What Makes Obama Attractive? - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #226
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:49 AM
I doubt he could win CA or NY but I think he could definitely pick up delegates in both.
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, Virginia, Delaware, Vermont, Alaska, Texas?
IMO...yes, yes, yes, yes, doubtful, maybe, doubtful, probably, no idea, doubtful

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

For you, it seems that “change” and “hope” mean a departure from the Clintons’ duplicitous, deceitful politics of personal destruction. Tell us more about that, Mr. Obama. And feel free to tell us how the Clintons’ “good candidate / bad candidate” gamesmanship appears from your vantage point.
Good/bad gamesmanship? Someone's been listening to too many talking heads.
STOP LISTENING TO SOUNDBITES.
Duplicitous, deceitful politics of personal destruction.
This is a tactic fabricated and promoted by the Carl Rove machine.
That goes along with the bullshit that Hillary is using him to do the dirty work.
Bill isn't becoming the monster some of the media wants him to be.
He's picking his battles and letting Hillary run on her own merit.
But he's not going to let it ride when people attack her... or him for that matter.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #228
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Personally I would vote for him over McCain. With Obama you get the real deal, who has integrity, faithful to his wife and isn't a conniving or plotting person:
I find this funny considering McCain's light years ahead of any other GOP candidate.

Huckabee's running for Protestant Pope, and Romney's downright infuriating.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Personally I would vote for him over McCain. With Obama you get the real deal, who has integrity, faithful to his wife and isn't a conniving or plotting person:

I am just amazed. . .amazed. . .by the blindness of the Democratic establishment. You've got conservatives. . .CONSERVATIVES. . .saying they'd vote for Obama! Okay, maybe diamond is just being hypothetical but the point remains. This guy has the appeal. Hillary does NOT speak to those outside the party faithful. Obama does. The party faithful though are too blind to see it. They're so dazzled by the Clinton legacy--those glory years of the 90's and they're forgetting how negatively much of America viewed both Clintons. Whether that that anti-Clinton distaste is warranted or not is debatable but the point is, it's there. The Republicans know it. The Republicans WANT her to get the nomination. . .do the Clinton worshipers ever stop to wonder why?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #230
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

The Republicans WANT her to get the nomination. . .do the Clinton worshipers ever stop to wonder why?
There is such a thing as a Clinton worshiper? Seriously?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #231
Blue Crack Addict

Reports: Kennedy clan rift over racial attacks on Obama
By Jessica Van Sack | Monday, January 28, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy’s endorsement of presidential hopeful Illinois Sen. Barack Obama reportedly came after mounting anger toward the Clintons over the racial overtones of campaign attacks against Obama.

Quoting anonymous sources, both the Washington Post and New York Times [NYT] reported that Kennedy was frustrated with attacks on Obama by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, which he thought to be misleading. Sources confirmed Kennedy expressed his angst to Bill Clinton directly.

According to the Post, the senior senator’s frustration boiled over Saturday when the former president sought to downplay Obama’s South Carolina win by comparing him to the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who won the Palmetto State in his long-shot 1984 and 1988 campaigns.

In bracing for his wife’s South Carolina defeat at a rally in Columbia, S.C., Bill Clinton told a reporter, “Jesse Jackson won South Carolina in ’84 and ’88. Jackson ran a good campaign. And Obama ran a good campaign here.”

Meanwhile, there is widespread speculation on the campaign trail that Bill Clinton will tone down his hatchet-man role in the campaign after weeks of being on the front lines.

The senior Bay State senator’s nod for Obama today is an especially painful blow as it comes as Hillary Clinton is scheduled to campaign in Springfield, followed by a high-rolling Hub fund-raiser.

Kennedy plans to campaign aggressively for Obama in the critical days leading up to the multistate Super Tuesday primary Feb. 5. The Obama campaign announced late last night that Kennedy will campaign for Obama today at American University in Washington, D.C., along with his niece Caroline Kennedy.

The hotly contested Democratic contest has spawned a political family feud of sorts within the famous Kennedy clan, prompting the children of Sen. Kennedy’s slain brother, Robert Kennedy, to affirm their support for Clinton.

“I respect Caroline and Teddy’s decision but I have made a different choice,” said Kathleen Kennedy Townsend in a statement released yesterday by the Clinton campaign after news of the senator’s endorsement was leaked.

Townsend also noted her brother Robert, an avid environmentalist, and Mary Kerry, a human rights activist, endorsed the New York senator.

Caroline Kennedy declared her support in a weekend New York Times op-ed, and in a state where devoted Irish-Catholics still dutifully keep portraits of JFK on their mantles, the late president’s daughter may be especially effective.

“It’s a special kind of endorsement,” said Paul Watanabe, political science professor at the University of Massachusetts at Boston.

The latest SurveyUSA poll shows Clinton with a tidy lead in the Bay State, running with 59 percent compared to Obama’s 22 percent and former Sen. John Edwards’ 11 percent.

“The Clintons put on a full-court press to get the Kennedy endorsement,” a longtime Kennedy confidante told the Herald.

Former Democratic National Committee Chairman Steve Grossman, an active Clinton operative and longtime friend of the Kennedys, sought to downplay the senator’s endorsement.

“The people of this state are going to make up their minds based on record of achievement and ability of candidates,” he said.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #232
Blue Crack Addict

ABC News' Rick Klein Reports: Nobel Prize winner Toni Morrison -- who famously declared Bill Clinton to be the nation's "first black president" -- is endorsing Barack Obama for president today, an Obama campaign source tells ABC News.

This comes as Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., also announces his support for Obama on Monday, at a rally in Washington.

In an October 1998 essay in The New Yorker, Morrison wrote: "Years ago, in the middle of the Whitewater investigation, one heard the first murmurs: white skin notwithstanding, this is our first black president. Blacker than any actual person who could ever be elected in our children's lifetime."

The Morrison endorsement is expected to come via letter from Morrison to Obama that the campaign is releasing later today.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #233
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

in this country, yes.

dbs
Old 01-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #234
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Yes! Until recently most people in the Democratic party were Clinton worshippers. People adore(d) him. Things are changing now.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

hey, U2dem, when is our date for primaries in VA? I thought I saw Tuesday, Feb 12. Is that right? Not that I have decided who to vote for yet, but I want to participate.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #236
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
ABC News' Rick Klein Reports: Nobel Prize winner Toni Morrison -- who famously declared Bill Clinton to be the nation's "first black president" -- is endorsing Barack Obama for president today, an Obama campaign source tells ABC News.

This comes as Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., also announces his support for Obama on Monday, at a rally in Washington.

In an October 1998 essay in The New Yorker, Morrison wrote: "Years ago, in the middle of the Whitewater investigation, one heard the first murmurs: white skin notwithstanding, this is our first black president. Blacker than any actual person who could ever be elected in our children's lifetime."

The Morrison endorsement is expected to come via letter from Morrison to Obama that the campaign is releasing later today.
Yep, you can fool some of the people some of the time..Go Toni, Go Barrack!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

I think Kennedy's endorsement of Obama is huge. When people think of the Democratic party, what name do people think of the most? Obviously, the Kennedy name.

And the timing, just before Super Tuesday, I'm sure was done on purpose, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Before I thought Clinton would dominate most of Super Tuesday, but now I'm not so sure. An endorsement from Kennedy will get a lot of attention.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #238
Blue Crack Addict

NY Observer

Why Obama Might Win Massachusetts
by Steve Kornacki | January 27

Ted Kennedy's direct link to Camelot means that his endorsement of Barack Obama will have national implications. But its impact might be most acute in Massachusetts, one of the largest states to vote on February 5 and a very winnable target for Obama.

Polling has been sporadic in Massachusetts, but Hillary Clinton has led -- often decisively -- in the surveys taken so far. But her margins may shrink as the state's electorate focuses more closely on the race, and in the wake of Obama's South Carolina victory.

With Kennedy on board, Obama now has a monopoly on the Bay State's highest profile Democrats: John Kerry signed on two weeks ago, and Governor Deval Patrick endorsed Obama late last fall.

To be sure, Clinton has her share of elected official support in Massachusetts. But generally, they are lower-profile and less dynamic establishment figures. Kennedy is a revered figure among rank-and-file Democrats, as is Patrick, the state's first black governor (and the first black Democrat ever to win statewide office in Massachusetts). In fact, there are some remarkable thematic and stylistic similarities between the Obama campaign and Patrick's own '06 effort.

Not insignificantly, Obama is also being assisted by Phil Johnston, a loyal Kennedy family lieutenant who chaired the Massachusetts Democratic Party for a decade before stepping down last year.

A Massachusetts win would be a nice feather in Obama's February 5 cap. Not only are 93 delegates at stake (the fifth most among the 23 states and territories voting on February 5), but it would refute suggestions that Obama has been marginalized as "the black candidate:" There are fewer blacks in Massachusetts per capita (five percent) than in Kansas, and George Wallace actually carried Boston in the 1972 Democratic primary.

A victory in Massachusetts, where just 33 years ago rocks were thrown at buses carrying black students to South Boston High, would serve as powerful evidence that Obama's vision of a coalition that transcends old ethnic divides is more than just rhetoric.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

WASHINGTON (AP) - Two generations of Kennedys—the Democratic Party's best known political family—endorsed Barack Obama for president on Monday, with Sen. Edward M. Kennedy calling him a "man with extraordinary gifts of leadership and character," a worthy heir to his assassinated brother.

"I feel change in the air. What about you?" Kennedy said in a speech salted with scarcely veiled criticism of Obama's chief rival for the nomination, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, as well as her husband, the former president.

Kennedy's endorsement was ardently sought by all three of the remaining presidential contenders, and he delivered it at a pivotal time in the race. A liberal lion in his fifth decade in the Senate, the Massachusetts senator is in a position to help Obama court Hispanic voters as well as rank-and-file members of labor unions, two key elements of the Democratic Party.

He is expected to campaign actively for Obama in the eight days leading up to next Tuesday's delegate-rich primaries and caucuses across 24 states, beginning later this week in Arizona, New Mexico and California.

The senator made his comments at a crowded campaign rally at American University that took on the appearances of a Kennedy family embrace of Obama.

He was introduced by Caroline Kennedy, daughter of the late president, who said Obama "offers that same sense of hope and inspiration" as did her father. Rep. Patrick Kennedy of Rhode Island, son of the senator, also offered his support.

In is own remarks, Kennedy sought one by one to rebut many of the arguments leveled by Obama's critics.

"From the beginning, he opposed the war in Iraq. And let no one deny that truth," he said, an obvious reference to former President Clinton's statement that Obama's early anti-war stance was a "fairy tale."

"With Barack Obama, we will turn the page on the old politics of misrepresentation and distortion.

"With Barack Obama we will close the book on the old politics of race against race, gender against gender, ethnic group against ethnic group, and straight against gay," Kennedy said.

The Massachusetts senator had remained on the sideline of the presidential campaign for months, saying he was friends with Obama, Clinton and former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, as well and several Senate colleagues who are no longer in the race.

Lately, according to several associates, Kennedy became angered with what he viewed as racially divisive comments by Bill Clinton. Nearly two weeks ago, he played a personal key role in arranging a brief truce between the Clintons and Obama on the issue.

Kennedy refers only sparingly to his assassinated brothers, John and Robert, in his public remarks, and his endorsement of Obama was cast in terms that aides said was unusually personal.

"There was another time, when another young candidate was running for president and challenging America to cross a new frontier. He faced criticism from the preceding Democratic president, who was widely respected in the party," Kennedy said, referring to Harry Truman.

"And John Kennedy replied, 'The world is changing. The old ways will not do. ... It is time for a new generation of leadership.

"So it is with Barack Obama," he added.

Kennedy began his remarks by paying tribute to Sen. Clinton's advocacy for issues such as health care and women's rights. "Whoever is our nominee will have my enthusiastic support," he said.

But he quickly pivoted to a strong endorsement of Obama, whom he said "has extraordinary gifts of leadership and character, matched to the extraordinary demands of this moment in history."

"I believe that a wave of change is moving across America," Kennedy said.

Also Monday, Obama picked up the endorsement of author Toni Morrison, who once labeled Bill Clinton as the "first black president." Morrison said she has has admired Obama rival Hillary Rodham Clinton for years because of her knowledge and mastery of politics, but cited Obama's "creative imagination which coupled with brilliance equals wisdom."

Morrison said her endorsement had little to do with Obama's race—he is the son of a black father from Kenya and a white mother from Kansas—but rather his personal gifts.

Writing with the touch of a poet in a letter to the Illinois senator, Morrison explained why she chose Obama over Clinton for her first public presidential endorsement.

"In addition to keen intelligence, integrity and a rare authenticity, you exhibit something that has nothing to do with age, experience, race or gender and something I don't see in other candidates," Morrison wrote. "That something is a creative imagination which coupled with brilliance equals wisdom. It is too bad if we associate it only with gray hair and old age. Or if we call searing vision naivete. Or if we believe cunning is insight. Or if we settle for finessing cures tailored for each ravaged tree in the forest while ignoring the poisonous landscape that feeds and surrounds it."
Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm watching Kennedy right now.

I just don't get it. I just don't get how all he has to do is mention the word "change" or "hope" or "inspiration" over and over and the crowd erupts. I hope this is not how we choose the next president.

From Kennedy and Obama's supporters I get the impression that they believe Obama will supposedly make everyone happy and united and there won't be any more division in this country, and they present it like that's a good thing. It isn't. America is supposed to be divided and have debates. They talk like everyone is going to fall in love with Obama and become Democrats and march in lockstep behind him.