The Athiest thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol:
true that. that points out a mis-writing in that sentence. please minus the 'not' in my previous reply :D i hate editing so i wont. you all just have to work it out lol
"if you are a yank.."

ok, my spleen and i are leaving this thread now.
:D

This is sidetracking but I feel like talking so you will all cop it.

*starts longwinded story here*

I befriended Dalkey Beach. I thought he was a nice bloke. Polite, charming, yes, a nice internet friend he was.

I thought. Until he turned into "Edge". I was a bit annoyed but thought, ok, Edge, this is odd but fun.

Twas all a lie.

In the final death throws of that saga I became quite bitter. I wrote a poem about my disillusionment (sp?) and posted it to another U2 site. Not a very good poem. The only thing going for it really was that it rhymed but writing, and posting it, did calm my nerves.

Anyhow, not long after I posted, I received an email from a Christian band wanting to set my poem to music. I was both horrified and flattered. For many reasons. I didn't mention to the Christian musician that I was atheist (nor what the poem was about). I figured if hes getting something out of my pain then something good came of all that fake Edge crap.

My point - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The writers intentions are not always the same as what the listeners interprets.

And as long as everyones enjoying themselves, who cares.

/end of irrelevance

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
Well isn't this just fucking hilarious.
Agnostics beliefs are inane.
People who like U2 and are athiest are hypocrites.

Fucking hilarious.

And they say Christians are persecuted and offended too often. My arse. Talk a mile long walk in someone else's shoes.

Or 1.6 kms if you're not a yank.

:angry:

Angela, I'm asuming the "agnostics beliefs are inane" comment was directed toward me. Just to clear things up here; My comments were not directed toward an agnostic, but someone who said they believed in God. My point was simply that it seems to me that to say that you believe in God and then not to find out who or what that god is, seems lacking in any real meaning. It was not intended to be disrespectful, and I think it is patently obvious to a fair observer that I have shown only respect to those with a contrary position to mine.

I've also just defended the right of atheist U2 fans to post here in my last message. So please don't lump me in with the insensitive remarks of someone else claiming to be a christian.

It was directed at you to give context, do you believe that Islam is a faith from God - I most certainly do not and my reasoning is no different than that of why I dont believe in Jesus.

A_Wanderer said:
It was directed at you to give context, do you believe that Islam is a faith from God - I most certainly do not and my reasoning is no different than that of why I dont believe in Jesus.

But how could your reasoning be the same- you are talking about 2 completely different things. Before you gave me some well reasoned arguements for why you don't accept Jesus' claims to divintity, to which I answered and tried to explain to you how I come to a different conclussion (incidently you haven't really replied to this:wink: ).

The only real things that islam has in common with chrisitianity is the concept of monotheism and some claims to the judeo historical narative. Mohammed claimed he was a new prophet with a new/different message. Islamic religion has the seven pillars as it's core belief system- it has no claim to a divine physical intervention into history, and therefore no falsifiable test. Most unlike Christianity as I've said.

Unless you are saying that you just choose not to accept anything that has a belief God, even if there is proof. And I guess it is redundent to say so now, but no I don't believe Islam is a faith from God.

Sorry. Really. I was very hot and tired and annoyed and had the remains of a huge headache when I wrote that. I shouldn't have sounded as I did. I dont think it really bothered me as much as it sounded, and you certainly didn't cause it.

But...I am one of those who believe in *a* god, and I guess I am struggling to understand how it can be viewed as only making half the journey. I know this might not be what you are implying, but from your post above and the one wher you addressed the other person (I cant recall who it was now) it seemed as though you are wanting to know how it works as it seems to you to lack meaning? You've been nothing but polite, and I dont mean to criticise you at all, but something about that is irking me, and only slightly, so the response you quoted, of me, was out of line and I do apologise. Still, I've no doubt you do respect those with other views, and my thinking that to say there is a lack of meaning in views such as mine or the other person's is not so much respectful is nothing more than a differing of opinion. Am I going in circles again? Hey, its after 11pm! On time and all I am :D

So anyway. Time for a quick ramble as my pepsi max kicks in :wink: lucky you lot eh!
Overall I think many religious views are based so much on faith and belief, its a much more nontangible process in getting to where you are. I look at folk like beli and A_W and reckon there's has been a much more clinical process of elimination. And each has one similarity. Neither has been based on anything we know for sure. This is where I'm really not so disimilar, as an 'agnostic'. I am never going to be willing to believe the words of a book so old and so frequently interpreted that there are bound to be errors, and build up a faith on such a thing. The stories of Jesus and all those people is such folklore, even my mother and grandmother can tell me the same story about something from 30 years ago and both will have it slightly differently. 2000 years is a long time for changes. And it still remains just a book. Add onto that the numerous issues I have with the larger organised religions with hypocrisy, lack of love and compassion, cruelty, judgement, condemnation, lack of respect, hardarse blindedness and ignorance...No thanks. Over my godless little dead body if need be. I dont want a bar of it.

So as much as I can not join it, can I deny it either? Not really. I see something very phenomenal in this life, in everything around me. It is totally beyond mine or anyone's understanding that all this life can exist without some far more greater force having had it all happen. It might look like not completing the journey, but honestly, where would I go to find answers? I dont think they exist here on earth for us peons to know. Billions of people have passed threough this life so far and not one has ever found answers. I think the search for truth is fruitless. I believe whatever answers we might get will be waiting once this life has passed us.

The god I believe in might be the same god you do. Who knows. Certainly neither of us. But I cant forgo what bothers me, in the name of religion, for something which I dont feel is entirely necessary to do the *right* thing. Why must there be an already established religion to accompany my views? Can't I just cut out the middle man whom I've lost any chance of ever respecting? If the church changed so much that it became exactly what it boasts it is, then we can talk. I'll sign up, definitely. Well maybe. I dont know if I can believe that far, but this is moot as it probably wont happen.

I hope this has explained it a bit more.

very true angela. established religions have very little to offer, they serve better as a reason to divide us and make us hate each other. now who needs that :eyebrow:

Angela Harlem said:
Sorry. Really. I was very hot and tired and annoyed and had the remains of a huge headache when I wrote that. I shouldn't have sounded as I did. I dont think it really bothered me as much as it sounded, and you certainly didn't cause it.I dont mean to criticise you at all, but something about that is irking me, and only slightly, so the response you quoted, of me, was out of line and I do apologise.

Hi Angela. Thanks heaps for your post! Apology accepted, and I know exactly what you mean about when it gets late- I should really be in bed now :wink:

But...I am one of those who believe in *a* god, and I guess I am struggling to understand how it can be viewed as only making half the journey. I know this might not be what you are implying, but from your post above and the one wher you addressed the other person (I cant recall who it was now) it seemed as though you are wanting to know how it works as it seems to you to lack meaning?

I am never going to be willing to believe the words of a book so old and so frequently interpreted that there are bound to be errors, and build up a faith on such a thing. The stories of Jesus and all those people is such folklore, even my mother and grandmother can tell me the same story about something from 30 years ago and both will have it slightly differently. 2000 years is a long time for changes. And it still remains just a book.

I really get where you're coming from I think. I used to think the Bible was probably mainly a collection of fairy tales or full of inconsistancies or errors. That is until I actually researched it for myself. In case you didn't see my post from before where I tried to explain this in a logical fashion here it is:

We'll the whole of Christian spirituality stands or falls on one particular historical event. Or more specifically on one particular person - Jesus. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that our evidence for Jesus is contained for the most part within the bible. Although not just within the bible, there are many extra-biblical accounts of the life, teaching and actions of this remarkable man. But there are a number of objections people tend to make about the bible, many of them before even having read it, let alone studied it's reliability.

Firstly people assume the message has been lost in the translation. The fact is that most bibles available today are taken directly from the original languages- Hebrew, Aramaic and Ancient Greek. Our knowledge of these languages is getting more and more precise which means that translations are actually getting more acurate.

The next objection some people raise is that it's been changed. In this arguement people claim that the scribes who copied and passed on the ancient bible documents decided to change the stories to suit themselves. But again this is just hopelessly ignorant. We have in our possesion hundreds of ancient copies of the gospel of mark (for example) found in many different places all over the ancient world. If it had been deliberately embelished there would be an abundance of ways to demonstrate this- I mean it's not like the Athenian scribe could fax his chnages through to his mates in Jerusalem, Rome and Corinth and get them to make the changes too. Of course there is also the issue of motive- scribes believed they were dealing with God's word- something sacred.

Others argue it contains accidental mistakes. The fact is mistakes were made, here's an example:
"They (Jesus and his disciples) went across the lake to the region of the Gerasenes." (Mark 5:1) So what? The problem is, the various ancient copies (remember we've found heaps) differ on the spelling of this region. Some have it "Gardarenes" others "Gergesenes". Obviously some scribe somewhere stuffed up. As a result scholars now have to sift through the many ancient copies and work out which is the most likely spelling. Of course this is not the only 'mistake' in the ancient copies of the Bible but the others are only about as life-changing as this one.

I'm sorry if I am going over stuff you are already aware of but the reason for this brief biblical examination is so we can get to the crux of the issue. Sure you may say, the bible is a reliable account, but it's an account of some religious wackos who were trying to pass off a bunch of crap about a guy they decided to make a messiah. Maybe the bible is just a well preserved lie.

The first thing to remember is that the gospels are based on eye-witness accounts, two of them were written by men who personally knew or interviewed eye witnesses, the other two were men who travelled and worked with Jesus for over 3 years. The second thing to remember is many of the eye witnesses were either imprisoned or executed for proclaiming what they'd seen.

What caused these people to really believe they'd seen Jesus teach, heal, die and then rise again? There were hundreds who saw Jesus after the resurrection, many had been with him for over three years. Could it have been that they were all just seeing a very extended optical illusion? If they had simply made the whole thing up, why did they bother dying for a lie? It certainly wasn't for power, prestige or wealth- they were often despised and destitute. Even those who wern't killed for their claims, still had to endure family ridicule, loss of jobs and much persecution.

The authorities had every reason to want to discredit this zealous jewish sect (as they would have viewed it)- it posed a threat to their authority because Jesus had made claims about his deity and authority and this movement of early christians was making it's presence felt. Jesus' resurrection was falsifiable in that all the critics had to do was produce the body, but they did not. 

The bible is the most remarkable book in history. It has no real comparison. We have more fragments and whole ancient copies (and older copies) than any other historical document. And when I say more- let me give you a comparison. For the New Testament, there are over 24,000 handwritten copies or portions thereof from antiquity now in existance. This is far more than other ancient books. For example, the second most available ancient manuscripts are from Homer's Iliad, for which there are 643 manuscript copies, while most ancient documents have fewer than 25 existing copies.

The time interval between the actual events , the date of writing, and the earliest known manuscript copy is also important. For the Bible, manuscript copies or portions exist that were written within 35 to 160 years after the originals. Recent dating of one manuscript of a portion of the Gospel of Matthew (the so-called Magdalen text) suggests that it was written in about A.D. 50-a mere 17 years after the crucifixion of Christ.

The interval between the historical events and the written evidence is far better for the New Testament than any other ancient manuscript. For example, the first account of Buddha's life was written 700 years after his death. The earliest copy of Caesar's works is 950 years after being written, and the earliest available copy of Plato's works is dated 1250 years after the original. Yet we do not question the authority of these other works!

Even more impressive is the degree of textual variance in existing copies. Considering the enormous number of ancient New Testament manuscripts, there are only nominal differences in the various copies. The data for the New Testament is impressive. Only 40 lines, or one fifth of one per cent are in question. This compares to large textual variances in other ancient writings. For example, the New Testament is 25 times more accurately copied than the Iliad, which was also "sacred" and is considered one of the best copied works of antiquity.

Hope I'm not boring you, but I'm just trying to back up my claims with substance not just feelings. And you've mentioned your concept of the bible is one of your reasons for not accepting christian belief.

Add onto that the numerous issues I have with the larger organised religions with hypocrisy, lack of love and compassion, cruelty, judgement, condemnation, lack of respect, hardarse blindedness and ignorance...No thanks. Over my godless little dead body if need be. I dont want a bar of it.

:wave: I'm with you on much of this. I reckon there's way too much of all this crap and more going on in churches. Problem is churches are filled with guess who- people like you and me. And unfortunately we're all capable of this kinda stuff. That's really one of the things the christian message addresses- what we can do about it all. It certainly doesn't mean christians have all these things conquered. Not that this excuses these behaviours. Fortunately I have found some real gems of christians too- people who really have demonstrated that God has made a difference in their lives.

I'd encourage you not to reject the message becuase the messengers mess up? Check it out on your own terms, then if you do decide to reject it, at least it is not some poor misrepresntation.

So as much as I can not join it, can I deny it either? Not really. I see something very phenomenal in this life, in everything around me. It is totally beyond mine or anyone's understanding that all this life can exist without some far more greater force having had it all happen. It might look like not completing the journey, but honestly, where would I go to find answers?

That's what I see when I look at the world too. I hope pointed toward some way you can look for answers. I believe people have found answers to these questions, I know I have.

The god I believe in might be the same god you do. Who knows. Certainly neither of us. But I cant forgo what bothers me, in the name of religion, for something which I dont feel is entirely necessary to do the *right* thing. Why must there be an already established religion to accompany my views? Can't I just cut out the middle man whom I've lost any chance of ever respecting? If the church changed so much that it became exactly what it boasts it is, then we can talk. I'll sign up, definitely. Well maybe. I dont know if I can believe that far, but this is moot as it probably wont happen.

I don't believe you need organised religion to examine these things. But there is enough evidence around to seek out the truth about the Bible/Jesus. Jesus never sought to start an organised religion, only the church. His intention for the church was to be a family/support. There are positive expressions of the church out there. It doesn't have to look a certain way or do things a certain way, or meet in a funny looking building- church for some is just a group of friends who share their faith. In fact I think this is also U2's idea of church. So maybe there is hope for you yet!

oh and also, notaneasything, id probably pass out if i didnt say this.. who says those three books give us the real answers? for all i know they were written hundreds years ago. especially bible, it was decided by an election between the cardinals for gods sake! i think religions are a very good way to manipulate people into the dominant beliefs on morals, right or wrong and so. they are by no means a road map to the truth. id say we will not find the truth till the day we die, but believing should do it until then. i believe in a god, i just think the books he supposedly put out are full of wrongs and mistake, therefore inherently not his. would god make any mistakes, you think?

also i dont understand why islam is any less legitimate than christianity. they are both pretty dubious, especially considering the holy bible was not the original one, just another one of the hundreds of copies. the 1 copy cardinals of the time liked the most.

another thing.. why do men and women of religion have to be celibates? it doesnt make sense.. having a child, creation of another being is one of the holiest things i can think of. and god forbids his most loyal followers to do this? doesnt make sense. 'devotion to god' argument is inherently flawed, since if it is not gods will for people to have sex, why even make it the only way of reproduction? all religions have condemned sex as a bad, bad thing, and nudity as well, and today sex is not viewed as such a holy action. i wont even get started about the fact that all religious leaders in all religions are male. talk about gender equality. right.:eyebrow:

nope. i think there is a god and she has nothing to do with the religions on the planet right now. i think there has to be a god until someone could prove otherwise (atheist think its the other way around) but this doesnt mean any of the religions can show us the way. existence of a god.. it makes too much sense and fills so much of the emptiness that science has not yet been able to explain. and after all, what is science anyway? we are exploring what has already been taught in the nature. lessons are not in some book, they are everywhere :)

all_i_want

there are many things you can assume and you would still be correct because someone cant disapprove of it... I need not give an example ..do I ? Think something weird..and no one can prove or disapprove it.. So many times if something cant be proved conclusively in last 2000 years.... its better to assume it/He/She doesnt exist.

>> fills so much of the emptiness that science has not yet

do you attribute anything unexplainable to God....or rather is your definition is God is someone who does all the unexplainable acts. Is Unknown God ?

>>she has nothing to do with the religions on the planet right

really glad about your this stance... :) thats what i call non-exclusiveness..

all_i_want said:
oh and also, notaneasything, id probably pass out if i didnt say this.. who says those three books give us the real answers? for all i know they were written hundreds years ago. especially bible, it was decided by an election between the cardinals for gods sake! i think religions are a very good way to manipulate people into the dominant beliefs on morals, right or wrong and so. they are by no means a road map to the truth. id say we will not find the truth till the day we die, but believing should do it until then. i believe in a god, i just think the books he supposedly put out are full of wrongs and mistake, therefore inherently not his. would god make any mistakes, you think?
:hmm: all_i_want, have you even read my previous posts? I think the one above goes into great detail about why I believe the bible to be accurate, authoritive and worth exploring. Not sure what you mean by 3 books?!?!? I assume what you have said about the bible being decided by election between cardinals is a reference to how the church resolved what was to be included in the 'canon' of the bible. This was not just a simple vote for what certain people liked, as the church grew it became necessary to delininate between what was believed to be scripture and what wasn't. Christian belief was under attack from many erroneous teachings that had sprung up and people needed to know what was in fact the truth about these things. It was a gruelling task and took many years, because for a long time the church oprerated out of homes with the scripture being passed on as letters being shared etc. Please check out the evidence I have already posted on why the bible can be trusted.

also i dont understand why islam is any less legitimate than christianity. they are both pretty dubious, especially considering the holy bible was not the original one, just another one of the hundreds of copies. the 1 copy cardinals of the time liked the most.
Again please see above

another thing.. why do men and women of religion have to be celibates? it doesnt make sense.. having a child, creation of another being is one of the holiest things i can think of. and god forbids his most loyal followers to do this? doesnt make sense. 'devotion to god' argument is inherently flawed, since if it is not gods will for people to have sex, why even make it the only way of reproduction? all religions have condemned sex as a bad, bad thing, and nudity as well, and today sex is not viewed as such a holy action. i wont even get started about the fact that all religious leaders in all religions are male. talk about gender equality. right.:eyebrow:
They don't have to be this way- these views are not biblically based nor essentially christian, they are cultural and they are certainly not views I (or my church for that matter) subscribe to. Sex is not bad, after all God created it as you have rightly said. Of course sex, like most other good things can be abused and misused. Perhaps some have been motivated by a desire to protect others from the effects of misused sexuality , and while their motivation is good - the result is bad. As for male leadership in christianity, there are many who believe as I do that women can hold any position in a church. Certainly there is no doubt that the bible places women on an equal footing with men, but some have misrepresented cultural references in scripture that refer to women as proscriptive and not descriptive. Similar to the issue of slavery. In the past some church leaders tried to claim the bible as endorsing slavery, because it speaks about how slaves should treat their masters and vice versa. This is only because it was written in an era when slavery was the norm- it never condones the practice, in fact it describes an apporach to life that places the same high value on all people. it is interesting to note that it was essentially christians who waged a campaign to rid the western world of slavery.

ok, lets say we take these texts as they are. still, there are a lot of things that dont make sense in it. concept of a god that needs worshipping just doesnt float my boat. why would the almighty 'force' his followers to worship him? why threathen them with 'hell'? and really, why create a place called purgatory (i think there was some way of reducing the days you spend there.. dont remember how though :eyebrow: could you explain the concept of going to hell with my quote below in mind?

also i still dont understand why islam is any less legitimate than christianity. the written records started the year its book started coming and lasted for all this time. if we are going to discuss historical accuracy those records are not any less accurate.

also, one thing i feel i should mention, regarding one of A_W's previous posts. i am not against devout christians or devout muslims. everyone is responsible of their own faith. i live in a predominantly muslim country and i know MANY people who dont
practice their religion by killing people and rock throwing or oppressing women. i think that is just a very wrong view attributed to a whole religion just cause it is practiced that way in fundementalist states. islam is just as peaceful as christianity, but after all, it depends what you get out of it.

talking about religious atrocities, do i need to mention MILLIONS of women burned at stakes by the church in the middle ages. those atrocities are just as vile as the ones that happen in iran or saudi arabia. any kind of religious fanaticism is dangerous.

there was one essay by bertrand russell.. he said, if one man came out and said he was the king of england because he is superior to the rest, people would put him in a mental institution. on the other hand, if he said people of his race or religion are superior than others, his people would rally around him. mass insanity.

all_i_want said:
anyway, all the religions, id guess, started with some kind of divine intervention. then, over the centuries, they became the religions they are today. all predominantly male, for some reason, and full of 'threats' against the 'non-believers' and the very concept i disagree the most, 'hell'. both in islam and christianity, hell was used by the clergy to bully people into doing things.

lets take hitler for example (he's more or less my fave example to explain this) did he go to hell? more or less every religion would say 'hell, yeah!' but really, what did he do wrong? did he do anything contrary to god's will? who on earth could do something contrary to GOD'S will? i know, freedom of choice, youd say. well, where is the freedom if you know youd do something and not what is prescribed? if its gods will to give its subjects the freedom of choice, it is not his choice to forever damn the souls of the ones who dont make the choice god would like.
'do this, or go to hell' i dont really have much of a choice do i?

thats only one problem i have with religions. dont even get me started on the needy, egomaniac god model they present to us. 'you have kneel before me five times a day' or 'you have to visit church every sunday'. the god i believe is not the kind that constantly 'needs' things from his subjects.

well, ok hitler, not going to hell, im sure a lot of people will disagree with it. i can see that. so, acrobat, what else do you disagree with?

I am a christian. This is what I believe...

God gave his son to us when we weren't following his teachings. Then Jesus died the most horrible death imaginable to free man of sin. The thing is, if one doesn't accept Christ as their savior, entrance into heaven is not granted. The New Testament was written for the sole purpose of teaching the world about Christ's teachings and ultimate sacrifice. It's not unfair for a God to wish his people to believe in him.

ok, i apologize beforehand if this offends you in any way, but some things are really bugging me.

why would god not let some of his children into heaven just because they didnt believe her? will she just say 'they shouldve known better'? where is forgiveness? where is the love?

so i should go to hell cause i dont believe in jesus? how bout a baby? god forbid, if a baby dies before she is baptized, she goes to a void? not into heaven? why? where is the justice in that? how bout the people who lived before jesus? did they all go to hell?

all_i_want said:
why would god not let some of his children into heaven just because they didnt believe her? will she just say 'they shouldve known better'? where is forgiveness? where is the love?

so i should go to hell cause i dont believe in jesus? how bout a baby? god forbid, if a baby dies before she is baptized, she goes to a void? not into heaven? why? where is the justice in that? how bout the people who lived before jesus? did they all go to hell?

First off, a disclaimer: I haven't read any of this thread but this last page, so I apologize ahead of time if I'm repeating information, or straying from the intent of this thread.

a_i_w, those are great questions, and they definitely should bug you. I do think they are questions that christianity and the bible at least try to address. Whether you believe these answers are true or not is an entirely different thing, but I don't think that Christianity just ignores your questions. I'd encourage you to investigate how the bible answers your questions.

I'll comment briefly on "why would god not let some of his children into heaven just because they didnt believe her?"

First off, this is a really good, and theologically tough question. One perspective that I've heard put out there is that it would be hell for someone to spend eternity with God (heaven), if they've made it clear through their life that they don't like, trust, or submit to God. This perspective would say that hell is just a matter of taking someone's choice during their life on earth ("I don't want to be with God and thus have to follow God's rules" and making that choice permanent (eternal separation from God is one biblical definition of hell). This perspective would say that God is giving people what they've chosen, rather than forcing them into something they despise (being in God's presence).

I don't know if you buy it or not, but that's one view.

Really, I think Jesus intended his teaching to be about way more than just what happens when you die. He talked much more about what happens in your life than where you end up. Christianity seems to focus so much on Heaven and Hell and that's it, when I think Jesus was about a lot more than just that.

Anyway, keeping asking the questions that bug you and look for the answers.

-Spiral

Last edited:
Indra,

My post was not to spite you.

I believe christianity today is in bad shape, an industry with its own pop stars, celebrities, a multi-million dollar industry. I REFUSE to listen to bands that label themselves as "Christians only".... Thank god for U2.-

Like I said it, I find it ironic that we are here discussing this on a U2 message forum. Whether you take that personally or not, is out of my hands. Surely isnt intended to spite.

Cheers,

Mark

the irony you seem to find sounds as if it stems from the fact that atheist U2 fans are, somehow, ignorant of the loosey-goosey Christian message of some of bono's lyrics. i don't find irony, i find it wildly appropriate that spiritual matters -- and atheisim is surely about spirituality, the absence of it, and some of the most well-versed on religion are atheists -- are discusses on a U2 forum.

for me, an agnostic, a U2 concert gives me precisely the feeling that, i imagine, one would get in heaven, or whatever lies beyond. the contradictory feelings of being alone yet together, singing songs that you've internalized and made unique along with 50,000 others who've done the same, collective and individual, flesh and spirit, feeling so insignificant yet so special to be a part of something so large. that such things can be achieved here on earth ... that's all i need to get me through the night. who needs God when you've heard "streets" in New York?

NotAnEasyThing said:

My point was simply that it seems to me that to say that you believe in God and then not to find out who or what that god is, seems lacking in any real meaning. .

I think you described a huge chunk of Australia. I know more Spiritualists than I do Christians. I dont know that they would agree with you about the "lacking in any real meaning"

NotAnEasyThing said:
The bible is the most remarkable book in history.

I disagree. There is an ancient book of Chinese medicine. I forget how old, the name of it, etc. Scientists are currently plowing through it bit by bit and are finding answers and/or assistance to answers to medical problems. I find this to be the most remarkable book.

Back
Top Bottom