They're Coming After You - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:28 AM
They're Coming After You

Walter Williams:
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/W...ming_after_you

Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Deja vu is setting in.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 06:28 AM
They've been after us for years. It won't stop. These kind of people never stop. What feeds them is a inordinate amount of self righteous politically correctism. I wish they would answer me this on the smoking bans...Why is it that when I was a kid we were exposed to smoke constantly yet the cases of kids with asthma was almost non-existent, whereas today it seems if they don't have a horrible peanut allergy then they have asthma. Somethings going on and it has absolutley nothing to do with second hand smoke.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
Why is it that when I was a kid we were exposed to smoke constantly yet the cases of kids with asthma was almost non-existent, whereas today it seems if they don't have a horrible peanut allergy then they have asthma. Somethings going on and it has absolutley nothing to do with second hand smoke.
Let me ask you this... So since you don't have asthma there isn't any reason to curb second hand smoke?

Is there room for compromise, or should you be able to smoke anywhere you damn well please?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Why is it that when I was a kid we were exposed to smoke constantly yet the cases of kids with asthma was almost non-existent, whereas today it seems if they don't have a horrible peanut allergy then they have asthma.
Quote:
The word 'asthma' is derived from the Greek aazein, meaning "sharp breath." The word first appears in Homer's Iliad; Hippocrates was the first to use it in reference to the medical condition, in 450 BC. Hippocrates thought that the spasms associated with asthma were more likely to occur in tailors, anglers, and metalworkers. Six centuries later, Galen wrote much about asthma, noting that it was caused by partial or complete bronchial obstruction. In 1190 AD, Moses Maimonides, an influential medieval rabbi, philosopher, and physician, wrote a treatise on asthma, describing its prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. In the 17th century, Bernardino Ramazzini noted a connection between asthma and organic dust. The use of bronchodilators started in 1901, but it was not until the 1960s that the inflammatory component of asthma was recognized, and anti-inflammatory medications were added to the regimens.
Nothing like letting a bit of nonsensical romanticism get in the way of facts. Asthma, contrary to what you might think, has existed for ages.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
The Male

Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Is there room for compromise
Yes, there is. But things have gone a bit too far, IMO. What used to be "smoking/non smoking" is now "no smoking, period. GTFO."

The day "teenage smoking" became criteria for the MPAA's rating system is the day that this became a bit of a joke. Let people smoke in their cars, in bars, whatever. Just not elevators, restaurants...you know, places where people would actually complain about someone else smoking.

Now.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Yes, there is. But things have gone a bit too far, IMO. What used to be "smoking/non smoking" is now "no smoking, period. GTFO."
Well I agree, there are extremes on both sides, and the extremes are ridiculous.

Quote:

The day "teenage smoking" became criteria for the MPAA's rating system is the day that this became a bit of a joke. Let people smoke in their cars, in bars, whatever. Just not elevators, restaurants...you know, places where people would actually complain about someone else smoking.
Well the MPAA's ratings are just absurd. I live in a city where if more than 50% of your sales is food then you have to provide an entirely separate room for smoking, if you can't provide an entirely separate room and ventilation system than you cannot have a smoking section. I think this system has to be one of the fairest I've seen. This allows patrons and employees to make the decision if they want to breathe smoke or not...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:

Let people smoke in their cars, in bars, whatever. Just not elevators, restaurants...you know, places where people would actually complain about someone else smoking.
Why should people be able to smoke in bars?

If people want to smoke in their own homes or cars that's fine with me but not in public places, including bars.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #9
The Male

Quote:

Well the MPAA's ratings are just absurd. I live in a city where if more than 50% of your sales is food then you have to provide an entirely separate room for smoking, if you can't provide an entirely separate room and ventilation system than you cannot have a smoking section. I think this system has to be one of the fairest I've seen. This allows patrons and employees to make the decision if they want to breathe smoke or not...
Yep, sounds fair to me. I've heard similar, along the lines of "smoking allowed in bars that get 70% or greater of their income from alcoholic beverages". Many of the laws I've read about are there to protect minors specifically, including the California ban on smoking in a car with a minor present, so I think it's fair that there should be designated smoking areas in +18 bars and clubs.

Now.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:07 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The problem I see is that most of these "articles" posted by Iron Horse(and I use the quotes because this one was horribly written and lack any real purpose) completely damage their cause. Comparing it to Nazi Germany? Come on!!!

Like I said, I understand there are extremes on both sides. And both extremes bother me. Anyone who thinks they should be able to smoke anywhere at anytime and deny all evidence of second hand smoke is an idiot. Just like anyone trying to make someone purchase a license to smoke is an idiot.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 AM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Why should people be able to smoke in bars?

I understand this question and it's something I have conflicted thoughts about. A lot of the bars here in town are providing non-smoking sections, just by their own choice, for you are still legally allowed to smoke in bars here. But let's face it, bars are a choice, more so than restaurants. You have to eat, you don't have to drink. So because of that luxury factor, I believe the patrons and owners should be allowed a little more choice.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #12
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think saying bars are a choice compared to a restaurant because 'we have to eat' is quite a bad comparison. I would associate greater luxury with going to a restaurant....no one has to eat out, as much as no one has to have a drink.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Who's rights are more important than the other's

Smokers or non-smokers?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
They've been after us for years. It won't stop. These kind of people never stop. What feeds them is a inordinate amount of self righteous politically correctism. I wish they would answer me this on the smoking bans...Why is it that when I was a kid we were exposed to smoke constantly yet the cases of kids with asthma was almost non-existent, whereas today it seems if they don't have a horrible peanut allergy then they have asthma. Somethings going on and it has absolutley nothing to do with second hand smoke.
Asthma and COPD are a far too complex issue, and there are so many kinds of asthma, allergic and non-allergic, caused by a great variety of factors, and to deny (second hand) smoke is as nonsensical as to say it is the major cause. But it certainly is a cause.

Allergies, atopic dermatitis and asthma are also often caused by parents obsessed with hygiene and an increased use of antiseptics in households. Studies conducted in west and east Germany showed that the numbers of children affected by one or more of those conditions is much greater in the west than in the east, and the fact that children in the east were exposed to dirt etc. much more than in the west, where some parents literally tried to keep their children away from every piece of dirt, together with some other indicators and studies showed that the correlation between the exposition to dirt and allergies is quiet strong.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #15
She's the One

Quote:
A lot of the bars here in town are providing non-smoking sections, just by their own choice, for you are still legally allowed to smoke in bars here.
The employees who have to breathe in the addicts' smoke must be thrilled.