the McCain lobbyist scandal - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

anyway, for me, the issue is not sex, if there is any. the issue is his closeness to a particular lobbyist.

I agree. I could care less if it includes romantic involvement. It's the possibility of an utter inappropriate professional relationship with a lobbyist. Sure it happens in Washington all the time, but when McCain has built himself upon his integrity, this will hurt. IF true.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

So if I post information about Obama and lobbyists it will be an issue for you?

dude, what's the deal?

Old 02-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 PM
I have no candidate in this election

I will vote this November

I believe everyone should make an informed decision on the best qualified person

I am disappointed that a large portion of the electorate is going on “gut feeling”.

Who would I rather have a beer with?

The dancer that rents an apartment form me
or perhaps, you.

But, I don't think any of the three of us are qualified to be President.

Of the last seven presidents, and I can personally remember - having lived through their terms. Bill Clinton is by far the best and was the best for the country.

My strong preference is to have a President again like him.
Obama is far from that mark.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #19
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:44 PM
Quote:

So if I post information about Obama and lobbyists it will be an issue for you?

Seriously, deep, we get it. You don't like Obama. That you turn everything into a dig at him makes that quite clear. Could you, for once, y'know, not turn everything into a dig at him and just discuss the issue?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

It was put out there that if McCain has a relationship with lobbyists it is an issue.

It is not reasonable to ask if this issue should apply to other candidates?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #21
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
My strong preference is to have a President again like him.
Obama is far from that mark.
Could you elaborate on this? What were the qualities that made Bill such an effective president in your eyes? And which of those qualities is Obama lacking?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Could you elaborate on this? What were the qualities that made Bill such an effective president in your eyes? And which of those qualities is Obama lacking?
fair question

I will get back to it, later
Old 02-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

the Obama vs. Hillary question is easy for me.

i want to win. she will have a harder time in the general than he will. the Republican Part as we know it -- the uneasy marriage of rabid free-marketers and religious fundamentalists combined with pro-war national greatness sentimentalists -- is on the verge of total collapse due to the growing realization that the GWB presidency has been a near total disaster, and that he's possibly the greatest gift the left has been given at least in my lifetime. they have a candidate widely and loudly disliked by the "base" of the party.

the *only* person who can unite them is Hillary Clinton.

as for the lobbyists ... this isn't all that important an issue for me in general. what i was saying was the problem, here, in this specific situation, was not any sex but the closeness of one particular lobbyist and the so-called Maverick.

this does not bother me in a cosmic sense.

i know i won't be voting for McCain in November.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

I still fail to see from the article that there was anything inappropriate going on. Sexual or otherwise.

Like it or not, lobbyists represent corporations and groups of people and the congress has a responsibility to work for the common good for all, including the people lobbyists represent.

It does not matter who the candidate is, there will be contact on some level.

I fail to see a single thing in the article that demonstrates he used his position in her favor. Period.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

in my opinion, there's more to this story than the NYT has published. perhaps they are waiting for more confirmation.

it seems odd to me that they would publish something so explosive -- and something, you'll note, that has not been denied, no one has actually questioned the reporting -- that they sat on for so long, and obviously deliberated, without having something else up their sleeves.

and note that the McCain camp hasn't denied any of the specific charges in the piece.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's just a bunch of innuendo and anonymous sources signifying nothing. That's based upon what I have seen on the news about it, I haven't had time to read the article.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

It's a stretch. I wouldn't dismiss it entirely, but it's a stretch. My betting instincts would say the story dies.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

If they had the same set of alleged facts about Senator Obama or Senator Clinton would they have published it?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
If they had the same set of alleged facts about Senator Obama or Senator Clinton would they have published it?

i think so.

there's really no liberal bias here.

what we have is a bias towards getting the "scoop" -- being first, and being right, and breaking big stories. that sells newspapers, that gets website hits, that gets the pundits talking.

again, i can't help but think that there's more going on here. they sat on this story for a long time. and the McCain people have been worried about it for months, and they hired Bill Clinton's lawyer.

i think something's here. but it's all very weird.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
in my opinion, there's more to this story than the NYT has published. perhaps they are waiting for more confirmation.

it seems odd to me that they would publish something so explosive -- and something, you'll note, that has not been denied, no one has actually questioned the reporting -- that they sat on for so long, and obviously deliberated, without having something else up their sleeves.

and note that the McCain camp hasn't denied any of the specific charges in the piece.
Yeah I too feel there has to be more to this. It's all very weird that it gets printed now. I mean others knew about this, yet both sides are being pretty vague about it. McCain talked about it today and it was almost as if he was more concerned that it was former aides than the actual story. I also think his wife speaking up for him was a bad move, that's usually a bad sign when that happens, it was almost pre-imptive because there wasn't any real alledged sex, just inappropriate relationship that could have resulted in favoring this lobbyist.

I almost wonder if it was printed in order to encourage someone to step up that has been reluctant...