What is your opinion on abortion? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2004, 11:57 PM   #91
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:30 AM
After a bit of research, I have to add that the belief that you can get a brainwave reading is mainly a thought of certain religious groups. I found this on religioustolerance.org "2 months: The embryo's face resembles that of a primate but is not fully human in appearance. Some of the brain begins to form; this is the "reptilian brain" that will function throughout life. The embryo will respond to prodding, although it has no consciousness at this stage of development. The brain's higher functions do not develop until much later in pregnancy."

Old 10-14-2004, 12:06 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:30 AM

Infants aren't even born with complete brain developement! Your brain isn't even truly fully developed in all its capacities much later in life...

Old 10-14-2004, 12:16 AM   #93
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

Infants aren't even born with complete brain developement! Your brain isn't even truly fully developed in all its capacities much later in life...
I guess that means there is a whole lot more latitude in the time an abortion can be performed then!
Old 10-14-2004, 12:19 AM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Can a newborn human survive on it's own either?
Yes. I did not mean, can it survive without food, etc. But a newborn can be cared for by anyone. It doesn't need a womb. There is a big difference.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:22 AM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I guess that means there is a whole lot more latitude in the time an abortion can be performed then!

As far as the other post...I don't think I nessacarily see a "big difference". What of the prematurely born babies...that need incubation and whatnot? If you get into partial-birth abortions, those babies are old enough to technically survive outside the womb with the same support given to premies...
Old 10-14-2004, 12:26 AM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:30 PM
a fertalized egg dislodged by the morning after pill (ru486) is not killing a baby.

people who say things like this sound irrational.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:30 AM   #97
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:30 PM
I dont believe in intentionally killing anything. That includes plants, ants, wombats, fetuses, whatever.

That said any woman who decides to abort a pregnancy wont get judgement or condemnation from me. What bothers me the most in these debates is the way the term murder is used. I've never met a person who was so uniform and regulated in their view of death by third party hand. I know I certainly am not uniform. Those who believe abortion is a right for the mother certainly are not, nor are those who are adamantly against it.

The law is as wrong/right and as inconsistant as our views and opinions.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:30 AM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

As far as the other post...I don't think I nessacarily see a "big difference". What of the prematurely born babies...that need incubation and whatnot? If you get into partial-birth abortions, those babies are old enough to technically survive outside the womb with the same support given to premies...
And you are splitting hairs there. The so-called partial birth abortions make up only a tiny portion of all abortions. I was replying to your mention of a very early term embryo/fetus, I believe between 4 and 6 weeks. That can not survive outside the womb.

We are never going to agree on this issue (unless you change your mind. ) If my arguments don't sway you, why on earth do you think your's are going to sway me? You can state your opinion, I have no problem with that, but I get the feeling you (and it's not just you by any means) are trying to convert me to your way of thinking.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:06 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
a fertalized egg dislodged by the morning after pill (ru486) is not killing a baby.

people who say things like this sound irrational.
Where would you draw the line?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:05 AM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

According to who? In the Jewish faith, the mother and child are one entity until the child is born. The soul does not even enter the embryo until 40 days after conception for males and 80 days after conception for females. And rabbis have said that abortion is justified if the mother's life is in danger, if the baby could be born with severe deformities or if the mother is not mentally fit to care for a child.

Many pro-lifers I hear from are basing their decision on their Christian faith and Christian upbringing. What if your belief based on your religion is different from someone else's religion? Should your beliefs be used to create a law against someone else's beliefs? The problem I have with pro-lifers is that they believe their morality should become law regardless of what other religions believe or people who don't follow a religion believe. If you want to protest, so be it. If you want to help women find alternatives, fine. But this country is great because it's laws are not regulated by a particular religion and I don't want it to start now.

I agree with Dread -- look for alternatives if you are in that position and I think we should go a step further. If you get an abortion, the doctor should be required to tell you ALL of your options. But in the end, it is the decision of the woman.
Great post. I didn't know this about Jewish law.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:28 AM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:30 AM
So you're saying that as long as the baby is in its mother's stomach it's ok to kill it?

May as well just stick a knife up the mother's womb while she's giving birth and kill it, there's no difference, right? That would still be ok to you.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:31 AM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:30 PM
For all the arguments in favor of abortion, why must it stop when the child is born?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:33 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
So you're saying that as long as the baby is in its mother's stomach it's ok to kill it?

May as well just stick a knife up the mother's womb while she's giving birth and kill it, there's no difference, right? That would still be ok to you.

Go back and read sharky's post on Jewish law before you say ridiculous things like that. It outlines very clearly what the stages of life are according to the Jewish faith.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:43 AM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
For all the arguments in favor of abortion, why must it stop when the child is born?
Please also note that nbcrusader's argument makes absolutely no appeal to religious principles.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:11 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Go back and read sharky's post on Jewish law before you say ridiculous things like that. It outlines very clearly what the stages of life are according to the Jewish faith.

I'm still questioning the accuracy of the text used myself....being that I do have a Jewish background...