What unites religion? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2005, 07:02 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America


Fair enough our definations of relativism are different.

How can they both be right?

There are a lot of things the small human mind will never be able to comprehend, God only knows.
Christianity believes Christ when he said "No one comes to the father but by me"

and yet

Islam says that Christ is not a way to the father; in fact, they do not believe in the concept of God as a father.

Either Christianity is right on this point, or Islam is. Christ can not be "the only way to the God" and at the same time "not be a way to God".
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #17
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Christianity believes Christ when he said "No one comes to the father but by me"

and yet

Islam says that Christ is not a way to the father; in fact, they do not believe in the concept of God as a father.

Either Christianity is right on this point, or Islam is. Christ can not be "the only way to the God" and at the same time "not be a way to God".
If God was that simple to understand I think life on Earth would be very very different.

Why would God allow itself to be localized to certain parts of the world?
__________________

__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:07 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic


OK, so you are an absolutist, but only when it comes to which religion is right?
No, in most things. Relativism tells people to do what they want, that nothing is wrong unless it hurts someone. I don't believe that.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:10 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
starsgoblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Looking for direction to perfection
Posts: 17,828
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America


Why would God allow itself to be localized to certain parts of the world?

I read a very good book discussing this very idea, also including the thoughts concerning people before Jesus' day. It's titled Eternity In Their Hearts by Don Richardson. It is interesting thought because there were indeed different cultural manifestations of the belief of God, they just varied for many different reasons....this could be a whole other thread so I'll pipe down.
__________________
starsgoblue is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:13 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America


If God was that simple to understand I think life on Earth would be very very different.

Why would God allow itself to be localized to certain parts of the world?
Look, if Christ was a liar, would you believe that Christianity was a true religion? Not me; I'd believe he was false prophet and I certainly wouldn't be a part of his religion. If Christ is NOT the only way to the father, then he is a liar, because he said he is the only way to the father. If any other religion in the world is also a way to God, then Christ was a liar. And if he's a liar then his religion is not true.

Two opposites can not both be true. One or both must be wrong.

And I don't know what you mean by "localized to certain parts of the world". Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc. are all present all over the world.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:22 PM   #21
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Look, if Christ was a liar, would you believe that Christianity was a true religion? Not me; I'd believe he was false prophet and I certainly wouldn't be a part of his religion. If Christ is NOT the only way to the father, then he is a liar, because he said he is the only way to the father. If any other religion in the world is also a way to God, then Christ was a liar. And if he's a liar then his religion is not true.
I've answered this already.


Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Two opposites can not both be true. One or both must be wrong.
Sure, here on earth in our feeble minds.


Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

And I don't know what you mean by "localized to certain parts of the world". Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc. are all present all over the world.
BS BS BS there are many corners of the earth that don't know Christ or have any of these religions.
__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:38 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

I've answered this already.



Sure, here on earth in our feeble minds.



BS BS BS there are many corners of the earth that don't know Christ or have any of these religions.
The Gospel has been spread to most copuntries of the world through missions. The word you used - "localized" - sure seems to imply a very little area.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 08:42 AM
I really hate that if you believe that there are commonalities between religions that you are a relativist.

I cannot quite explaine why it is offensive to me.

Maybe I should embrace the relativist in me and just be comfortable with it.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:41 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Jesus must have been a relativist......

He accepted the Jew and the Gentile.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

No, in most things. Relativism tells people to do what they want,
OK, I was just curious b/c I thought in another thread you said you believe in free will.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #26
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


The Gospel has been spread to most copuntries of the world through missions. The word you used - "localized" - sure seems to imply a very little area.
No, just not everywhere. It doesn't really speak all powerful to me.
__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #27
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Jesus must have been a relativist......

He accepted the Jew and the Gentile.
__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 08:42 AM
If these missionaries are anything like some of the "discussions" going on here, I am not surprised that some people are still Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, pagans and whatever else.

Truly, if there was a way to put "religion" threads on ignore, I would. That would be my idea of heaven around here.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I'm not sure that we're all on the same page, as far as relativism goes. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with veils, sideburns or even free will. When I talk about relativism, I'm talking about the belief that there are "many roads to God" and "all religions are the same" and all that. In my mind, all religions can't be right, because they contradict each other; Christianity says that Christ is the only way to the father, and Islam says that is not true. How can they both be right?
I'm an agnostic, so I'm not really coming from a particular religion, but it seems to me that any god worth his/her/it's salt would be able to be whatever each culture/peoples needs to be able to "find" that god. Some people find the Christian god most palatable, others find the Hindu or Muslim (or one of many other religions) version works best.

I know that idea garners a lot of resistance (trust me I quickly found that out when I put it forth once before ), but it makes a lot of sense to me. Why would a god make such a wide variety of people on this earth and then force them to all believe in one version of god? Do you honestly believe a GOD couldn't be powerful enough to manifest in various forms so that each of it's peoples could be comfortable with that god?
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Truly, if there was a way to put "religion" threads on ignore, I would. That would be my idea of heaven around here.
There is. Not reading threads titled "What unites religion" or the like.
__________________

__________________
indra is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com