Where did my thread just go? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2002, 05:40 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy

I smell hypocracy in the air.

that's funny i smell something else. the original thread was deleted. the "where's my thread" thread was posted. i had not seen the original thread, and since i wasn't TOLD it was deleted, i assumed it combusted, which although rare, does happen in the new. when i replied "i don't know what happened" i was being honest. i do not lie. i urged her to re-post the link. i never said "re-post, i guarantee nothing will happen."

so when i looked and saw what the thread was i was shocked, but was ready to let it stay until i saw the "no discussion" contingency. and that, frankly, is the exact opposite of what the forum is about. i don't care if we talk about abortion in here. one of my first posts was about abortion, and it stayed with something like 41 replies. it was not a link saying where someone can get an abortion, it was an OPEN DISCUSSION (funny how "discussion" is in that description), so it stayed.

the reason for the closing of the second thread was that it did not fit the criteria of fym, nor any other sub-forum of interference. propagandizing abortion clinics is not welcome on this board. if you have an issue with that, then i will reiterate that this forum is a privelage and you don't need to be here if you hate it so much. and sparkysgrrls tone was argumentative, which since she has been lurking so long, she should know not to take with a mod.

i don't understand how you can argue that a thread throwing a link out about where to get an abortion and a thread throwing a link out about corporate farming are no different. one is information, one is propagandizing. the effort to make a discussion was too little too late, so the second thread was closed.

that is, was, and will always be the decision. i hope you can see the process that lead to the closing of the thread.

lilly.

Old 10-02-2002, 05:47 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:56 PM
im richer for having known her.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly
lilly.
wisdom beyond her years.

Old 10-02-2002, 05:48 PM   #48
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:56 PM
::applause::

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:07 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 02:56 PM
I think the reason Sparkysgrrrl wanted no discussion was because everytime on this board when we try to "discuss" things where people can have really emotional views allways turn to a shit-filled personal attack contest. Sometimes it's nice to be able to give information without being flamed for having a different view on something. And so what if you didnt like the way she phrased something? If youy understand her why care how she said it. If you thought she could have got her point across clearly then tell her that you knew what she meant but that she could have said something differently. Not all of us have had the same life experience or education as others have and we shouldn't be critisised because we arent english professers. I'm not sure any of us know what age she is cos age can be a big factor. A teenager usually hasnt had the education to be able to say things the way other expect them too.

I also think PART of the reason it was deleted WAS because some of the mods might feel that abortion is wrong or immoral. I'm not saying thats all of the reason, just part. If someone doesnt agree with you they can be more likely to feel the topic is innapropriate especially if it is a topic on one side of an issue. Like a link to a service that gives info on abortions. The reason Sparkysgrrrl probably didnt want discussion is because she just wanted people to have the information. Not argue about whether or not it's the right thing to do.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:46 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

just to beat a dead horse:

Quote:
but was ready to let it stay until i saw the "no discussion" contingency. and that, frankly, is the exact opposite of what the forum is about
finally some reasonable explanation

Quote:
propagandizing abortion clinics is not welcome on this board. if you have an issue with that, then i will reiterate that this forum is a privelage and you don't need to be here if you hate it so much.
what about propagandizing free trade, farm factories, Barbara Strisand, beer.... - the point is - it was not propaganda, it was a link, and the thread was closed before a discussion could even form about that link. I truly was about to reply until I got to the bottom of the page, and saw the "Closed" sign on the thread. As far as the "hate it so much comment" that is just silly. If anyone here hated it, they would not be here. I think it is the passion for the site that allows for discussions like these, and I think that everyone here understands it is their privilege to even be here.

Quote:
i hope you can see the process that lead to the closing of the thread.
Now we can, although it may have seemed a bit hasty and due to the subject matter very subjective, that's all.

I just want to end with this, I love Raven Star's posts as they are usually anti-everything and open-minded, but this absolutely takes the cake:

Quote:
we arent english professers

Old 10-02-2002, 06:50 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by RavenStar
I think the reason Sparkysgrrrl wanted no discussion was because everytime on this board when we try to "discuss" things where people can have really emotional views allways turn to a shit-filled personal attack contest. Sometimes it's nice to be able to give information without being flamed for having a different view on something.
first off....if you are going to start a thread with just a link...it's kinda unspoken that it is the jumping off point for a discussion. It really doesn't make sense, to me anyway, to post a link and say, don't discuss this, just look at it. If you post a site for pro-choice, the people that are pro-life are going to get upset. If she had posted a pro life site, people that are pro choice would be equally as upset.

I think the reason why these threads "turn into a shit filled personal attack" is due to the interent nature of the issues. If that thread was continued on the path it was on it would have been gotten a lot uglier. It's one of those things where there is often times no compromise reached, just sore feelings. When people get their feeling hurt they retailate.....it escalates.

Let me just say that I know Lilly well enough to say she is not going to close a thread just because she disagrees with the topic. Take a look at the thread and where it was going..it was upseting people and making them angry..had it not be closed for format reasons it would have turned into an out and out brawl, and been closed anyway.

Had the thread been started in a different manner.....wherein for example an article about abortion covering both sides of the issue were presented. Or if two sites with opposing viewpoints were linked, it might have been a somewhat civil discussion. However, that was not the case.

Quote:
And so what if you didnt like the way she phrased something? If youy understand her why care how she said it.
How you say things are just as important as what you say. I can say "Lilly you are a wise cracking smart ass " and she knows that I am just kidding with her.....however to have someone who you really don't know say "you're wise ass remarks are annoying" (I'm sorry I'm paraphrasing what she said), it's completely different. While she may have meant "Gee why was my thread closed" she came across as "Assholes closed my thread for no good reason"...the more she posted, the more hostile her words came across. And yes, Lilly's initial "What thread" comment did come across as the classic sarcastic Lilly we know and love, however she clarified her sincerity and her actual meaning.....

there I think I babbled enough
Old 10-02-2002, 06:50 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
A teenager usually hasnt had the education to be able to say things the way other expect them too.

I also think PART of the reason it was deleted WAS because some of the mods might feel that abortion is wrong or immoral. I'm not saying thats all of the reason, just part. If someone doesnt agree with you they can be more likely to feel the topic is innapropriate especially if it is a topic on one side of an issue. Like a link to a service that gives info on abortions. The reason Sparkysgrrrl probably didnt want discussion is because she just wanted people to have the information. Not argue about whether or not it's the right thing to do.
well ravenstar, i am 18 years old and certainly not an english professor, but somehow i put coherent sentences together that make sense within a larger context.

you may think that we were offended by it, but that is not the case, as has been previously stated at least 3 times.

THE POINT OF THIS BOARD IS TO DISCUSS NOT TO POINT OUT AND LEAVE ISSUES. .

it did not fit the criteria, it offended people, and it was brought up in poor context. it was closed and that is final.

lilly.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:02 PM   #53
She's the One

Local Time: 11:56 AM
So if I'm offended by those stupid links-only posts that scream and freeze my computer, those will be closed now, too?

Good.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:11 PM   #54
Refugee

so now threads are being closed because they offend a few people? Was anyone actually offended of the link that she posted? Should that really matter? We shouldnt have to tiptoe around here making sure we dont hurt anyones feelings. While we're at it, why dont we just close this whole forum, sonce people might get offended by open discussions.

Quote:
So if I'm offended by those stupid links-only posts that scream and freeze my computer, those will be closed now, too?

Good.
excatly what I'm thinking.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:20 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
so now threads are being closed because they offend a few people? Was anyone actually offended of the link that she posted? Should that really matter? We shouldnt have to tiptoe around here making sure we dont hurt anyones feelings. While we're at it, why dont we just close this whole forum, sonce people might get offended by open discussions.
i wrote that reason secondly because it was a secondary concern. please review my post about the many reasons why the thread was closed and rethink your response.

thank you.

lilly.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:22 PM   #56
I serve MacPhisto

Yay! more people who miss the point!

You know, nothing obligates you to click a link, nor to respond to a thread, nor to take offense to anything. If you choose to make a bigger deal out of something then it has to be, and you piss off a mod, then you get what you get.

Misuse of forums = closed thread. Thats that.

Random links in lemonade stand is ok, thats what LS is for.

Random links with no subject matter in fym is not ok, thats what LS is for. This is a place for discussion, not personal amusement. So get off your high horses thinking that something tragically wrong has occured. Its already been explained why it was closed. If you want to make a mochary of it, then this onell be closed to. I bet youll be proud of that.

<-- surrounded by idiots.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:22 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Quote:
so now threads are being closed because they offend a few people?
Only if it going to lead to nothing but trouble. I think you are missing the point....had the issue been presented in a clearer, more structured manner, it could have become a discussion. Instead it was taken as an insult, it was not presented in a manner that would warrent any type of thought provoking debate.

Quote:
We shouldnt have to tiptoe around here making sure we dont hurt anyones feelings.
I don't see it as tip toeing...I see it more as respecting the different opinions and diversity of the board. If I wanted to start a discussion on the Al Queda network and Bin Laden, I'm not going to start it by saying "All middle easterners are terrorists!!!!!!" For one, I would get my ass chewed out....and secondly that is not the way to start a conversation that is going to "free anyone's mind" it's only going to cause problems.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:24 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
you may think that we were offended by it, but that is not the case, as has been previously stated at least 3 times.
Quote:
it did not fit the criteria, it offended people, and it was brought up in poor context. it was closed and that is final.
make up your mind.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:27 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

we = the mods. we, the mods, were not offended.

some people = members. some people were offended.

clearly i'm no english professor.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:27 PM   #60
I serve MacPhisto

Ravenstar:

Let me dumb this down a shade for you. The thread was NOT closed because mods were offended, it was closed because others were or potentially would be since it is very personal subject matter that many posters here are too immature to handle in an adult manner. I could name a few names on that one.

Ok, evidently lilly beat me to the punch... too bad... Im feeling malicious today...