US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #706
Refugee

Local Time: 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
They keep excluding Kucinich from debates. It's not fair.
Yea it is ridiculous how they also have been excluding Mike Gravel and Duncan Hunter. Ron Paul was also excluded from the FoxNews NH which is absolutely unfair and biased considering that he had 10% of the vote in Iowa.

And its not only excluding. With most of the debates last year, people like Ron Paul, Mike Gravel and Dennis Kucinich always got the fewest questions. And in all these debates, these people most of the time have to stand on the far sides of the stage, which may sound silly to bring up, but it just shows how much the media wants to not give attention to them. What makes me angry is that Fred Thompson got so much attention, even before he announced his candidacy, even though he announced it relatively late, even though he wasn't in many of the earlier debates because of this, and the worst part of it is that the main reason he got all the attention is because he is an actor. Even now, while he did the worst in the amount of combined votes in Iowa+NH and Giuliani did the second worst, they both still get more attention in the media than Ron Paul does.

The media

Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #707
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Unfortunately, I'm forced to agree with you.

The "black folks can make fine speeches but it's the white people who get things done" argument isn't pretty. But then the Clintons wouldn't be the first--remember Joe Biden?
That is one way to spin it

do you really believe this?

You disregard Clinton's record on race relations?

Do you believe Clinton in office did not deserve the respect and support he got from people for his actions on race?

Having lived through the 60s, I was born in 1955
my perception is that MLK jr was one of the more effective leaders for change, absolutely the most prominent.

Yes, this is a campaign and both sides are using every comparison and perception to their advantage.

Don't forget Mitt watched his Dad march with MLK jr.

Anyways, I don't think it is unreasonable for Hillary to suggest that a powerful, effective speaker-leader is the "change agent" and a "savvy, risk taking, politician" is the person that completes what the "change agent" started.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #708
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Having seen what things white people in the US get done, I'll take my chances with another race.

This kind of campaigning is truly nauseating.

This is sound reasoning???

Because African Americans were disenfranchised under the "white" president Bill Clinton.

So vote race

Alan Keyes will gladly accept your vote.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #709
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

That is one way to spin it

do you really believe this?
Actually, I don't think there was anything intentional in Clinton's statement. BUT. . .though she may not have meant to say it, what she said is, "if Obma's MLK than I'm LBJ and let's face it, MLK made some pretty speeches but it was LBJ that got the job done." In otherwords, if we elect Obama we get pretty speeches. If we elect her, the job gets done.

I definitely don't think that the Clinton's have any conscious issues with racism. I would disagree with 2861U2 that the Democrats will make a deliberate campaign strategy decisions that use race (i.e. Willie Horton) but I would agree that racism is not a soley Republican disease. When racism comes out on the left, it usually comes out unintentionally (Joe Biden for example) and that is what could be argued happened with Hillary's recent comments. The idea that black people are great "entertainers" but that white people are better suited for the mental agility required for leadership is not unheard of.

Quote:
Anyways, I don't think it is unreasonable for Hillary to suggest that a powerful, effective speaker-leader is the "change agent" and a "savvy, risk taking, politician" is the person that completes what the "change agent" started.
But honestly, Deep, you know Hillary wasn't engaging in casual conversation here. She was trying to make a point: That'd she'd do a better job than Obama. Unfortunately, it ended up reflecting poorly on Dr. King.

Truthfully, I think it's a whole lot of fuss about not much, but I guess that's the nature of politics these days.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 AM   #710
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:40 PM
While I grimaced and cringed when I first heard about the MLK/LBJ remark, I was still surprised when the story proceeded to dominate the national political news for several days (with some worthy op-eds and blog pieces emerging as a result)--I got the feeling a lot of pundits had been itching for an excuse to analyze the Democratic contest in terms of race (and to a lesser extent, gender) without risking seeming crass by raising those issues themselves. I wouldn't necessarily say such 'slip-ups' are a first for the Clintons (Bill Clinton's '92 campaign gave us the phrase 'Sister Souljah moment,' after all) but needless to say, the nature of the circumstances made this particular one glaringly visible. I more or less said what I thought about Hillary's analogy in the Thatcher thread, but I do understand where deep's coming from--an analogy-in-response-to-an-analogy is almost by definition open to multiple interpretations, 'gut-response' as well as analytical, and while I'd be disinclined to argue anyone else's much beyond suggesting other possibilities, I'm likewise reluctant to definitively pin down any one as the 'most likely' subconscious explanation myself. I do think Hillary has been getting more intense scrutiny of everything she does in the press in general than is fair, but on the other hand, Obama was put in a tight spot by the tensions all that coverage stirred too because, realistically, as a black man he can't afford to be associated with any perceived 'undue anger' from his supporters, lest that scare off white voters. (Especially after her campaign pounced on the memo from his SC press secretary and tried to parlay it into an implication that his campaign had somehow engineered the entire collective response to her remarks.)

Mostly, I hope both of them will proceed at this point to focus on debating each other on the issues--poverty, education, the criminal justice system, and so forth--and stop running so much of a 'personality campaign' ("I'm the vision candidate, she's the paper-shuffler" "I'm the experience candidate, he's the bearer of false hope"--actual phrases used by both of them towards each other there).

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #711
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

This is sound reasoning???
I think about 65% of the time, you read what you want to read in people's comments regardless of what is actually there.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #712
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Who made the MLK remark?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #713
Blue Crack Addict

I'm just sick about Romney winning Michigan. I still don't know who won for the Democrats.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #714
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I'm just sick about Romney winning Michigan. I still don't know who won for the Democrats.
Well, it would help if Michigan hadn't had its delegates confiscated this time out by the DNC for being a bad little state
Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #715
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 01-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #716
Blue Crack Addict

This is for laughs (and Irvine):

http://slatev.com/player.html?id=1377935786
Old 01-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #717
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
REPUBLICAN RIVALS SHARE ONE BOND: ALL LOSERS

By CHARLES HURT

January 16, 2008 -- WASHINGTON - With this field of losers, it's no wonder the race for the GOP presidential nomination remains completely up for grabs.
The only common bond among the Republicans running is that each one has managed to humiliate himself with disastrous defeats at some point or another.

These guys have no running game, no passing game, no nothing.

Mike Huckabee got the ball in Iowa and promptly dropped it. John McCain got it in New Hampshire and fumbled it last night in Michigan.

Now Mitt Romney has the ball and is destined to drop it in South Carolina on Saturday.

But there's only one GOP candidate that beats all the rest at being a loser: Rudy Giuliani.

He has perfected the art of underperforming to the point that his campaign now insists it was all part of his game plan.

He's been reduced to watching from the sidelines and praying for other people to lose - like McCain in Michigan so his momentum would be stalled - rather than getting in the game and winning himself.

In fact, Rudy's campaigned so badly that the latest poll shows him losing New Jersey, which had a front-row seat for his shining moment during 9/11.

Even fringe candidate Ron Paul - the million-to-one long shot everybody picks on to make themselves look good - is beating Giuliani.

Paul, who finished ahead of Giuliani in Michigan, currently has twice as much claim on the Republican nomination as "America's Mayor."
Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #718
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

what a great movie. has Reese ever been better?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #719
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

Cute!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #720
She's the One

I loved this Toles cartoon the other day.