The Gay Thread - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-29-2015, 03:30 AM   #886
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Boycott Indiana
It's starting to work


http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...328-story.html
__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #887
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,407
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ledzeppelins View Post
What really bugs me about all this homophobia going on is that there is no reason to even believe that being gay is wrong. The Bible actually doesn't say a word about it being a sin. Just look here.



“If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense." - Leviticus 20:13

Regardless of what some aesthetically offensive website says, the Bible makes it quite clear that homosexuality is a sin. Don't know where people get the idea that this verse doesn't mean exactly what it says.
__________________

__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #888
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 11:14 AM
What translation is that? It's pretty piss poor, and it actually goes against your point. It clearly calls it a capital offense, which would make it man's law, not God's.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #889
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post


“If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense." - Leviticus 20:13

Regardless of what some aesthetically offensive website says, the Bible makes it quite clear that homosexuality is a sin. Don't know where people get the idea that this verse doesn't mean exactly what it says.
it doesn't state homosexuality actually, it says something about lying both with women and men. So one could interpret it as claiming you should not sleep with both at the same time. That sleeping with someone of the same gender while in a heterosexual relationship is still cheating.

It's all down to interpretation. NOWHERE does it state literally that homosexuality is wrong or a sin. Nowhere.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #890
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,480
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
it doesn't state homosexuality actually, it says something about lying both with women and men. So one could interpret it as claiming you should not sleep with both at the same time. That sleeping with someone of the same gender while in a heterosexual relationship is still cheating.
.
So basically one can interpret the Bible as saying the only thing to avoid is a menage-a-trois. Bible is no fun.
__________________
Hewson is online now  
Old 03-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #891
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
What translation is that? It's pretty piss poor, and it actually goes against your point. It clearly calls it a capital offense, which would make it man's law, not God's.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Leviticus is the book of God's law, though, I believe.

But, I'm not sure, nor do I care to continue to hear it quoted, as those are the laws Jesus came to fulfill>circular argument over interpretation.

I'm much more upset about the fact that my brother just called my crying because half of the church walked out today, and he doesn't want to see his family fighting like this (nearly everyone at that church is either one of my aunts, uncles or cousins). I didn't really have an answer for him, either, except to tell him that sometimes you have to keep family separate from things like this if you want to stay family.

But yeah, basically disagreement over this stupid, asinine law is literally driving my family apart, and it's really stressing me out / upsetting to no end.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #892
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 09:14 AM
What I can't understand, as a non-Christian, is the focus on one line that addresses non-voluntary behavior, as opposed to the voluntary behavior of lying and cheating that Jesus specifically addresses, several times I think.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #893
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Leviticus is the book of God's law, though, I believe.

But, I'm not sure, nor do I care to continue to hear it quoted, as those are the laws Jesus came to fulfill>circular argument over interpretation.

I'm much more upset about the fact that my brother just called my crying because half of the church walked out today, and he doesn't want to see his family fighting like this (nearly everyone at that church is either one of my aunts, uncles or cousins). I didn't really have an answer for him, either, except to tell him that sometimes you have to keep family separate from things like this if you want to stay family.

But yeah, basically disagreement over this stupid, asinine law is literally driving my family apart, and it's really stressing me out / upsetting to no end.

Sorry to hear about your family.

My point was about the interpretation, using the term "capital offense' defines it as the government and not God's law. It was a really horrible translation, using terms like homosexuality and capital offense, terms that didn't exist back then distort and change the meaning. It would be like substituting car for horse or injecting the internet somehow into the Bible.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #894
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
So basically one can interpret the Bible as saying the only thing to avoid is a menage-a-trois. Bible is no fun.
Unless there's a threesome with two women. That's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Leviticus is the book of God's law, though, I believe.

But, I'm not sure, nor do I care to continue to hear it quoted, as those are the laws Jesus came to fulfill>circular argument over interpretation.

I'm much more upset about the fact that my brother just called my crying because half of the church walked out today, and he doesn't want to see his family fighting like this (nearly everyone at that church is either one of my aunts, uncles or cousins). I didn't really have an answer for him, either, except to tell him that sometimes you have to keep family separate from things like this if you want to stay family.

But yeah, basically disagreement over this stupid, asinine law is literally driving my family apart, and it's really stressing me out / upsetting to no end.
That sucks. It's so sad how a stupid law can wreck a family like this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #895
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
#boycottindiana
Quote:
#boycottindiana
Quote:
#boycottindiana
Quote:
#boycottindiana



Religious freedom law sparks outrage as #boycottindiana trends worldwide
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #896
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,288
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm much more upset about the fact that my brother just called my crying because half of the church walked out today, and he doesn't want to see his family fighting like this (nearly everyone at that church is either one of my aunts, uncles or cousins). I didn't really have an answer for him, either, except to tell him that sometimes you have to keep family separate from things like this if you want to stay family.

But yeah, basically disagreement over this stupid, asinine law is literally driving my family apart, and it's really stressing me out / upsetting to no end.
That's a really sad story.

I also just fundamentally don't understand it. Maybe if the people fighting could just step back and attempt to gain some perspective in life they would see how little importance this has overall. Given the sort of unspeakable violence and disparity of equality in our world, I am astounded that this would rise to the level of tearing a family apart.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #897
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:14 AM
I find the divide a good thing, one side is moving away from bad thinking
the fundamentalists groups that are not divided are more dangerous
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #898
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,664
Local Time: 01:14 PM
Imagine if we lived in a world where every one of us was treated equally, and we all worried about solving issues that really mattered, how better off we'd all be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
What I can't understand, as a non-Christian, is the focus on one line that addresses non-voluntary behavior, as opposed to the voluntary behavior of lying and cheating that Jesus specifically addresses, several times I think.
Leviticus also mentions tattoos and shellfish, among others, but people conveniently forget about that.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #899
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 06:14 PM
It truly is a shame how many centuries the human race wastes on hating each other, other religions, other human beings... while if we all worked together our planet wouldn't be going to shits and our people would live on for much longer, rather than us writing our own death sentence.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #900
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,480
Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Unless there's a threesome with two women. That's fine.



.
Good to know, I may have to start going to church again.
__________________

__________________
Hewson is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com