The Fear: Why This Little Liberal Is Becoming a Hawk - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 02-14-2003, 10:29 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Gosh, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for mothers to be running the country. They seem to have a bit more sense than some of the people in Washington.

Old 02-14-2003, 12:21 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:41 AM
I'm scared of an attack too (as I'm sure everyone knows!!). Working in the Capitol complex is not exactly the safest place on earth right now and I've have nightmares about an attack since September 11th. It's not very reassuring when my boss, who is briefed on all of this, says that where we work is under a direct threat and that it's not a matter of if but when we are attacked. My best friend and my fiance's family live in London, so I'm worried for them too.

At the same time, though, I am COMPLETELY against a war on Iraq, especially without UN backing. I'm still not convinced that Saddam has ties to Al Qaeda or that I am threatened by him. I think he's a HORRIBLE person and should be ousted, but I think war is just going to cause more problems and would drive him to arm terrorists and kill even more of his own people. I think the way we're handling this is just creating more problems, and will just lead to an increase in the number of fundamentalist Muslims who think we're trying to kill off all Arabs and establish an entirely Jewish Middle East. If we go to war, I only see these kinds of threats getting worse. I think war is what Bin Laden wants, and Al Qaeda knows that by increasing threats, America will be more likely to attack Iraq.

Old 02-14-2003, 09:58 PM   #18
Local Time: 08:41 AM
Re: The Fear: Why This Little Liberal Is Becoming a Hawk

Originally posted by paxetaurora
Righters and lefters unite to tell me if I'm crazy or not. I'm a pretty peaceful person and tend against war. But I can feel my pacifism ebbing away from me and am no longer convinced that such a war would be unjust. Is anyone else undergoing similar transformations? Am I being brainwashed by the media...or is it something else, a fear that dare not speak its name (if you will)?
paxetaurora, Im sorry youre feeling that way, it must be tough, I know. But please I ask you to reconsider and dont give up on being a pacifist. War is not the answer, never was, never will be. That is one of the certainties I have in life.