The Case Against Homework? - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #166
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


1. When everyone who wasn't a teacher decided that US schools were "dumbing down" the curriculum.

and then

2. When the President and the idiots in Congress decided to link a district's measure of success to students' performance on standardized testing, requiring that every single student no matter what demonstrate proficiency.

and then

3. the movement is now to link teacher salaries to student performance on these same standardized tests, bypassing contracts between teacher and school districts.

You think it's ridiculous now? Wait until your child's teacher has her salary directly linked to your child's performance on the standartized test.

__________________

__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 PM   #167
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 04:24 AM
standardized

standardized

dumb old Bruce keeping me up too late


__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 09:20 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


1. When everyone who wasn't a teacher decided that US schools were "dumbing down" the curriculum.

and then

2. When the President and the idiots in Congress decided to link a district's measure of success to students' performance on standardized testing, requiring that every single student no matter what demonstrate proficiency.

and then

3. the movement is now to link teacher salaries to student performance on these same standardized tests, bypassing contracts between teacher and school districts.

You think it's ridiculous now? Wait until your child's teacher has her salary directly linked to your child's performance on the standartized test.
Exactly. My mom's an elementary school teacher, so I've heard many rants from her about No Child Left Behind, which is the most ridiculous education law passed. Standardized tests are a joke to begin with; I'm personally very good at test taking, but there are a lot of kids who are very bright, good students, etc., but just not great test takers. Combine that with the fact that kids are told: "You can't move on in school unless you pass this test," and you end up with kids who are too uptight to actually focus on the test.

What I find the most saddening about this new phenomenon of using standardized tests as a measure of kids' intelligence is that teachers can't adjust their curriculum to focus more time on a unit students find interesting because they have to cram so much in for the tests.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 09:25 PM   #169
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife
I'm personally very good at test taking, but there are a lot of kids who are very bright, good students, etc., but just not great test takers.
. Maybe that was my problem sometimes, then? There were times when I'd do the homework for a math class, and it seemed to all click then, but for some reason, when the test rolled around, it just didn't seem to go over well that day.

I think it also didn't help me that some of those math tests were timed ones. I really hated it then, I always was more concerned about finishing the whole test in time than I was trying to figure out the problem (I cannot solve math problems, unless they're extremely simple ones, in my head within 5 seconds. My dad can, and I really envy him for that ability).

Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife
What I find the most saddening about this new phenomenon of using standardized tests as a measure of kids' intelligence is that teachers can't adjust their curriculum to focus more time on a unit students find interesting because they have to cram so much in for the tests.
Bingo. Exactly .

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 PM   #170
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 07:24 AM
My math teacher, who seems to be incredibly ignorant, innocently asked as Monday, "Why do you guys worry so much about grades? Why don't you care more about learning things?"

While it's not her fault, it's an incredibly stupid question.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 09:42 PM   #171
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


I do think this factors in. The Americans lag behind a lot of the rest of the world in most subjects and a glance at top graduate schools in the US will point that out as well. Same problem in Canada, actually.

The math we're learning in 8th grade, the Japanese probably did in 5th. That's the reality we're faced with.
Good thing that their not having enough kids.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com