Why are you what you are, politically? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:53 PM
Why are you what you are, politically?

I mean, not what is it about your political philosophy that appeals to you, rather what is it about you that draws you to a particular political view.

I guess for me it comes down to, you know when you were a kid and somebody (Mom or Dad probably) told you "life isn't fair". That always bothered me. I mean, why not? Why isn't it fair? Shouldn't we try to make it fair, or at least more fair, rather than just accepting the unfairness? Then I realized the root of the unfairness was in most cases economic, and Marxism was an obvious choice. The philosophy, not the bastardization practiced by various self-proclaimed "communist" dictators throughout the years.

So what is it that makes you a conservative, a liberal, an anarchist, a libertarian, a social democrat, a pure free-market capitalist...let's hear it.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:53 PM
I'm an independent because it's stupid to align with one party, in my opinion, unless you agree with everything it stands for. If not, then don't align with them. It's amazing how many people will not just stick up for their own views. If you are a republican or democrat, your personalized views get drowned out by your party.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:53 PM
As a child, the issue I understood and cared for most was the environment, which led me to the Democratic party...same goes with women's issues. As I've grown and confronted more issues like poverty, the care for people in general, I have stuck with being a proud liberal.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I'm an independent because it's stupid to align with one party, in my opinion, unless you agree with everything it stands for. If not, then don't align with them. It's amazing how many people will not just stick up for their own views. If you are a republican or democrat, your personalized views get drowned out by your party.
This is me, too.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Same people, different faces . . . .
Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Being raised in Canada, my outlook on politics has been shaped by bland, drawn-out, boring debates about many things meaning jack in the grand scheme of things.

Still, I guess I envy the fact that Canada and the UK have a Prime Minister's Questions period. There's something satisfying about a political system that provides a defined weekly opportunity for naysayers to berate the country's leader directly. It's the kind of intellectual sparring I wish dubya could have been a part of during the Iraq War.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Hijacking my own thread...

I really wish the Reps & Dems had platforms, rigid platforms. If a politician didn't support the platform, see ya, run as an independent. Would never happen of course, both parties want to be as big as possible, who cares if they don't stand for anything, at least everybody's getting paid. But wouldn't it be nice? Nowadays, even if you're a "traditional" Dem or Rep chances are even if "your" guy wins you don't agree with a good portion of his politics.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Libertarian on the basis that personal freedoms are generally a good thing and guaranteeing them is a good end.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Women's issues and equal rights in general. Those are tops on my personal platform.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm a moderate because I don't believe either side is definitely right while the other is evil or dumb. I don't believe every issue is black and white; I believe there is a lot of gray area.

I also don't trust politicians very much, and I disagree with a two party system. I think American politics would be better if there were three or four parties to choose from. I know we do have more, like the Green party, Libertarian and so on, but I wish those parties had a higher status in politics, just as the Republican and Democrats do.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think I truly knew I was a liberal when I was about 17 and the 1984 Presidential election was approaching and I found myself arguing about politics all the time with my mom, my dad and my boyfriend - conservatives all. Like others have stated, fairness and equality are a big thing with me, and I began to realize that conservative philosophy doesn't mesh with that.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 AM   #12
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:53 PM
I define myself as conservative socially and liberal fiscally. I believe that government should have some power on both social issues and fiscal issues. I suppose I see myself as a moderate democrat because the issues I care about most, social welfare and education are typically democratic platforms. That being said, I do advocate moderate censorship and making abortion much less available...both typically conservative beliefs.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 12:53 PM
I'm a traditional liberal democrat with libertarian tendencies. Easily, the biggest influence on my beliefs has been the Holy Bible and being raised a Christian.

Now I like low taxes, small governent, federalism. And I even understand the theory behind supply-side economics.

That said, I just don't know how anyone can read the Bible and feel comfortable about republican policies on immigration, war, poverty, taxes, education, healthcare, etc.

Yeah, I know, all this begs the question, "well what about gay marriage and abortion"?

My answer is that if you can read the entire Bible and come away thinking that God's biggest message is about abortion and gay marriage? Then you're reading a different Bible than the one I read.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LPU2
I'm a traditional liberal democrat with libertarian tendencies. Easily, the biggest influence on my beliefs has been the Holy Bible and being raised a Christian.

Now I like low taxes, small governent, federalism. And I even understand the theory behind supply-side economics.

That said, I just don't know how anyone can read the Bible and feel comfortable about republican policies on immigration, war, poverty, taxes, education, healthcare, etc.

Yeah, I know, all this begs the question, "well what about gay marriage and abortion"?

My answer is that if you can read the entire Bible and come away thinking that God's biggest message is about abortion and gay marriage? Then you're reading a different Bible than the one I read.

Did you just look inside my brain?

It's nice to meet you, I'm Brittany. It seems we share very similar political and faith beliefs.

Btw, those last 2 sentences.....
Old 06-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Did you just look inside my brain?

It's nice to meet you, I'm Brittany. It seems we share very similar political and faith beliefs.

Btw, those last 2 sentences.....
Nice to meet you, Brittany! And thanks for the nice words. I promise I did not look inside your brain, but it sounds like a place of love and logic. :-)