The Case Against Homework? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #91
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:22 AM
I bought my house one year after my wife and I were hired as teachers.

We could never pull it off today.

Like many people working outside of education, the cost of living has exceeded the raises people deserve, no matter what the profession.

Teachers constantly demanding raises? Teachers settle on contracts that run over three year periods. The nature of contractual negotiations would lead one to believe they are constantly seeking more money.

Teachers are seeking to survive, like anyone else. They are looking for compensasion for the job they do. During the school year, most teachers are working hours before school begins and hours after their day has "ended". people throw the time off in their faces, but I can assure you that it is necessary for recharging of the batteries.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:32 AM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I bought my house one year after my wife and I were hired as teachers.

We could never pull it off today.

Like many people working outside of education, the cost of living has exceeded the raises people deserve, no matter what the profession.

Teachers constantly demanding raises? Teachers settle on contracts that run over three year periods. The nature of contractual negotiations would lead one to believe they are constantly seeking more money.

Teachers are seeking to survive, like anyone else. They are looking for compensasion for the job they do. During the school year, most teachers are working hours before school begins and hours after their day has "ended". people throw the time off in their faces, but I can assure you that it is necessary for recharging of the batteries.
Hey, Dreadsox! Welcome to the discussion. For awhile I was afraid it was going to be just me and Yolland.

Just so we're clear, I agree with you 100%.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Why do you suppose this assumption exists? (i.e. about elem/high school teachers)
Things like this have been said to me, face to face. I have friends who honestly believe I don't work hard. I actually had a "friend" say to me, "Well people who go into education aren't smart enough to do anything else."

Regarding salary and sexism in the field of education. . .Last summer I bought a townhouse. I had 2 separate mortgage companies say the same thing to me. One was a man, one was a woman. They asked what I did for a living and I told them I teach high school. The reply I heard was, "Oh, that will be a nice supplemental income someday." Needless to say, I did not use either company.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
During the school year, most teachers are working hours before school begins and hours after their day has "ended". people throw the time off in their faces, but I can assure you that it is necessary for recharging of the batteries.
To be fair so do tons of other people who only get 2 weeks off a year. I know plenty who are working 60 hour weeks, 50 weeks per year, and I'm sure they could recharge as well.

As for why teachers don't get any respect, I think it is related to this perception that "smarter" kids would have gone on to do a more prestigious program rather than go into teaching. And I think that's BS on one hand, on the other I won't even tell you how many people I knew who applied to the 1 year teaching program at the same time as they were applying for medicine, law, pharmacy, whatever else as back-up plans. They figured if nothing else, they'll become teachers. Out of everyone who I know that went on to get a BEd, a very small minority went there because it was their first choice and they always wanted to teach. Most of the others ended up there because they had no idea what they wanted to do, or they figured it was better than just your plain old BA, or they didn't get into whatever other program they wanted to do. Obviously this is anecdotal evidence, but it does further the perception.

My brother was born to be a teacher and I think he'll be great at it. He chose it over more lucrative fields. But if you ask him about his peers, you'll get countless stories of "well, I didn't get into ___...." and that's sort of sad.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

To be fair so do tons of other people who only get 2 weeks off a year. I know plenty who are working 60 hour weeks, 50 weeks per year, and I'm sure they could recharge as well.

Would they be willing to take a pay cut to do so?

Teachers' time off is unpaid.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

to be fair...I am done.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

And yet, every prospective teacher knows this going into the profession. This isn't exactly a new and unexpected change in terms.

Melon
Old 09-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

I've never felt that teaching is less prestigious a profession than anything else. Like I said in the other thread, I can't remember ever having a teacher or professor I honestly felt was not fit for his or her job.

Phil is going back to school for special ed and I know it's not a cop-out. I've seen him with kids and he was born to teach, especially with kids that have autism and downs syndrome.

As for teachers' salaries, yes, they get summers off, but most of the teachers I know work a different full time job in the summer. All of my male high school teachers started their own paint crew. The ones that did not work during the summer almost always had spouses who were also working 40+ hours at a higher salary (mainly nurses). These are private school teachers who make about $25,000/yr and most are probably qualified to teach in colleges and universities, but they stick with K-12 and the shitty salary because they love teaching. I find it very honorable that they would do this and not complain about it or even complain about having to moonlight and/or work another full time job during the summer.

Kudos to educators!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Not always true.

My mother gets 100% of her salary during the summer as a teacher in a school board in Ontario (just outside of Toronto). They get it in 2 large installments.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Not always true.

My mother gets 100% of her salary during the summer as a teacher in a school board in Ontario (just outside of Toronto). They get it in 2 large installments.
Here in the states that is an OPTION. You defer your salary to the summer. It is not considered PAID time because you work iunder contract for a specific number of days.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I never realized this until last week. I had a second-round interview for a job at a local school. I'm not a teacher, but they said it would be the same pay scale. She said it was the entry teacher's salary, plus a little more because I'd have to put in summer hours at the end of August. I never knew that the salaries DID take into account the time off during the summer. I felt kind of guilty that I'd be paid more than a teacher, even if I would have to put in three additional weeks. Just another reason to appreciate teachers!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Phil is going back to school for special ed and I know it's not a cop-out. I've seen him with kids and he was born to teach, especially with kids that have autism and downs syndrome.

The autism issue is becoming huge. More and more children are falling into the spectrum. Kudos to him. We need educators who are willing to work with these children. Many can be mainstreamed into the classroom if you can get a good team of people working together.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Well that may be the case, but it is not here. The salary is not deferred, they are paid over the summer time. If you elect to teach summer school, you get more $$.

In her school board, once you have 12 years of experience + an MA or MEd in your field + a specialization (requires you to complete 3 courses), you earn $82K/year.

That is an incredibly well paid position compared to many other people I know. Some teachers are poorly paid but in other areas they are very, VERY well compensated.

You find me another profession which pays $82K annually here in Ontario and whose workers get about 10 weeks of vacation per year, not to mention the extremely generous pension plan and excellent governmental benefits. There is no other such profession here.

I am not saying that a $25K/year salary is a myth. But it is by no means standard across the board and across the world either.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

Most teachers do not get paid to set up their classrooms. They enter the school a week to two weeks early to prepare for the children coming in. UNPAID. Rainy days in August are the target days to get ready.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #105
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
$82K/year.
There is not a single teacher in any of the surrounding towns making anywhere near 82K a year.

That is the starting salary of a principal working almost full year.