US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #751
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:12 PM
My very own church openly discusses how the pro-life movement is THE only way to go. They take collections for pro-life marches on Washington.

That's much worse than talking about MLK. And that's my own church!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #752
Blue Crack Addict

If you want to get away from the pressing issues of the day when you're in church, well I would question that. Certainly overt politics don't belong there but so many of the issues are tied in to what God and Jesus and whatever your Deities are might be are all about. Feeding the hungry and all that evolves from that, social justice, peace, the list goes on and on.

Huckabee's sermons are far more political than anything Obama said there. When Obama starts talking about amending the Constitution to be in line with God then we can make comparisons. Nothing Obama has said scares me or seems inappropriate mixing of religion and politics- Huckabee is absolutely that to me and it scares me.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #753
Blue Crack Addict

Rudy will live to see another primary-Johnny Damon campaigned with him in Florida today

Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #754
Blue Crack Supplier

At one point, he looked like Jesus.

Take that, Huckabee!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #755
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Quote:
Here's the speech Senator Obama made in the church

"The Scripture tells us that when Joshua and the Israelites arrived at the gates of Jericho, they could not enter. The walls of the city were too steep for any one person to climb; too strong to be taken down with brute force. And so they sat for days, unable to pass on through.

But God had a plan for his people. He told them to stand together and march together around the city, and on the seventh day he told them that when they heard the sound of the ram’s horn, they should speak with one voice. And at the chosen hour, when the horn sounded and a chorus of voices cried out together, the mighty walls of Jericho came tumbling down.

There are many lessons to take from this passage, just as there are many lessons to take from this day.

This is one of many "stories" in the "good book" that is very evil.

What did Joshua and his band of brothers do?

They went in and butchered every man, woman, child, baby, fetus, old person, etc without mercy

but they did not stop there -
they killed every living creature

and what were the murdered gullty of?

living peacably in there own homes
but the invaders coveted and wanted their land

is this any worse or better than a person that walks into a cafe and blows up only 5-6 people?

yes, i learned this story very young, in Sunday school, and I used to celebrate it!!

But why, because I chose to identify with Joshua?
but what of the butchered people?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #756
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
At one point, he looked like Jesus.

Take that, Huckabee!
Looks like Jesus

Acts like Judas

Throws like Mary
Old 01-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #757
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:12 AM
“Any person who has knelt in prayer to the Almighty has a friend and ally in me.”
(Mitt Romney, US presidential hopeful)

“The hand of God today is in every step of what happens with me and every human being that exists on this planet.”
(John Edwards, US presidential hopeful)

“I have had a grounding in faith that gave me the courage and the strength to do what I thought was right, regardless of what the world thought. And that’s all one can expect or hope for.”
(Hillary Clinton, US presidential hopeful)

“My Bible tells me that if we train a child in the way he should go, when he is old he will not turn from it. So I think faith and guidance can help fortify … a sense of reverence that all young people should have for the act of sexual intimacy.”
(Barack Obama, US presidential hopeful)

“The Bible was not written to be amended. The Constitution was,”
(Mike Huckabee, US presidential hopeful speaking of making gay marriage and abortion constitutionally impossible)

http://www.secularism.org.uk/

The only good thing that very few of them actually mean it.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #758
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Good quotes, these really define the difference in our canidates.

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
“Any person who has knelt in prayer to the Almighty has a friend and ally in me.”
(Mitt Romney, US presidential hopeful)
To me this says those who don't believe will not have a friend in Mitt. Do we need another divider?

Quote:

“The hand of God today is in every step of what happens with me and every human being that exists on this planet.”
(John Edwards, US presidential hopeful)
This sounds like a very personal approach to faith. Any believer would believe that their god has a hand in everything and everyone, but I don't hear any judgement in this quote.

Quote:

“I have had a grounding in faith that gave me the courage and the strength to do what I thought was right, regardless of what the world thought. And that’s all one can expect or hope for.”
(Hillary Clinton, US presidential hopeful)
I find nothing wrong with this, her personal beliefs. I agree, that's all one can hope for.

Quote:

“My Bible tells me that if we train a child in the way he should go, when he is old he will not turn from it. So I think faith and guidance can help fortify … a sense of reverence that all young people should have for the act of sexual intimacy.”
(Barack Obama, US presidential hopeful)

Quote:

(Mike Huckabee, US presidential hopeful speaking of making gay marriage and abortion constitutionally impossible)
This one scares the ever living shit out of me. Huckabilly would run this country further into the ground if elected.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #759
ONE
love, blood, life

Just looking at Huckabee answer an evolution question shows some great ignorance; but with some good politics (if Americans want a president that doesn't believe in God then there are plenty of choices).

Justifying himself on the basis of his own ignorance gets applause though, very old timey
Old 01-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #760
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh and youtubing Ron Paul and evolution just gets on the same level of stupid, does seem to fit with some of the columns on the role of religion in the state (one where freedom of religious expression trumps secular governance).

But he isn't running religion as his platform and he doesn't have a chance, unlike the evangelical of choice.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #761
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Good quotes, these really define the difference in our canidates.

And of course, to you, all the Republicans' quotes were offensive and all the Democrats' were completely acceptable.

I'm shocked.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #762
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

And of course, to you, all the Republicans' quotes were offensive and all the Democrats' were completely acceptable.

I'm shocked.
Well try and refute my explanations please. The Republicans' divided, the Dems didn't.

You didn't quote those, I'm shocked.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #763
ONE
love, blood, life

They are also happen to be the most exclusionary quotes. Huckabee would shit all over the constitution even more than Bush has, seems to have no conception of the secular liberal democracy and is statist to boot. Regardless of party he is a very unappealing candidate to all but evangelicals.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #764
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I agree, I really thought we couldn't do worse than Bush, but Huckabilly would actually make me consider moving...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #765
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

(Mike Huckabee)

And the Constitution was amended. It now reads "Congress shall make no laws respecting the establishment of religion...."