They're Coming After You - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 07:28 AM
They're Coming After You

Walter Williams:
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/W...ming_after_you
__________________

__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 01:28 PM
Deja vu is setting in.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 2,451
Local Time: 06:28 AM
They've been after us for years. It won't stop. These kind of people never stop. What feeds them is a inordinate amount of self righteous politically correctism. I wish they would answer me this on the smoking bans...Why is it that when I was a kid we were exposed to smoke constantly yet the cases of kids with asthma was almost non-existent, whereas today it seems if they don't have a horrible peanut allergy then they have asthma. Somethings going on and it has absolutley nothing to do with second hand smoke.
__________________
Harry Vest is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
Why is it that when I was a kid we were exposed to smoke constantly yet the cases of kids with asthma was almost non-existent, whereas today it seems if they don't have a horrible peanut allergy then they have asthma. Somethings going on and it has absolutley nothing to do with second hand smoke.
Let me ask you this... So since you don't have asthma there isn't any reason to curb second hand smoke?

Is there room for compromise, or should you be able to smoke anywhere you damn well please?
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 02-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
Why is it that when I was a kid we were exposed to smoke constantly yet the cases of kids with asthma was almost non-existent, whereas today it seems if they don't have a horrible peanut allergy then they have asthma.
Quote:
The word 'asthma' is derived from the Greek aazein, meaning "sharp breath." The word first appears in Homer's Iliad; Hippocrates was the first to use it in reference to the medical condition, in 450 BC. Hippocrates thought that the spasms associated with asthma were more likely to occur in tailors, anglers, and metalworkers. Six centuries later, Galen wrote much about asthma, noting that it was caused by partial or complete bronchial obstruction. In 1190 AD, Moses Maimonides, an influential medieval rabbi, philosopher, and physician, wrote a treatise on asthma, describing its prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. In the 17th century, Bernardino Ramazzini noted a connection between asthma and organic dust. The use of bronchodilators started in 1901, but it was not until the 1960s that the inflammatory component of asthma was recognized, and anti-inflammatory medications were added to the regimens.
Nothing like letting a bit of nonsensical romanticism get in the way of facts. Asthma, contrary to what you might think, has existed for ages.
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,806
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Is there room for compromise
Yes, there is. But things have gone a bit too far, IMO. What used to be "smoking/non smoking" is now "no smoking, period. GTFO."

The day "teenage smoking" became criteria for the MPAA's rating system is the day that this became a bit of a joke. Let people smoke in their cars, in bars, whatever. Just not elevators, restaurants...you know, places where people would actually complain about someone else smoking.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


Yes, there is. But things have gone a bit too far, IMO. What used to be "smoking/non smoking" is now "no smoking, period. GTFO."
Well I agree, there are extremes on both sides, and the extremes are ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

The day "teenage smoking" became criteria for the MPAA's rating system is the day that this became a bit of a joke. Let people smoke in their cars, in bars, whatever. Just not elevators, restaurants...you know, places where people would actually complain about someone else smoking.
Well the MPAA's ratings are just absurd. I live in a city where if more than 50% of your sales is food then you have to provide an entirely separate room for smoking, if you can't provide an entirely separate room and ventilation system than you cannot have a smoking section. I think this system has to be one of the fairest I've seen. This allows patrons and employees to make the decision if they want to breathe smoke or not...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Let people smoke in their cars, in bars, whatever. Just not elevators, restaurants...you know, places where people would actually complain about someone else smoking.
Why should people be able to smoke in bars?

If people want to smoke in their own homes or cars that's fine with me but not in public places, including bars.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #9
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,806
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well the MPAA's ratings are just absurd. I live in a city where if more than 50% of your sales is food then you have to provide an entirely separate room for smoking, if you can't provide an entirely separate room and ventilation system than you cannot have a smoking section. I think this system has to be one of the fairest I've seen. This allows patrons and employees to make the decision if they want to breathe smoke or not...
Yep, sounds fair to me. I've heard similar, along the lines of "smoking allowed in bars that get 70% or greater of their income from alcoholic beverages". Many of the laws I've read about are there to protect minors specifically, including the California ban on smoking in a car with a minor present, so I think it's fair that there should be designated smoking areas in +18 bars and clubs.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 02-26-2008, 01:07 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 06:28 AM
The problem I see is that most of these "articles" posted by Iron Horse(and I use the quotes because this one was horribly written and lack any real purpose) completely damage their cause. Comparing it to Nazi Germany? Come on!!!

Like I said, I understand there are extremes on both sides. And both extremes bother me. Anyone who thinks they should be able to smoke anywhere at anytime and deny all evidence of second hand smoke is an idiot. Just like anyone trying to make someone purchase a license to smoke is an idiot.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 AM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra


Why should people be able to smoke in bars?

I understand this question and it's something I have conflicted thoughts about. A lot of the bars here in town are providing non-smoking sections, just by their own choice, for you are still legally allowed to smoke in bars here. But let's face it, bars are a choice, more so than restaurants. You have to eat, you don't have to drink. So because of that luxury factor, I believe the patrons and owners should be allowed a little more choice.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 02-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #12
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
LJT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Belfast
Posts: 5,039
Local Time: 01:28 PM
I think saying bars are a choice compared to a restaurant because 'we have to eat' is quite a bad comparison. I would associate greater luxury with going to a restaurant....no one has to eat out, as much as no one has to have a drink.
__________________
LJT is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Who's rights are more important than the other's

Smokers or non-smokers?
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
They've been after us for years. It won't stop. These kind of people never stop. What feeds them is a inordinate amount of self righteous politically correctism. I wish they would answer me this on the smoking bans...Why is it that when I was a kid we were exposed to smoke constantly yet the cases of kids with asthma was almost non-existent, whereas today it seems if they don't have a horrible peanut allergy then they have asthma. Somethings going on and it has absolutley nothing to do with second hand smoke.
Asthma and COPD are a far too complex issue, and there are so many kinds of asthma, allergic and non-allergic, caused by a great variety of factors, and to deny (second hand) smoke is as nonsensical as to say it is the major cause. But it certainly is a cause.

Allergies, atopic dermatitis and asthma are also often caused by parents obsessed with hygiene and an increased use of antiseptics in households. Studies conducted in west and east Germany showed that the numbers of children affected by one or more of those conditions is much greater in the west than in the east, and the fact that children in the east were exposed to dirt etc. much more than in the west, where some parents literally tried to keep their children away from every piece of dirt, together with some other indicators and studies showed that the correlation between the exposition to dirt and allergies is quiet strong.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #15
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,336
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
A lot of the bars here in town are providing non-smoking sections, just by their own choice, for you are still legally allowed to smoke in bars here.
The employees who have to breathe in the addicts' smoke must be thrilled.
__________________

__________________
martha is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com