US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrsSpringsteen said:
Do you get what he meant by that?

Hilary's relationship is under scrutiny by people on a message boardOHMYGODSHESUNELECTABLENOTPRESIDENTIALMATERIAL!!!!!

is what I got out of it.

phillyfan26 said:

Hilary's relationship is under scrutiny by people on a message boardOHMYGODSHESUNELECTABLENOTPRESIDENTIALMATERIAL!!!!!

is what I got out of it.

No not diamond, Bill Clinton. I know, it's easy to mix up the two of them :wink:

I wonder if this will show up on the evening news tonight.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320582,00.html

The alleged security coordinator and bodyguard for Al Qaeda terror chieftain Usama bin Laden was arrested in Pakistan sometime last week, the influential newspaper The Nation reported Monday.

Amin al-Haq, 48, also known under the alias Dr. Amin Ah Haq, was arrested last week in Lahore during a special police operation and is being interrogated by Pakistani intelligence, the newspaper reported citing an anonymous law enforcement source.

Pakistani officials have not yet confirmed the arrest.

Amin al-Haq was part of the Afghan delegation flown to Sudan in 1996 to bring bin Laden to Afghanistan. Amin al-Haq is believed to be an active member of the Hizbe Islami Afghanistan party, which joined the Taliban movement in 1996.

The U.S. froze Amin al-Haq's assets after the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

This guy might have a ton of information, and if we can get it out of him, this bodes well for the Republicans. No way can it benefit someone like Obama who has zero foreign policy experience.

2861U2 said:
This guy might have a ton of information, and if we can get it out of him, this bodes well for the Republicans. No way can it benefit someone like Obama who has zero foreign policy experience.

If we can get accurate information out of him, this bodes well for America. Republicans and Democrats alike.

2861U2 said:
I wonder if this will show up on the evening news tonight.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320582,00.html

The alleged security coordinator and bodyguard for Al Qaeda terror chieftain Usama bin Laden was arrested in Pakistan sometime last week, the influential newspaper The Nation reported Monday.

Amin al-Haq, 48, also known under the alias Dr. Amin Ah Haq, was arrested last week in Lahore during a special police operation and is being interrogated by Pakistani intelligence, the newspaper reported citing an anonymous law enforcement source.

Pakistani officials have not yet confirmed the arrest.

Amin al-Haq was part of the Afghan delegation flown to Sudan in 1996 to bring bin Laden to Afghanistan. Amin al-Haq is believed to be an active member of the Hizbe Islami Afghanistan party, which joined the Taliban movement in 1996.

The U.S. froze Amin al-Haq's assets after the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

Don't you ever get tired of badmouthing Obama?

2861U2 said:

No way can it benefit someone like Obama who has zero foreign policy experience.

No that can't be true. Obama has always advocated that we go into Pakistan to search for bin Laden, other members of al-Qaeda, and the Taliban, whether or not we are invited. And this guy was just found in Pakistan. So if anything, it will help Obama.

2861U2 said:

This guy might have a ton of information, and if we can get it out of him,

how are you going to get it out of him?

i have an idea. let's waterboard him. that way, he'll come up with all sorts of fantastical plots that have no basis in reality, but will be wonderful justifications for whatever interrogation methods were used in extracting said information.

circles in the sand, go round and round ...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
What does this have to do with the campaign?:huh: :huh: :huh:

I don't think much at all. I was just responding to 2861U2 because he said that this will hurt Obama which it definitely won't.

namkcuR said:

Don't you ever get tired of badmouthing Obama?

Considering they think that Obama has no experience and stands for nothing, they're sure hysterical about him.

Infinitum98 said:

I don't think much at all. I was just responding to 2861U2 because he said that this will hurt Obama which it definitely won't.

No, I was asking 2861, what that article had to do with the campaign. Sorry about that.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
What does this have to do with the campaign?:huh: :huh: :huh:

I didn't know where else to put it. I figured I'd put it here, seeing as throughout the next year, things like this and OBL videotapes and (God forbid) terrorist attacks will certainly impact the election, IMO.

2861U2 said:

I didn't know where else to put it. I figured I'd put it here, seeing as throughout the next year, things like this and OBL videotapes and (God forbid) terrorist attacks will certainly impact the election, IMO.

How does Pakistani officials arresting this man do anything in Republican favor? Please explain this to me. You're making no sense.

If they get information (regardless of its reliability), it lends creedance to the argument for torture as an interrogation technique.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How does Pakistani officials arresting this man do anything in Republican favor? Please explain this to me. You're making no sense.

I think he was insinuating that if we(the USA) were able to get tangible information out of this guy about where Osama is or what he's doing, and if we could be sure that said information was the truth and if it led in any way directly or indirectly to locating and/or capturing Osama or any other high-ranking Al Queda people, Republicans would use that in their 'look, we're winning the war on terror' arguements.

But that's a lot of ifs.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

But that's a lot of ifs.

oh, don't you worry, the Republicans have ways of turning an "if" into an "is":

Waterboarding_Definition_Wikipedia24dec05a.jpg

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Hillary Clinton isn't the only one worried about Barack Obama's post-Iowa momentum. A former top Republican official tells CNN Obama could win a significant portion of the Republican vote in a general election, if he becomes the Democratic nominee.

The leading Republican strategist, who requested anonymity because this person advises a number of Republican presidential candidates, told CNN "I think Barack Obama is a potential Robert Kennedy or Reagan figure." And "in terms of raw political horsepower, he is the most electable of any of the Democrats and potentially more electable than Bill Clinton. If he ran the right campaign he could appeal to a substantial number of Republicans and Independents."

He keeps getting compared to RFK, who is my ultimate political hero. I usually refrain when it comes to comparing ANYONE to RFK, but the way Obama is inspiring people he's coming pretty darn close.

What frightens me is with all these Kennedy comparisons comes the element of danger. Even with secret service candidates are so exposed to so many people, I really hope nothing horrific happens. To anyone.

I'm just glad we allow two small States, with a grand total of about 4.3 million people to be able to virtually pick the candidates, from both sides, all by themselves.

Why not just have a fucking Los Angeles COUNTY primary on Jan 2nd and let the 10 million people in that COUNTY choose it and just be done with it.

Save lots of time, money and effort on everyones part.
Surely a vastly more diverse representation as well.

The voter apathy is almost understandable sometimes.

Moving forward, at least 9, maybe 10 months into the dynamic of the Presidential race, the election for the most powerful person on the planet determined by two States (toss in South Carolina if it makes you happier) in the space of a few weeks.

True Democracy? methinks me is hard to convince.

Ok, I'm being cynical, I'll try and offer a solution.

5 Super Tuesdays, spread over 5 consecutive weeks.

10 States in each Primary day, determined by selective geography. (you wouldn't have Alabama and Mississippi or New York and New Jersey on the same day or even consecutive weeks).

Also determined by selective population base (New York, California, Texas all on different weeks).

Keep geographical candidates from steamrolling, keep larger States from determining anymore than other States, small or large. Ultimately, try and balance it where the ACTUAL votes are causing the outcomes rather than the bank balance and media coverage.

I think it would also really show the eventual winners who they should pick for their Vp candidates and have it make more sense.

Whatever.....
It would never happen in a thousand years, so oh well. :wink:

Yeah Hillary really had a whopper of an emotional breakdown. Romney does it three times and it barely merits a mention- Hillary does it once and it's one of the lead stories, if not the lead story, on all the major newscasts. The double standard is alive and well.

thinkprogress.org

Media Torn Over Whether To Cast Clinton As ‘Weak’ Or ‘Calculating’ For ‘Emotional’ Display

Today at a campaign event in New Hampshire, Sen. Hillary Clinton’s (D-NY) “eyes welled up with tears” as she spoke about why she was running for president. “It’s not easy, and I couldn’t do it if I didn’t passionately believe it was the right thing to do,” she said.

In a piece entitled, “Can Clinton’s Emotions Get The Best Of Her?,” ABC News wrote, “Whether Clinton has appeared too emotional, too sensitive or too weak in her recent public appearances is still up for debate.”

Many in the media have been quick to compare Clinton’s emotions to former 1972 Democratic presidential candidate Ed Muskie, who was taunted as weak and unpresidential after he became emotional on the campaign trail. Fox News pundits Michelle Malkin and Bill Kristol, however, took a different tact, calling Clinton’s emotions a “calculated” moment.

The media’s excoriation and mocking of Clinton contrast with their treatment of prominent conservative politicians who have cried in the past. Their tears, according to these pundits, are “genuine,” “poignant,” and “extraordinary”:

On Mitt Romney:

Mitt Romney’s eyes filled with tears Monday as the Republican presidential contender recalled watching the casket of a soldier killed in Iraq return to the United States and imagined if it were one of his five sons. Adding a poignant twist to a story he often tells on the campaign, Romney recalled the scene at Boston’s Logan International Airport while he was Massachusetts governor. [AP, 12/17/07]

But the fact that he teared up, people said, “Whoa, we thought he was so wooden and robotic, and there he is actually tearing up.” So actually, I think it does have an impact. It’s a genuine moment. It seems genuine. [Newsweek’s Richard Wolffe, MSNBC, 12/17/07]

President Bush:

The pictures were just what the White House wanted: A teary-eyed President Bush presenting the Medal of Honor posthumously to a slain war hero in the East Room. [Washington Post, 1/12/07]

A tear rolled down Bush’s cheek during the event, an extraordinary display of emotion by the commander-in-chief. Bush has been known to tear up and reportedly once cried in a private meeting with war widows. [Chicago Sun-Times, 1/12/07]

The president is tremendously sentimental. Forget about putting his parents anywhere near him. At his inauguration he purposely kept them out of his line of sight so he could stay as dry-eyed as possible. He has learned not to brush the tears away. [Newsweek, 4/02]

Defense Secretary Robert Gates

Robert Gates almost broke down as he gave a speech at a Marine Corps dinner. … Mr Gates’s show of feeling suggests that he brings a more human side to the role of defence secretary. [BBC, 7/19/07]

What is less often visible is the toll this war takes on the people who run the operation. Tonight we have a rare glimpse of emotion from a man who normally carefully chooses his words, the Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates. … a rare public display of emotion from the civilian in charge of this war effort. [NBC News, 7/19/07]

George H.W. Bush

Wiping away tears as he recalled praying at Camp David before ordering the start of the Persian Gulf war, President Bush today offered a testimony of emotion, politics and faith to a cheering crowd of thousands of Southern Baptists. [New York Times, 7/7/91]

UPDATE: Matt Stoller at OpenLeft observes, “When Edwards almost gets choked up and talks about how personal XYZ person is on the trail, he’s just passionate. When Clinton does it, she suddenly becomes a hysterical weak woman.”

Last edited:
Was diamond in NH? :wink: How classy and mature

By PHILIP ELLIOTT, Associated Press Writer

Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign stop was interrupted Monday when two men stood in the crowd and began screaming, "Iron my shirt!" during one of her final appearances before the New Hampshire primary.

Clinton, a former first lady running to become the nation's first female president, laughed at the seemingly sexist protest that suggested a woman's place is doing the laundry and not running the country.

"Ah, the remnants of sexism — alive and well," Clinton said to applause in a school auditorium.

The two men were removed from the hall after raising a pair of signs that said, "Iron my shirt!" They also shouted the same slogan.

"Can we turn the lights on? It's awfully dark," Clinton said, cueing the lights to come and police to come forward to take the men away.

The overflow crowd burst into applause and some began shouting, "Iron my shirt" as the two were taken from the hall.

"As I think has been abundantly demonstrated, I am also running to break through the highest and hardest glass ceiling," she said.

Clinton later joked about the incident as she invited questions.

"If there's anyone left in the auditorium who wants to learn how to iron a shirt, I'll talk about that," she said with a smile.

^

They should put up photos of those two guys on the main page of all the local newspapers so that the women in the area have fair warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom