The Incandescent Lightbulb - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:45 PM
The Incandescent Lightbulb

So this week in the United States a Republican president signs a bill that will ban the incandescent lightbulb.

Hardly anyone protested.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/..._the_bulb.html

Old 12-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Oh dear. We will now be plunged into the deepest of darkness without the incandescent light bulb. Horrors.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Press Releases

Outlaw light bulbs and only outlaws will have light bulbs

Washington, D.C. - Among the regulations packed into the newest energy bill that just passed Congress this week, a ban on the incandescent light bulb will officially end what Edison started 130 years ago. "If you outlaw light bulbs, then only outlaws will have light bulbs," says Libertarian Party Executive Director Shane Cory.

"The ban on incandescent light bulbs may seem almost comical," says Cory, "but it raises several red flags on the level of government intrusion in people's lives. From the toilets in your bathroom to the lights in your ceiling, there are very few consumer products free from some form of government regulation. I seriously doubt regulating light bulbs was intended to be a necessary-and-proper role of the federal government."

Incandescent light bulbs will begin to be phased out in 2012, with a complete ban finalized in 2014. Manufacturers will be forced to switch to compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, which can cost more than six times as much as the common incandescent bulb. While CFL bulbs are much more energy efficient, to maintain the bulb's longevity and achieve maximum efficiency, consumers must adhere to proper operating suggestions made by Congress, such as leaving the bulb turned on for at least 15 minutes.

"Not only do consumers have to alter how they use light in their houses, they must also take a number of precautions with CFL bulbs that were unnecessary when using incandescent bulbs," says Libertarian Party Media Coordinator Andrew Davis. "Because of the toxic levels of mercury in CFL bulbs, consumers will need to check with their waste management providers for proper disposal methods, and consumers will also have to research how to clean up broken bulbs. These bulbs may save energy in the long run, but at a great inconvenience to the consumer."

The Libertarian Party believes in free market solutions to environmental problems, and vehemently opposes government regulation that interferes with private business and personal liberty. The Libertarian Party also maintains that solutions cannot come from America's biggest polluter: the federal government.

"How many Americans does it take to change a light bulb?" Davis asks jokingly. "I guess we'll have to wait for next year's energy bill to find out."

The Libertarian Party is America's third largest political party, founded in 1971 as an alternative to the two main political parties. You can find more information on the Libertarian Party by visiting www.lp.org. The Libertarian Party proudly stands for smaller government, lower taxes and more freedom.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
She's the One

Local Time: 03:45 PM
I incandescent light. I find fluorescent light too harsh, too blinky, and too hard to read by. But nobody reads anymore, so what do they care.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

This is really silly, particularly since the new bulbs work in the exact same sockets. And, sure, they cost a little more right now, but they do last considerably longer, in addition to using less energy. However, when this law is enacted, "economies of scale" will kick in and make them cheaper--just like HDTVs, which, by the way, are increasingly necessary, considering analog TV will cease to transmit in 2009. I'm guessing our resident "libertarians" didn't bitch about that, due to the money to be made on the spectrum being vacated.

While I have had increasing libertarian tendencies over the last year, I get the sense that most self-described libertarians, at least in the U.S., are lunatics.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I incandescent light. I find fluorescent light too harsh, too blinky, and too hard to read by. But nobody reads anymore, so what do they care.
The compact fluorescents did bother me at first when I would read, but once I got used to them I was fine. I've used compact fluorescents for the vast majority of my lighting for a decade or more. Some brands do have better looking light than others though so it's a good idea to buy a few different ones and see which work better for you.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The newer CFLs are better - they have full spectrum ones as well. LED lamps will also be a good alternative as they become cheaper. I don't think the bill went far enough in terms of energy conservation. California also was not allowed to reduce emissions faster, because industry was against it.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
She's the One

This all makes me fell better. I have four years left to adjust.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

LEDs > CFLs > incandescent bulbs > candles > flourescent lights
Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
Press Releases

consumers must adhere to proper operating suggestions made by Congress, such as leaving the bulb turned on for at least 15 minutes.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't spend 15 minutes in the toilet and would be slightly worried about anyone that did.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Re: The Incandescent Lightbulb

Quote:
Hardly anyone protested.
Why should they?

Quote:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/..._the_bulb.html
Wow, that article is horrible. So many "facts" wrong.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
LEDs > CFLs > incandescent bulbs > candles > flourescent lights
Yes, but those Christmas LED lights are heinous. There is a house out here decked out in blue and purple and what an eyesore!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
She's the One

Old-fashioned opaque C9 bulbs on our house.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:36 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
When did you checked ? 10 years ago ? i have several ( from yellow to pink shinning haze )
Old 12-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
When did you checked ? 10 years ago ? i have several ( from yellow to pink shinning haze )
Yes, the color is an issue of color temperature, not a technological limitation. The CFLs in my house are at the same color as the previous light bulbs we had.