liberals are ambivalent about conservatism and start taking an offensive position in political discourse, I think they'd be much better off.

Melon

I completely agree, and I think that is the biggest weaknest of the Democratic party right now.

nbcrusader said:

Absolutely.

What is being said is a matter of intent.

The reaction is how someone feels about what was said.

I see what you are saying. Yes it is intent.

Like the example I used before of the "Because Liberals Hate It" billboards, it's used as a means to unite.

Just like the right has turned "liberal" into a bad word.

[q]How to spot a baby conservative
KID POLITICS | Whiny children, claims a new study, tend to grow up rigid and traditional. Future liberals, on the other hand ...
Mar. 19, 2006. 10:45 AM
KURT KLEINER
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

Remember the whiny, insecure kid in nursery school, the one who always thought everyone was out to get him, and was always running to the teacher with complaints? Chances are he grew up to be a conservative.

At least, he did if he was one of 95 kids from the Berkeley area that social scientists have been tracking for the last 20 years. The confident, resilient, self-reliant kids mostly grew up to be liberals.

[...]

The confident kids turned out liberal and were still hanging loose, turning into bright, non-conforming adults with wide interests. The girls were still outgoing, but the young men tended to turn a little introspective.

Block admits in his paper that liberal Berkeley is not representative of the whole country. But within his sample, he says, the results hold. He reasons that insecure kids look for the reassurance provided by tradition and authority, and find it in conservative politics. The more confident kids are eager to explore alternatives to the way things are, and find liberal politics more congenial.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...geid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1142722231554

[/q]

"Block admits in his paper that liberal Berkeley is not representative of the whole country."

"95 kids from the Berkeley area"
"Berkeley area"
"Berkeley area"

:hmm::lol:

db9:wink:

diamond said:
"Block admits in his paper that liberal Berkeley is not representative of the whole country."

"95 kids from the Berkeley area"
"Berkeley area"
"Berkeley area"

:hmm::lol:

db9:wink:

[q]In the 1960s Jack Block and his wife and fellow professor Jeanne Block (now deceased) began tracking more than 100 nursery school kids as part of a general study of personality. The kids' personalities were rated at the time by teachers and assistants who had known them for months. There's no reason to think political bias skewed the ratings — the investigators were not looking at political orientation back then. Even if they had been, it's unlikely that 3- and 4-year-olds would have had much idea about their political leanings.[/q]

A_Wanderer said:

Plus the Democrats should be hammering home the point that the Republicans are now the party of big government.

Republicans have presided over massive increases in government spending, an increased deficit, an expansion in the already large military industrial complex and overall a big increase in the apparatus of state.

In my view the Democrats should be emphasizing all of these issues.

At this point, the 'Republicans equals the party of small government' meme looks laughably absurd.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
thus, we must start blaming the homos for *something* ...

And again, restricting the rights of private citizens to enter into freely negotiated contracts (such as a gay civil marriage) is yet another example of big government intrusion!

35295-1-2.jpg

:up:

warning: not for children's eyes! :shame:

[q]THE ELEPHANT IN THE BEDROOM
Ten (and a half) reasons why Republicans—yes, Republicans—are the best party in bed

By Anonymous

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you’d think Democrats would be better in the sack, because they’re usually, well…better human beings in general. Plus, they’re so em-oh-tional and sen-sitive and they genuinely care about your day. And how you feel. And how you felt yesterday. “Is there anything you need?” they whimper. Oh, shutthefuckup! This is sex we’re talking about! After numerous years of intensive research on both sides of the aisle—and sometimes in the aisle—I am here to report that Republican men (except the closet cases) are infinitely better to have sex with. Here’s why.
1. NO CONSCIENCE!
A Republican man will never whine in the middle of the night—let alone in the middle of screwing you—about the girlfriend/wife/whatever he is “devastating” by sleeping with you. He just does it. It’s all about him—he needs to be the best you ever had, and that can be a good thing if your getting off is contingent on his. He doesn’t even stay for breakfast. (Though if you do make him breakfast, he is eternally grateful and will go down on you for another several hours.) One word: pancakes!

2. NO TEARS!
A Republican man will never, ever cry. Not on election night (no matter what happens). Not when you’re breaking up with him (what, you think he cared?). Not even when he’s having “a problem I’ve never had before, really, I’m not kidding, I swear.”

3. A SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE
I’ve dated Democrats whose nights have been ruined (forever!) due to some stupid-ass comment by Bill Frist on Hardball. I’ve watched them go all mopey, argue with the TV…and then their little weenies disappear. Not so with GOPers. Republicans, particularly when naked, do not want to sit around and talk about Social Security privatization. Or Iraq, for chrissake. Or why (oh, boo hoo, get over it!) Kerry lost. They don’t even want to sit around naked and talk about George W. Bush. They just want you to sit on them.

4. A SENSE OF HUMOR
Republicans are happy to watch Jon Stewart with you. They think he’s a riot. They don’t parse every word he says in an effort to figure out if “The Huffington Post” will approve. They just laugh, pour another cocktail, and decide upon which couch they will fuck your brains out after the show.

5. FOREPLAY
Democrats often need something incredibly erotic—like Meet the Press—to get revved up, particularly on a Sunday morning (there are only so many sections of The New York Times). Republicans, on the other hand, don’t even need Fox News to get it up. They understand that foreplay is about sex. And lots of it. Democrats are too busy checking if the condoms you keep in the jar by the bed are good for the environment. And by the time they figure that out, we’ve all lost our erections.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/full?id=content_4268

[/q]

Irvine511 said:
warning: not for children's eyes! :shame:

[q]THE ELEPHANT IN THE BEDROOM
Ten (and a half) reasons why Republicans—yes, Republicans—are the best party in bed

By Anonymous

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you’d think Democrats would be better in the sack, because they’re usually, well…better human beings in general. Plus, they’re so em-oh-tional and sen-sitive and they genuinely care about your day. And how you feel. And how you felt yesterday. “Is there anything you need?” they whimper. Oh, shutthefuckup! This is sex we’re talking about! After numerous years of intensive research on both sides of the aisle—and sometimes in the aisle—I am here to report that Republican men (except the closet cases) are infinitely better to have sex with. Here’s why.
1. NO CONSCIENCE!
A Republican man will never whine in the middle of the night—let alone in the middle of screwing you—about the girlfriend/wife/whatever he is “devastating” by sleeping with you. He just does it. It’s all about him—he needs to be the best you ever had, and that can be a good thing if your getting off is contingent on his. He doesn’t even stay for breakfast. (Though if you do make him breakfast, he is eternally grateful and will go down on you for another several hours.) One word: pancakes!

2. NO TEARS!
A Republican man will never, ever cry. Not on election night (no matter what happens). Not when you’re breaking up with him (what, you think he cared?). Not even when he’s having “a problem I’ve never had before, really, I’m not kidding, I swear.”

3. A SENSE OF PERSPECTIVE
I’ve dated Democrats whose nights have been ruined (forever!) due to some stupid-ass comment by Bill Frist on Hardball. I’ve watched them go all mopey, argue with the TV…and then their little weenies disappear. Not so with GOPers. Republicans, particularly when naked, do not want to sit around and talk about Social Security privatization. Or Iraq, for chrissake. Or why (oh, boo hoo, get over it!) Kerry lost. They don’t even want to sit around naked and talk about George W. Bush. They just want you to sit on them.

4. A SENSE OF HUMOR
Republicans are happy to watch Jon Stewart with you. They think he’s a riot. They don’t parse every word he says in an effort to figure out if “The Huffington Post” will approve. They just laugh, pour another cocktail, and decide upon which couch they will fuck your brains out after the show.

5. FOREPLAY
Democrats often need something incredibly erotic—like Meet the Press—to get revved up, particularly on a Sunday morning (there are only so many sections of The New York Times). Republicans, on the other hand, don’t even need Fox News to get it up. They understand that foreplay is about sex. And lots of it. Democrats are too busy checking if the condoms you keep in the jar by the bed are good for the environment. And by the time they figure that out, we’ve all lost our erections.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/full?id=content_4268

[/q]

WHERE DO I GET ONE?????

financeguy said:
Plus the Democrats should be hammering home the point that the Republicans are now the party of big government.

Republicans have presided over massive increases in government spending, an increased deficit, an expansion in the already large military industrial complex and overall a big increase in the apparatus of state.

In my view the Democrats should be emphasizing all of these issues.

At this point, the 'Republicans equals the party of small government' meme looks laughably absurd.

To do so, the Democrats would have to suggest cuts (!) in the government. To date, the only suggestions floated have been increasing taxes to meet existing spending/or increase spending.

"Last night, Jessica Simpson turned down an invitation to meet President Bush at a fundraiser. Yeah, Bush said he invited Simpson because he likes being around people who challenge him." --Conan O'Brien

"That makes sense - if you're a Republican politician, you get wined and dined by oil companies, bankers, foreign investors. If you're a Democrat, you have to go to things like rallies for illegal migrant workers and meet with angry lesbians for animal rights. That's no fun." --Jay Leno

nbcrusader said:

To do so, the Democrats would have to suggest cuts (!) in the government. To date, the only suggestions floated have been increasing taxes to meet existing spending/or increase spending.

what's coming in the post-2008 world is both spending cuts, as well as a massive tax hike.

someone has to pay for Bush's drunken sailor spending, and it seems silly to suggest that Democrats are incapable of cutting government, especially with the Clinton years to the party's credit, and also in comparison to what has gone on the past 6 years combined with tax cuts that simply cannot responsibly be made permanent.

Gene Stone: Don't Be Happy. Worry.

Mon Mar 20, 5:36 PM ET

Here's a piece of news bound to please half the country, and anger the other half. According to a story by Kurt Kleiner in the Toronto Star, whiny children grow up to be rigid and politically conservative. Self-reliant, confident kids grow up to be liberals.

This isn't just wishful thinking from the left. It's based on a serious study conceived by a University of California at Berkeley professor, as published in the academic magazine, the Journal of Research into Personality.

Jack Block and his late wife, Jeanne Block, tracked almost one hundred children for two decades. From nursery school on, the kids were studied and interviewed--without any sense of political bias, as back in nursery school, few of the kids really cared about politics.

Block found that the whiniest, least confident kids were those who grew up to be uncomfortable with ambiguity, who toed a rigid line on social issues, and who were, for the most part, right wingers.

The kids who were loose, interesting, and willing to challenge authority ended up being liberals.

The study would seem to contradict another that came out a few months ago from the Pew Research Center, and was featured in the mainstream media across the country. This one claimed that, for the most part, conservatives tend to be happier than liberals.

But when you think about it, is there really a contradiction here?

Maybe someone who tells a pollster that he or she is happy isn't really someone whose life you'd want to emulate. And maybe someone who is leading a confident, interesting, and fulfilled life is.
After all, who do you think would say that he or she is happier, George Bush or John Kerry? Dick Cheney or Al Gore? Laura Bush or Hillary Clinton?

Clearly being happy isn't the goal.

As the song almost says, if being happy means being George Bush, I don't want to be happy.

Irvine511 said:
[q]How to spot a baby conservative
KID POLITICS | Whiny children, claims a new study, tend to grow up rigid and traditional. Future liberals, on the other hand ...
Mar. 19, 2006. 10:45 AM
KURT KLEINER
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

Remember the whiny, insecure kid in nursery school, the one who always thought everyone was out to get him, and was always running to the teacher with complaints? Chances are he grew up to be a conservative.

At least, he did if he was one of 95 kids from the Berkeley area that social scientists have been tracking for the last 20 years. The confident, resilient, self-reliant kids mostly grew up to be liberals.

[...]

The confident kids turned out liberal and were still hanging loose, turning into bright, non-conforming adults with wide interests. The girls were still outgoing, but the young men tended to turn a little introspective.

Block admits in his paper that liberal Berkeley is not representative of the whole country. But within his sample, he says, the results hold. He reasons that insecure kids look for the reassurance provided by tradition and authority, and find it in conservative politics. The more confident kids are eager to explore alternatives to the way things are, and find liberal politics more congenial.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...geid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1142722231554

[/q]

this study was done in Berkley Calif, the mecca of libearlism.:lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom