"Think the time is right for violent revolution" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:52 PM
Re: Re: "Think the time is right for violent revolution"

Originally posted by CTU2fan
The question is, is it possible for an outside group to eliminate the corrupt within a government without throwing the whole society into chaos? Assuming the problem isn't the political system, but rather the crooked politicians within, is it possible to maintain that system while removing the criminals?
I would imagine it is possible. There'd probably be examples where the system itself needs an overhaul, too, but for the most part I think the problem is mainly more with the people running things than the setup itself a lot of the time. I guess I'd suggest removing the criminals and then, if society is still pretty civil and intact after all that, work together and ask whether or not the system in place indeed needs any sprucing up or if it's fine the way it is.

Originally posted by CTU2fan
The question is, what about governments who participate in ethnic cleansing, when the majority of the nation support it? Should those governments be overthrown, despite the support of most of their citizens? That's speaking in hypotheticals I suspect, because I'm not sure these countries' citizens support such atrocities.
Yeah, I think most of the time if citizens do look the other way when this sort of thing's going on, it's probably more out of fear than anything else. They're afraid of what'll happen to them or their loved ones if they dare to speak up. But silently, they probably do oppose such horrific methods.

That said, let's say the citizens do genuinely support it...well, I guess my argument then would be that majority thinking isn't automatically the right line of thinking, and the fact that millions of people's lives are in danger would be enough reason for a government change, I would think.