Utah: Back to back firing squad executions - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2003, 02:41 AM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Utah: Back to back firing squad executions

This isn't necessarily an anti death penalty thread, more the method of choice, and the fact there IS a choice. I find this altogether too inhumane I think. I'm not entirely sure yet, but I'm a little disturbed by this.

Link

Old 05-25-2003, 03:27 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:35 PM
So if it was death by injection it would not bother you?

Old 05-25-2003, 06:06 AM   #3
Creator of the Blue Crack

The problem I see with this.. besides being inhumane... is the likely hood that they know they are getting celebrity like attn by making the choice they have.

Kinda like a suicide bomber?
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:05 PM
what was the crime they committed?
Old 05-25-2003, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
what was the crime they committed?

You could answer that question by reading the article....

but murder(multiple) would be the answer you'd find.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 05-25-2003, 02:42 PM   #6
She's the One

Utah: The world's most beautiful place run by the US's most retro populace.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:23 PM   #7
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Utah: The world's most beautiful place run by the US's most retro populace.
That comment is fairly offensive to my religion.

There are more than a few states who still use the death penalty, I dont understand why you had to make this derogatory comment aimed at the general Utah populace, which everyone knows is primarily members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:42 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

u2popmofo,

I spend every Christmas at a house on 880 E in Orem.

A lot of my family is LDS.

I don't find Martha's remarks over the top or offensive to my loved ones.

We are in interational forum and I am sure there are many Muslims here.

There are far more offensive remarks on this board almost everyday towards Muslims.

Besides, Texas is starting to make Utah look reasonable.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:24 AM   #9
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

That comment is fairly offensive to my religion.

There are more than a few states who still use the death penalty, I dont understand why you had to make this derogatory comment aimed at the general Utah populace, which everyone knows is primarily members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints.
The comment was not aimed at Mormons in particular. I would not be so foolish as to lump all of any group into one. My personal experiences with the general population of Utah, along with published reports, such as the one linked in this thread, led me to the conclusion I stated above. It was not meant to offend anyone, including you. However, I do stand by my comments. Utah is one of the most beautiful places on our planet. Execution by firing squad is an old, barbaric practice from way back in the bad old days. The article linked states that it's based on old Mormon ideas from the 1800s. That is retro. If the comment offends, perhaps an examination of why it offends is in order.

As for other states still having the death penalty, including my own, don't even get me started. And for the record, I say more offensive things about Texans.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:53 AM   #10
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:35 PM
So "retro" as you call it is somehow bad? I probably didnt understand what you were saying, but I thought you were making it sound like Utah is bad because being "retro" as you say, is bad.

Regardless, Utah does have a conservative populace. Is there something inherently wrong with that? No, it's the populace's constitutional right. Is there something wrong with a populace using their own religious beliefs to make political decisions when voting? No, this also is the constitutional right of every citizen of the United States. Go U.S.A.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:32 AM   #11
Jesus Online

"Utah's use of firing squads predates statehood in 1896 and is a remnant of the early Mormon belief that bloodshed is a required punishment for taking a life, said Richard Dieter, director of the Death Penalty Information Center, which says it is neutral about the death penalty but critical of its application.

"Certainly no other state has continued its use or allowed people to choose it. It's the one thing that stands out," Dieter said. "It's part of the history, so there's a reluctance to change."

The notion that murder must be atoned for in blood has never been part of official church doctrine, and the Mormon church has not taken a formal position on execution methods, said Robert Millet, Brigham Young University religion professor. "

If you take that into account, an opinion of the Mormon belief and its stance on the death penalty and firing squad executions in particular is not really relevant. Not to imply anyone is targetting the faith specifically, even though this faith makes up a large percentage of Utah's population.

Deep, it wouldn't necessarily not bother me, but this is simply about this particular method. A bullet is much more violent and less civilised than an injection. I wonder why when we have the means for such a clinical and cold method, we would choose a firing squad over it? Part of it is the connotation with shooting itself. I remember whatching the program on CNN for McVeigh's execution and once 7.14am your time ticked over, I couldn't watch anymore. Even though it wasn't being shown, knowing that while the names scrolled down the screen, a man was losing his life by order of the courts was a very weird thing to behold. I'm not condoning what a criminal does to get themselves to that point, 168 lives lost and 100's more friends and families devastated by his actions is a pretty huge deal. But at least it was humane. A hard and clinical method, rather than a firing squad which strikes me as emotional and yes barbaric.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:02 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:35 PM
I just do not like the fact that these two criminals get to shoose the method, and increase their press because of the choice they have made. It is a stupid law to let them pick the method. Firing squad should not be an option.

Peace
Old 05-26-2003, 09:21 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:35 PM
Is the firing squad made out of volunteers? Even though I am against the deathpenalty, to be honest, I see no difference between a firing squad or a lethal injection or the chair. The result is the same and the victims will probably feel the same amount of pain (if any).
Old 05-26-2003, 10:48 AM   #14
Jesus Online

Yeah it is, they're asking for volunteers from the police dept.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
So "retro" as you call it is somehow bad? I probably didnt understand what you were saying, but I thought you were making it sound like Utah is bad because being "retro" as you say, is bad.

Regardless, Utah does have a conservative populace. Is there something inherently wrong with that? No, it's the populace's constitutional right. Is there something wrong with a populace using their own religious beliefs to make political decisions when voting? No, this also is the constitutional right of every citizen of the United States. Go U.S.A.

Martha is also allowed to have the opinion that 'retro' is bad. Let's not beat the dead horse, ok?

She wasn't saying that all people from Utah are barbaric, or even that all Mormons are. If she had made some generalization like that, I think you'd have the right to be offended, but she didn't. She just voiced her opinion, which she is entitled to as a right of every citizen of the United States. Go U.S.A.

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.