what FEMA turned backed/didn't utlize re Katrina & flood - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:44 AM
crys what FEMA turned backed/didn't utlize re Katrina & flood

since i can't afford the Net I only have so much time/money to spend I don't read very page-- I don't know if all this has already been enumerated or linked up elsewhere......( nor can i directly link you to source materials
quick timeline:
La Gov (anfd Miss} declared states of Emergency on Aug 26/ Bush delcared State of Emergency on 27th

Katrina made Landfall on 29th
/ Leeves breached-flood starts on 30th

# Several trucks from Walmart carrting tons of water - turned back

# A flotilla of 500 boats carrying various aid were turned back

# Coast Guard ship in the Gulf sailed to La with 1,000 gals of Diesel fuel....was told FEMA orders couldn't unload it

# The USA Baton ship had medical personel, some operating rooms AND the ability to make 100,000 gsals of FRESH WATER a day was NEVER called on

# Al Gore & a doctor freind charted 2 airplanes with medicaql supplies, docators and surgeons to help but were turned away. ONLY Bill Frist (Sen & doctor) was allowed in

# Finally Jefferson Parish {of NW ORL} President lines of Communications were cut by Fema. He had his people fix them and posted people to guard them......

Old 09-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:44 AM

Old 09-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:44 AM
Old 09-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:44 AM
This is disgusting.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:44 AM
don't worry the president will head up the investigation and tell us what we need to know
Old 09-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

This is ALL the Black Democratic Mayor and Female Democratic Govs fault. FEMA and Bush did nothing wrong. The investigation will prove this.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Race and sex cards played in one post
Old 09-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

is partisan card (Democratic) is not worth mentioning?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

That's a FYM given
Old 09-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Did anyone see the video on CNN from the Duke students who went in to help? It's on the CNN main page right now in the "on CNN Tv" section entitled "Road Trip For Relief".

These guys, who had never been to NO and didn't know their way around, were able to get to and provide some assistance at the convention center while FEMA was saying they couldn't find a way to get in. On their way in, they watched buses pass them by in the opposite direction - completely empty.

It's just so maddening.

link to video:
http://www.cnn.com/video/partners/cl...dents.help.cnn
Old 09-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
That's a FYM given
It's a trifecta!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:28 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2dork
Did anyone see the video on CNN from the Duke students who went in to help? It's on the CNN main page right now in the "on CNN Tv" section entitled "Road Trip For Relief".

These guys, who had never been to NO and didn't know their way around, were able to get to and provide some assistance at the convention center while FEMA was saying they couldn't find a way to get in. On their way in, they watched buses pass them by in the opposite direction - completely empty.

It's just so maddening.

link to video:
http://www.cnn.com/video/partners/cl...dents.help.cnn
Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

It's a trifecta!
sadly...so sadly...you guys got me to giggle though, which I guess is good.
I just keep thinking that this all seems so much more...impeachable...than even lying to start a war (which almost always has to get done at some level when doing such a thing). I want these guys out now; I don't trust his administration to take it from here at all, and why should we?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Who's to Blame for Delayed Response to Katrina?

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 6, 2005 — In New Orleans, those in peril and those in power have pointed the finger squarely at the federal government for the delayed relief effort.

But experts say when natural disasters strike, it is the primary responsibility of state and local governments — not the federal government — to respond.

New Orleans' own comprehensive emergency plan raises the specter of "having large numbers of people … stranded" and promises "the city … will utilize all available resources to quickly and safely evacuate threatened areas."

"Special arrangements will be made to evacuate persons unable to transport themselves," the plan states.

When Hurricane Katrina hit, however, that plan was not followed completely.

Instead of sending city buses to evacuate those who could not make it out on their own, people in New Orleans were told to go to the Superdome and the Convention Center, where no one provided sufficient sustenance or security.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:41 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
But experts say when natural disasters strike, it is the primary responsibility of state and local governments — not the federal government — to respond.
Experts say. Which experts? Different experts say different things.

Quote:

But there's a problem with the White House's excuse: It's patently false. As Josh Marshall points out, Blanco declared a state of emergency on Aug. 26 -- a day before Bush declared a federal emergency in Louisiana. (You can see Blanco's official declaration in PDF format here; the Washington Post has corrected its article.) On Aug. 28 -- the day before Katrina made landfall -- Blanco followed her declaration with an official letter (PDF) to Bush that requested all manner of emergency supplies her state would need for the aftermath.

Haddow says that these requests should have been enough -- more than enough -- to prompt a full-scale federal response. Under the Clinton administration's FEMA, with Witt as the head, a storm of Katrina's magnitude would have prompted federal and state officials to actually meet in order to coordinate their response. "You were all working together to anticipate needs," Haddow says. "You're all sitting in the same room when the things happened -- the Midwest flood, the Northridge quake, the Oklahoma City bombing and all the disasters we responded to. We were in the same room together and nobody had to point fingers."
and

Quote:
Under the law, Chertoff said, state and local officials must direct initial emergency operations. "The federal government comes in and supports those officials," he said.

Chertoff's remarks, which echoed earlier statements by President Bush, prompted withering rebukes both from former senior FEMA staffers and outside experts.

"They can't do that," former agency chief of staff Jane Bullock said of Bush administration efforts to shift responsibility away from Washington. "The moment the president declared a federal disaster, it became a federal responsibility…. The federal government took ownership over the response," she said. Bush declared a disaster in Louisiana and Mississippi when the storm hit a week ago.