"We know Bono's Christian by his love" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2004, 03:55 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:41 AM

Old 07-11-2004, 08:47 PM   #17
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 06:41 AM
It's been ages since I've been in this forum (and I'm regretting it already! LOL!). This was a very nice article however. This quote hit home:

Quote:
I talk to people all the time who think Christians are basically about judgment and condemnation. In light of this, Christians really need to think about how they present themselves and their beliefs.
That is SO TRUE!!! Christians scare people away from Christianity. No offence, First Big W, but your first post there is a classic example.

Quote:
The danger is when a person makes such things as love, spirituality, humanitarian efforts, etc. their primary goal and desire rather than making God their number one focus. Love and good works apart from a close relationship with God through Christ is, quite frankly, pointless humanistic nonsense which simply deceives a person into believing that they're a "good person" rather than relying upon Christ as their only hope of being cleansed and made righteous.
Yeah, love, spirituality and humanitarian efforts....now THAT's a bad thing to have as your primary focus alright.

We should BE so lucky if more people were like that.

Talk about unfriendly!!!!! I see nothing wrong with trying to be a good person. POINTLESS Humanistic nonsense? Oh. So a non Christian who does charity work is not only going to hell, but their good works are also discounted as being totally poinless. Great.

You'd think that extreme Christian types would try to lure us "on the fencers" with honey rather than vinegar. Try "Good works are wonderful and to be admired! Jesus would approve." for starters rather than "Don't even bother with good works, they mean nothing coming from a heathen like YOU who is going to hell anyway." It's just NOT condusive to welcoming people into the Christian community and viewpoint.

Just my 0.02.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:01 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Saw this thread had popped up again...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge
You'd think that extreme Christian types would try to lure us "on the fencers" with honey rather than vinegar. Try "Good works are wonderful and to be admired! Jesus would approve." for starters rather than "Don't even bother with good works, they mean nothing coming from a heathen like YOU who is going to hell anyway." It's just NOT condusive to welcoming people into the Christian community and viewpoint.

Just my 0.02.
Agreed. Telling people they're going to hell usually tends to piss them off. Believe me, I know from experience (it definitely pisses me off, and I personally do believe in a god (then again, I don't believe in hell, so perhaps that's why it makes me mad)!).

By the way, looking back through this thread, my other post in here that a couple of people quoted from-the only part of that post that was my thoughts was from the thumbs up down to my name (obviously ). None of the rest of that was my words-I was just quoting my favorite part of the article, and those couple of people, when replying, seemed to think otherwise (at least, that's how it looked to me, if that's not the case, then forget all of this), so...just wanted to clear that up, and sorry for any potential confusion. .

Angela
Old 07-12-2004, 01:10 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:41 PM
I agree with these last 2 posts.

I'm now going to disappear and run my nails down a chalkboard.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:24 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
God just loves you. The goal is to love one another - be tolerant of each other. It also says that if you follow Christ's actions that you wouldn't be worried about the day of judgment.

I don't fear judgment day because I believe that God already loves me and the goal is to follow Christ in deeds. Christ favored the poor and needy and assisted them. God says "Love thy neighbor" and I don't believe it means making yourself feel superior because YOU have the right belief about God and others don't. It means having the judgment of others, bigotry, racism and intolerance being washed clean from your heart.
well said, bostonanne.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:29 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Old 07-13-2004, 07:22 AM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge

Yeah, love, spirituality and humanitarian efforts....now THAT's a bad thing to have as your primary focus alright.

We should BE so lucky if more people were like that.

Talk about unfriendly!!!!! I see nothing wrong with trying to be a good person. POINTLESS Humanistic nonsense? Oh. So a non Christian who does charity work is not only going to hell, but their good works are also discounted as being totally poinless. Great.

Mrs. Edge, not all Christians believe that. There are so many ways to view Christianity and to be a Christian. My view is that to be a good Christian, you try your best to follow in Jesusí path. Bono is the best example that I know. He/U2 even spreads the word of God's Love through their music. For me, the big change in myself when I started attending Church wasn't a new special relationship with God. It was being part of a community that wants to provide support to the poor and needy. Watching the Congregation take care of each other, being a part of a Congregation that raises money for all different needs. Being part of a Congregation that puts their time into meeting other people's needs. Forty people in my Congregation are in upper state New York working of fixing some peoples houses. They gave up their vacation time to do God's work. I can't wait until I can go - when my 4 year old is old enough to join too. When they come back, there is a year's worth of enlightening moments of joy and appreciation that is reminisced and shared with the rest of us that didn't get to go. I truly think that's what it's all about and through this giving and weekly worship we become closer to God.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:10 PM   #23
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Thank you for your responses.... Nothing depresses me more than the whole topic of Christianity and religion because I wish that I could be religious but there are too many obstacles in the way that I am trying unsuccessfully to get past.

For example, today I saw an A&E biography on David Berkowitz (Son of Sam). After being a famous serial killer and spending a great deal of time in jail, he is now a Born Again Christian. He wants everything to be "wiped clean". He feels wonderful now, the chains that bind have been released. Now his life will have purpose. Well GOOD FOR HIM! I don't think he DESERVES to feel wonderful and have his bad deeds wiped clean. How does this in any way make up for what he did to the victims? I just can't believe that Born Again Christians literally get away with murder and God says "you have a relationship with me so....no problem" How do you all wrap your heads and hearts around this????

I know I've asked this question before in some form or other, but I never get a truly satisfactory answer, so I keep forgetting what the reasoning is. I guess I'm one of these people that has to hear it over and over again until something clicks.

Also, it was a Baptist minister that converted him. What is the difference between Baptists, Pentacostals, Charismatic Christians, Evangelicals and the like? Are they all in the same category?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:51 AM   #24
Refugee

It is frustrating to think that a serial killer can be given God's Grace. While I believe that God's Grace is given to all people, I also believe there has to be some type of penalty for such terrible sins. I asked my Pastor recently and she said that she didn't know what would happen and that she thought it was a gray area. I believe it has to do with how much his soul has really changed. If he just becomes "born again" and has the same thoughts and feelings then I don't think he truly changed. If he becomes born again and his heart is filled with love and he spends the rest of his life doing good deeds - well that has to count for something I guess.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:04 AM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
It is frustrating to think that a serial killer can be given God's Grace. While I believe that God's Grace is given to all people, I also believe there has to be some type of penalty for such terrible sins. I asked my Pastor recently and she said that she didn't know what would happen and that she thought it was a gray area. I believe it has to do with how much his soul has really changed. If he just becomes "born again" and has the same thoughts and feelings then I don't think he truly changed. If he becomes born again and his heart is filled with love and he spends the rest of his life doing good deeds - well that has to count for something I guess.
"I tell you there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine respectable people who do not need to repent."

So yeah, I guess you could say it counts.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:00 AM   #26
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Well... this thread surely has strayed...

People have short memories.

http://forum.interference.com/t88906.html
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:53 AM   #27
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:41 PM
batten down the hatches...
Old 07-16-2004, 07:58 AM   #28
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

One thing no one else, not even the writer of the article, has mentioned that Bono also practices Christian love close to him--how many major rock stars like Bono can say they've had one wife for 20 years on whom they've never cheated?

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:07 AM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
how many major rock stars like Bono can say they've had one wife for 20 years
or normal people for that matter?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #30
New Yorker

Jess, there's a great book I read a while ago called "Being a Christian Without Being Religious." You might enjoy it.

I've never worried about being "religious". Jesus wasn't. Just ask the Pharasees.

SD