The Athiest thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:macdevil: muhahaha, It's only a matter of time before I have all your souls for my own!

On a serious note, it pains me to see those who feel that they can brush off God with no consequence. As a devout Christian, and one that holds their beliefs more strongly than anything else in the world, it is my mission here on Earth to spread the knowledge of Christ. The thing is, it becomes harder and harder to do every day. I'm not going to try to convert any of you on here, because it seems your beliefs are as steadfast as mine.

I just hope that one day you all might be touched in some way by God.

Again, I do not mean to offend anyone here, but it's my responsibility as a son of God to try to spread awareness.

-Lance

Lancemc said:
:macdevil: muhahaha, It's only a matter of time before I have all your souls for my own!

On a serious note, it pains me to see those who feel that they can brush off God with no consequence. As a devout Christian, and one that holds their beliefs more strongly than anything else in the world, it is my mission here on Earth to spread the knowledge of Christ. The thing is, it becomes harder and harder to do every day. I'm not going to try to convert any of you on here, because it seems your beliefs are as steadfast as mine.

I just hope that one day you all might be touched in some way by God.

Again, I do not mean to offend anyone here, but it's my responsibility as a son of God to try to spread awareness.

-Lance

This may seem weird to some of you, seeings I have felt like the only one putting forward a contrary view in this thread, but I've got to admit that your post Lance, made me feel a little queezy too, and I'd suggest you post in the prostelyzing thread as well.

It just comes across kinda "superior". The fact that it pains you that someone can brush of God with no consequence gives the impression that others don't have the right to their point of view if it offends you. You say that you are a devout Christian, so you must be aware that Jesus strongest disdain was for the religious thugs of his day- the pharisees. They didn't tolerate people who disagreed with their rules either. The mission Jesus left to us was not one of banging people over the head with the bible until they agree to some doctrinal statement of beliefs but to love others deeply as people created in God's image. Of course the invitation should always be open to find out what it is that motivates our love, but this is how the bible puts it;
"Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you, but do it with gentleness and respect" 1Peter 3:15b-16

NotAnEasyThing said:

This may seem weird to some of you, seeings I have felt like the only one putting forward a contrary view in this thread, but I've got to admit that your post Lance, made me feel a little queezy too, and I'd suggest you post in the prostelyzing thread as well.

It just comes across kinda "superior". The fact that it pains you that someone can brush of God with no consequence gives the impression that others don't have the right to their point of view if it offends you. You say that you are a devout Christian, so you must be aware that Jesus strongest disdain was for the religious thugs of his day- the pharisees. They didn't tolerate people who disagreed with their rules either. The mission Jesus left to us was not one of banging people over the head with the bible until they agree to some doctrinal statement of beliefs but to love others deeply as people created in God's image. Of course the invitation should always be open to find out what it is that motivates our love, but this is how the bible puts it;
"Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you, but do it with gentleness and respect" 1Peter 3:15b-16

Yeah well put Notaneasything....when i did read what lancemc wrote, while i respect his right to say what he wants, it does make me shudder and kinda have a sick feeling.

Call it intolerance if ya want, but its just the way i feel.

I've almost become anti-religious in a sense. Particularly against christianity. I was reading through the book of psalms, and i came across psalm 21. I was strongly offended. I interpreted it as a violent attack on anyone who doesnt accept god. It talked about aiming arrows at people who didnt accept god and burning them in a furnace. I was shocked to say the least.

If this is what christianity and god is all about, its disgraceful and must be condemned.

NotAnEasyThing said:

.... The mission Jesus left to us was not one of banging people over the head with the bible until they agree to some doctrinal statement of beliefs but to love others deeply as people created in God's image. Of course the invitation should always be open to find out what it is that motivates our love, but this is how the bible puts it;

So why are people on this forum so bloody unwilling to address some things? I feel like I am going around in circles lately, all the Christian people on this forum who have previously held no hesitation in putting forth their views all disappeared into thin air as soon as I started my quest.

I'm not sure yet if it's more puzzling, insulting, frustrating or something to base an assumption on. It's not like I have much to go on here.

I think that a quick reading the texts of Mohammedanism will reveal some far darker streaks. I am a kuffir - worthy of death if one followed those texts exactly - and I am bloody proud of it.

Moses had nothing to do with God and there is no such thing as chosen people, Adamite man never existed and Genesis is false, the world was created from an accreation disk collapsing in with pressure waves and gravity ultimately leading to life on this planet, human beings are part of this.

Jesus Christ was a fraud, a reactionary who through fluke and favour became a messiah to those who wanted to believe, history was very kind to him.

Mohammed was an illiterate and unscrupulous bandit who's sexual tastes are objectionable. A thuggish despot who conquered lands and managed to established his meteorite worshipping, rock throwing, woman enslaving, Jew-killing cult of personality that demanded total submission on behalf of the subjegated masses.

I am not placing any religious belief above another, they are all equally illogical and at different times have all proved to be dangerous. Peaceful belief that doesn't interfere with the rights of people- not a problem. Violent and bigoted beliefs that seeks to crush individuality and exterminate those that stand in its way - no way Jose.

And I do not like the concept that so much of what the west stands for is wrong and that it must be supplanted with pure religious ideals, that the "cure" for the problems caused by atheism is religion (link)

Last edited:
I'm not trying to come across as superior in any way. And I already stated that I'm not trying to impose my beliefs on anyone here, just stating how I feel. So I think it's not as intolerant to say those things baout me as it would be for me to say that your beliefs are wrong, and I am the only one who is right, which I'm not saying at all.

intedomine said:

I've almost become anti-religious in a sense. Particularly against christianity. I was reading through the book of psalms, and i came across psalm 21. I was strongly offended. I interpreted it as a violent attack on anyone who doesnt accept god. It talked about aiming arrows at people who didnt accept god and burning them in a furnace. I was shocked to say the least.

If this is what christianity and god is all about, its disgraceful and must be condemned.

Hi intedomine,

The book of Psalms is a really interesting part of the Bible. Bono refers to it as the "Blues" of the Bible, because much of it contains the cries of people in desperate circumstances calling out to God. I am not surprised you say you found it shocking, at times I do too. Much of it is poetic, and many parts of it were in fact sung by God's people just like the church today sings hymns and choruses as an expression of worship. What I find most remarkable is that (if you believe an all powerful God has guided the formation of the Bible as I do) that these raw sometimes offensive, sometimes over zealous othertimes incredibly vulnerable or bordering on blasphemous heartfelt poems have been preserved for us to read today.

To me that says something very profound; that our Creator wants us to know that he understands that pain, passion, and depth of emotion that we as humans experience... and he is right there with us.

In reference to your specific comments about Psalm 21, it is a psalm attributed to David who went on to become King of Israel. He was looking to the future where as he he saw it, those who who were responsible for the injustices of his circumtance, and those who stood against his people would be dealt with by God. It is a difficult issue, and I do struggle with this one a bit myself. One thing that may help in understanding this passage, and others like it, is the differences between the Old and New Testaments. The israelites had a very limited view of God and his justice, they did not have much of a concept of life beyond death, and also saw things in kind of cause & effect relationship. ie. people disobey God- people punished. Now i think in someways the Bible does show God operating in this way on occassion (in the OT). Now while I find this a little difficult, I kind of have to ask myself, surely if anyone has the right to do this it is God. But as the story of God's dealing with people continues into the New Testament we find a growing revelation of his character. When Jesus rocks up, we are assured that God is not just a vengeful, harsh judge but a loving creator who has provided a way of restoring the broken relationship between him and his creation. This is not to say that these qualities are not present in the OT, as they certainly are. He is portrayed often as a jealous lover, as a gentle and caring father, even as a suffering servant ( to name just a few). However, the Israelites themselves didn't necessarily understand it all. Thus you get a guy like David saying things like "Go get em God" about his enemies.

Wow, this post went on a lot longer than I intended- sorry!

Angela Harlem said:

So why are people on this forum so bloody unwilling to address some things? I feel like I am going around in circles lately, all the Christian people on this forum who have previously held no hesitation in putting forth their views all disappeared into thin air as soon as I started my quest.

I'm not sure yet if it's more puzzling, insulting, frustrating or something to base an assumption on. It's not like I have much to go on here.

Angela, I am not quite sure which quest you are refering to. Maybe I haven't been around long enough to know the things that people have been unwilling to address. But please, if there is anything you want to ask me as a Christian I would only be too willing to try to answer.

Cheers!

coemgen said:
I'm curious as to what those who are athiests think about this story. Talk amongst yourselves.

Famous Atheist Now Believes in God

By RICHARD N. OSTLING, AP Religion Writer

NEW YORK - A British philosophy professor who has been a leading champion of atheism for more than a half-century has changed his mind. He now believes in God — more or less — based on scientific evidence, and says so on a video released Thursday.

At age 81, after decades of insisting belief is a mistake, Antony Flew has concluded that some sort of intelligence or first cause must have created the universe. A super-intelligence is the only good explanation for the origin of life and the complexity of nature, Flew said in a telephone interview from England.

Flew said he's best labeled a deist like Thomas Jefferson, whose God was not actively involved in people's lives.

"I'm thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins," he said. "It could be a person in the sense of a being that has intelligence and a purpose, I suppose."

Flew first made his mark with the 1950 article "Theology and Falsification," based on a paper for the Socratic Club, a weekly Oxford religious forum led by writer and Christian thinker C.S. Lewis.

Over the years, Flew proclaimed the lack of evidence for God while teaching at Oxford, Aberdeen, Keele, and Reading universities in Britain, in visits to numerous U.S. and Canadian campuses and in books, articles, lectures and debates.

There was no one moment of change but a gradual conclusion over recent months for Flew, a spry man who still does not believe in an afterlife.

Yet biologists' investigation of DNA "has shown, by the almost unbelievable complexity of the arrangements which are needed to produce (life), that intelligence must have been involved," Flew says in the new video, "Has Science Discovered God?"

The video draws from a New York discussion last May organized by author Roy Abraham Varghese's Institute for Metascientific Research in Garland, Texas. Participants were Flew; Varghese; Israeli physicist Gerald Schroeder, an Orthodox Jew; and Roman Catholic philosopher John Haldane of Scotland's University of St. Andrews.

The first hint of Flew's turn was a letter to the August-September issue of Britain's Philosophy Now magazine. "It has become inordinately difficult even to begin to think about constructing a naturalistic theory of the evolution of that first reproducing organism," he wrote.

The letter commended arguments in Schroeder's "The Hidden Face of God" and "The Wonder of the World" by Varghese, an Eastern Rite Catholic layman.

This week, Flew finished writing the first formal account of his new outlook for the introduction to a new edition of his "God and Philosophy," scheduled for release next year by Prometheus Books.

Prometheus specializes in skeptical thought, but if his belief upsets people, well "that's too bad," Flew said. "My whole life has been guided by the principle of Plato's Socrates: Follow the evidence, wherever it leads."

Last week, Richard Carrier, a writer and Columbia University graduate student, posted new material based on correspondence with Flew on the atheistic www.infidels.org Web page. Carrier assured atheists that Flew accepts only a "minimal God" and believes in no afterlife.

Flew's "name and stature are big. Whenever you hear people talk about atheists, Flew always comes up," Carrier said. Still, when it comes to Flew's reversal, "apart from curiosity, I don't think it's like a big deal."

Flew told The Associated Press his current ideas have some similarity with American "intelligent design" theorists, who see evidence for a guiding force in the construction of the universe. He accepts Darwinian evolution but doubts it can explain the ultimate origins of life.

A Methodist minister's son, Flew became an atheist at 15.

Early in his career, he argued that no conceivable events could constitute proof against God for believers, so skeptics were right to wonder whether the concept of God meant anything at all.

Another landmark was his 1984 "The Presumption of Atheism," playing off the presumption of innocence in criminal law. Flew said the debate over God must begin by presuming atheism, putting the burden of proof on those arguing that God exists.

Don't want to reduce this one because there's going to be more in his argument than what is present here. The major difficulty he's going to have to overcome is the same one that has plagued the argument from design from day 1:

He's going to have to show how his perception of organization NECESSARILY forces us to conclude that there is a God. Again, just because darwinism etc can't yet conclusively determine the origins of the universe doesn't mean that it WAS the product of a deity. If he does, it's a false dilemma.

No doubt his argument will be complicated, but we'll see..

NotAnEasyThing said:

Thank you so much for your well reasoned and respectful response Jon! I appreciate what you're saying about not simply settling for an insuficient and intellectually unsatisfying answer simply because a better (more cogent) arguement is unavailable. I can also agree with the problems with the "false dilemma" kind of arguement. Actually i find people who argue this way intellectually lazy.

But the question of "is there a God" seems to me, not to fall into this category. Either there is....or there isn't. And like any good scientist, isn't the best mode of operation working with the known facts and coming up with the best theory...even if it is still a theory. If you operate like you have said Jon, how would you do anything in life? What I mean is (for an example):
Will I bother getting out of bed today?
a) I could find my house as I remember it last night and it is safe to go and get breaky
or
b) The Cat may have grown into a giant fire breathing beast and eaten all the food in the house
or
c) The whole house may cave in on me if I even move
or d), e), f).....etc.

I know this is completely ridiculous but you get my point I hope. If we only ever make a choice to accept something as truth when all possible avenues have been explored we are rendered useless. To use my analogy before, I choose to get out of bed and make breakfast because based on my experience thus far, it seems very likely that my cat will still be sleeping harmlessly on the lounge and the house will probably have the strength to cope with a few footsteps down the hallway (not to mention I'm hungry!:laugh: ). That is the best theory (dare I say truth).

On the other side of the ledger, wouldn't it make more logical sense to test a good theory and judge it's validity based on that experience. In the case of the existence of God, I find it strange that people have trouble seeing evidence all over the shop. I guess it depends on how you approach the subject. For me, even the fact that we have the ability to critically debate, ponder, and process these arguements is itself an arguement for an intellegent creator. Don't you find the mind/conciousness a beautifully creative thing? And what about beauty/music/art/pleasure? Where do these fit in to a world that is devoid of God? Did we just evolve on our own to enjoy these creative (none essential facilties)? To me that is illogical.

But these questions were raise by Beli which seem to be common questions that atheists raise concerning God that they feel have no good answers:

Thanks for your reply. Not to be rude, but I can't spend a whole lot of time on here at once, just because of other commitments. I'm sorry about that. So, if you are interested in discussing this at further length, and I would very mush enjoy that, can I request that we narrow down the discussion and focus on each issue individually.

Here are some of the ideas I got from your post. Please feel free to edit this list so that I am not committing a straw man.

1) 'Theory'.

2) Argument from design (that God is evident in the design/organization of the planet and us as human beings.)

3) The logic of Lee Strobel (there is a lot of ground to cover here. what I suggest is that we discuss 1 section of his book at a time, beginning with his justification for the Bible as a reliable source of information. The reason for this is because the rest of his argument rests on this. If you find his logic weak during this argument, you're likely to find the rest of the book weak.)

Again, please feel free to edit this in any way you see fit or to add at your leisure or as issues arise. If it's possible, I kindly ask you to keep the topics as narrow as possible to make the discussion as efficient as possible. Also, I am about to take a couple weeks to spend time with my family so I cannot always reply right away. You can choose the topic we start with if you'd like. Is this a good idea to you? Please let me know and I will be glad to participate. I will also fully understand if you decide you're not interested or that you don't have the time. Kindest regards and happy holidays!

BTW. I used to play hockey and go to school in boston! Is the word 'szabo' stilll commonly used there??:wink:

Definitely traveling there to see U2 this time around, but GO HABS GO!!!:wink: :wink:

Ok all, have a great day/evening/morning.

Jon

Hey Jon,

Yeah, I'm quite interested in discussing these topics

Klink said:

1) 'Theory'.

2) Argument from design (that God is evident in the design/organization of the planet and us as human beings.)

3) The logic of Lee Strobel (there is a lot of ground to cover here. what I suggest is that we discuss 1 section of his book at a time, beginning with his justification for the Bible as a reliable source of information. The reason for this is because the rest of his argument rests on this. If you find his logic weak during this argument, you're likely to find the rest of the book weak.)
Jon

Regarding justification of the bible, there is a lot more around than just Strobel on this topic, is it ok with you to bring this stuff into the discussion?

And I have a lot on too in the next few weeks with Christmas/ new year etc. so like you, I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get on here and post. But that's ok, even if it takes some time.

Happy Christmas!

There is no evidence for intelligent design as a means of life on this planet, natural laws that have been identified are the key to unlocking the unkowns of the universe.

A_Wanderer said:
There is no evidence for intelligent design as a means of life on this planet, natural laws that have been identified are the key to unlocking the unkowns of the universe.

SO what caused the natural laws?:eyebrow:

And btw, what natural laws are responsible for beauty/art/pleasure etc.?

Last edited:
Art is in most instances the creation of the human brain, a tightly packed region of neurons where electrochemical interactions allow for concious thought. Pleasure is the release of neurochemicals to stimulate an emotional response and beauty is merly human beings appreciating things as they are in a manner that can be culturally subjective.

The natural laws of the universe are themselves properties of it. Where they come from is the question of where the universe comes from and there is no evidence that it was crafted exactly by a God. The anthropic based argument that the universe must be in balance for us to exist ergo it must be created is flawed in that the universe as we know it may have emerged through random chance and it is only because of this that we are here to observe it.

With absence of evidence I am not claiming that I know what crafted the universe, however I am saying that with what we know - the scientific facts - God is not the logical conclusion.

How does an atheist explain life then?

The water cycle, the food chain, excretory systems, red blood cells; all of them a result of a lucky shot.

I think not.
Please define it for me, what you are assuming is that all of these elements existed as soon as life existed. What you fail to grasp is that life is a complex and dynamic system and that the interactions between all of what you said can be explained in the context of evolutionary biolgy better than it can through divine intervention, the food chain is the interactions of life within an environment - the predator prey relationships that we find here are a driving force of evolution, it is a system built up over time through the appearance of different species of organism over time. The excretory system evolved over time too, from the extracelluar digestion in a gastrovascular cavity that you see in something like a cnidarian hydra which is very basic to that of an internal digestive tract which evolved as aminals became larger and developed more celluar layers.

I think that the formation of self-replicating macromolecules is a natural event that occurs where the right conditions are met. I also think that the evolution of life on our planet can be explained through natural processes - looking at life in all of its complexities today but denying the relative simplicity of it's origins is the problem, creationism does adequately explain the question - it simply excuses one from investigation.

3,700,000,000 - this is how long we are talking about here, this vast stretch of time during which life has existed on this planet is what I am talking about, surely it is possible to you that these natural processes of evolution that can be demonstrated in the lab and that are observed on a larger scale in the world around us could have driven the formation of life as we know it today.

A_Wanderer said:
Art is in most instances the creation of the human brain, a tightly packed region of neurons where electrochemical interactions allow for concious thought. Pleasure is the release of neurochemicals to stimulate an emotional response and beauty is merly human beings appreciating things as they are in a manner that can be culturally subjective.

The natural laws of the universe are themselves properties of it. Where they come from is the question of where the universe comes from and there is no evidence that it was crafted exactly by a God. The anthropic based argument that the universe must be in balance for us to exist ergo it must be created is flawed in that the universe as we know it may have emerged through random chance and it is only because of this that we are here to observe it.

With absence of evidence I am not claiming that I know what crafted the universe, however I am saying that with what we know - the scientific facts - God is not the logical conclusion.

A_Wanderer you have a marvelous grasp of the english language and I thank you for your response to my questions.

It may be just me, but I kinda get this impression you're working very hard to convince yourself. Do you realise how amazingly sad your description of pleasure sounds? "Pleasure is the release of neurochemicals to stimulate an emotional response" - is that really how you FEEL about pleasure. Have you never experienced the exhiliration of an orgasim? Have you not tasted the delicious sweetness of a fine chocolate? Have you not had the rush of excitment as your body hurtled down a roller coaster to name but a few.

As for Art, can you really reduce it's appreciation down to some reaction in a tightly packed region of neurons where electrochemical interactions allow for concious thought. Is that how you describe the euphoria of that moment in a U2 concert when the red glow and the shimmering sounds of a "Streets" intro starts up.

And if beauty is merly human beings appreciating things as they are in a manner that can be culturally subjective, I wonder if your partner (if you have one) likes the way you look at them?:wink:

I think you have missed my point completely. If we are simply the result of a cosmic accident emerging out of some primordial soup then why do we have these abilities- they have no useful application in terms of evolutionary theory. You are great at explaining the hows, just haven't touched on the whys.

In the same ways that you say "creationism does adequately explain the question - it simply excuses one from investigation" - my question to you is have you excused yourself from the investigation of these "whys".

Regards,
NotAnEasyThing

it is extremely unlikely that on avarage atheists are more friendly, loving, sane, positive, open minded etc etc people than christians, muslims or satan worshippers
and vice versa

because not as many satan worshippers post in fym they do have a better rep than christians though

Salome said:
it is extremely unlikely that on avarage atheists are more friendly, loving, sane, positive, open minded etc etc people than christians, muslims or satan worshippers
and vice versa

because not as many satan worshippers post in fym they do have a better rep than christians though

Not sure what your point is here Salome..can u explain?

As I guess what can only be labelled an agnostic, I still have to agree with A_W on that. I believe more in art than any religion, coincidentally and I honestly think that art in itself is a truly outbound motion. Everything is taken in, then churned out again to produce what we all admire and appreciate in given forms. It resembles a scientific explanation much more readily than a dreamy poetic one, as hard as it might be to reason. bugger, I'm sounding like an arse. This is just opinion, but we all agree regardless that the human brain is probably the most intricate and most difficult to understand organ of all. In all animals and living things, the human brain is beyond what we can really understand. Yet we always seem so hesitant to think that such a clinical and precise creation can be so flowery and poetic. We'd rather look at where the inbound causes the finished product as the true motivation and the actual thing of beauty.

I really fucked up explaining what I wanted to here :wink:

Angela Harlem said:
Yet we always seem so hesitant to think that such a clinical and precise creation can be so flowery and poetic. We'd rather look at where the inbound causes the finished product as the true motivation and the actual thing of beauty.

I really fucked up explaining what I wanted to here :wink:

:laugh: lol! You said it Angela! Did you notice that you called the brain a creation in a post where you were trying to agree with A_W that it was the opposite:wink:

Thanks for your thoughts though!

The point that I am making is that I am not a cosmic accident. I am the sum product of 3.7 billion years of life on this planet. Part of the most intelligent species ever to roam the Earth I am a human being, a sentient organism who can live its life and comprehend the universe in its brilliance. I am not the invention of an infinitely powerful deity, that solution lacks evidence, it runs contrary to what we see around us in the real world and I do not find this to be a problem at all. I find that there is nothing more enduring than the human spirt - the will to investigate and explore; to understand.

The questions of where we come from are important, and science - objective investigation - is how the answers are uncovered. I do not need to convince myself of evolution, I do not believe in evolution any more than I believe in gravity - I know that both occur, I can observe them occur - gravity by merely dropping a ball or looking at the moon in the sky or evolution by looking at fossils, the vast ammount of ancient life on this planet that bears reference for what we see today.

These things that you speak of are useful attributes that arose in the context of natural selection. Emotions are very powerfull, and they most certainly evolved through regular process. The advantages of emotion are things like the ability to care and rear young - the attatchment between a mother and child is in large part caused by hormones. Emotion is a critical part of social interaction, social interaction allows for mutually beneficial arrangements between members of the same species that will increase the chances of survival and reproduction, it was theses highly advanced communication skills that enabled man to spread around the globe.

To answer your question exactly; human beings posess these abilities partly through random chance; the mutations and behavioral changes that were adopted over time and partly because they enabled our ancestors greater odds of survival and reproduction - these processes alone can drive the emergence and sucess of new attributes in organisms down the generations. Divine intervention is not required if one begins an objective investigation based on the evidence at hand.

I feel, I live, I love and all that - the explanation of such events does not detract from them in any way.

To deny the existence of a deity is not to deny the existence of my humanity.

Last edited:
Ah! I'm bogged down with 3 lines of thought, barely grasping even mine, let alone both your thoughts as well :D

I've had a quick re-read and while this is still fresh (? ha!) in my mind, I want to try one more stab at this lol.
The brain is a creation/organism/whatever. God might have designed it, science could have. As I dont know, I cant offer much more on that. No matter who or what was responsible, it is probably the most remarkable 'thing' to ever exist. I see it as a 'tool' for creating some of the most incredible things we can ever know. It seems the differences in this line of the discussion, are where we view those incredible things as having come from. in a way...I'm losing this thin grasp here lol..You said can we really reduce it down to [insert your description]. Is it really reducing it though? The process the human brain goes through to give us these incredible highs or utter exhiliration is in itself incredible. We take in the influence from outside us and around us, be it a fine chocolate, the image of a sun set, an orgasm lol, and it's our brain that allows us to react as we do. Without our brains being there, and taking it in, is it still as remarkable? ...I think I'm losing the gist again....lol

A_Wanderer said:
The point that I am making is that I am not a cosmic accident. I am the sum product of 3.7 billion years of life on this planet. Part of the most intelligent species ever to roam the Earth I am a human being, a sentient organism who can live its life and comprehend the universe in its brilliance. I am not the invention of an infinitely powerful deity, that solution lacks evidence, it runs contrary to what we see around us in the real world and I do not find this to be a problem at all. I find that there is nothing more enduring than the human spirt - the will to investigate and explore; to understand.

The questions of where we come from are important, and science - objective investigation - is how the answers are uncovered. I do not need to convince myself of evolution, I do not believe in evolution any more than I believe in gravity - I know that both occur, I can observe them occur - gravity by merely dropping a ball or looking at the moon in the sky or evolution by looking at fossils, the vast ammount of ancient life on this planet that bears reference for what we see today.

These things that you speak of are useful attributes that arose in the context of natural selection. Emotions are very powerfull, and they most certainly evolved through regular process. The advantages of emotion are things like the ability to care and rear young - the attatchment between a mother and child is in large part caused by hormones. Emotion is a critical part of social interaction, social interaction allows for mutually beneficial arrangements between members of the same species that will increase the chances of survival and reproduction, it was theses highly advanced communication skills that enabled man to spread around the globe.

To answer your question exactly; human beings posess these abilities partly through random chance and partly because they enabled our ancestors greater chances of survival. Divine intervention is not required if one begins an objective investigation based on the evidence at hand.

I feel, I live, I love and all that - the explanation of such events does not detract from them in any way.

To deny the existence of a deity is not to deny the existence of my humanity.

Please excuse me if you thought that I was discounting your humanity- I was trying to remind you of it.

Natural selection does not really explain the things I was refering to- and it was not simply emotion. For instance, how do you think the first living being that appreciated art got to? Like how did it get from not appreciating art to appreciating it? I can't really see an incremental series of steps there. And why? How does that help the species to thrive?

Also how are you not a cosmic accident? Doesn't 3.7 billion years just makes you an even larger accident or series of amazing coincidences if you hold your views on the origin of life. You say yourself that we exist partly through random chance.

By the way you have a much stronger commitment to the theory of evolution than most evelutionary scientists I have struck. Most will not claim it as a completely infalliable theory- that requires a fair bit of faith. Incidently I don't see evolution and creation as 2 mutually exclusive propositions.

The whys still have not been adequately explained.

I find that there is nothing more enduring than the human spirt - the will to investigate and explore; to understand.

I wonder where this desire comes from?
:wink:

Angela Harlem said:
Ah! I'm bogged down with 3 lines of thought, barely grasping even mine, let alone both your thoughts as well :D

I've had a quick re-read and while this is still fresh (? ha!) in my mind, I want to try one more stab at this lol.
The brain is a creation/organism/whatever. God might have designed it, science could have. As I dont know, I cant offer much more on that. No matter who or what was responsible, it is probably the most remarkable 'thing' to ever exist. I see it as a 'tool' for creating some of the most incredible things we can ever know. It seems the differences in this line of the discussion, are where we view those incredible things as having come from. in a way...I'm losing this thin grasp here lol..You said can we really reduce it down to [insert your description]. Is it really reducing it though? The process the human brain goes through to give us these incredible highs or utter exhiliration is in itself incredible. We take in the influence from outside us and around us, be it a fine chocolate, the image of a sun set, an orgasm lol, and it's our brain that allows us to react as we do. Without our brains being there, and taking it in, is it still as remarkable? ...I think I'm losing the gist again....lol

Nah, i think I get what you're saying Angela. To me though, the obvious question seems if there is some slight possibility that there is a creative force behind it all (as seems pretty straight forward imho) isn't it worth trying to find out. And wouldn't it make sense that such a creator would make that possible? And if there isn't a creator, then what have you lost in trying to find out?

And I think it is reducing things to describe them simply in biological terms when I have experienced them to be something beyond just that.

Last edited:
4 centuries of investigation does not a complete picture make.

There is no complete theory of life, there are various theories that can often be applicable in particular circumstances. There is no need for God in this, there is no need to actively work to deny the influence of God in biology because God is a negligable element that cannot be proven or disproven.

Evolution is a fact, over the generations changes are taken up into the gene pool and the frequency of their expression can increase or decrease depending on the population pressures - this occurs and the evidence that we have for it gives it a very large confidence level. Now there is the fact, the scientific theory is how this can be explained, be it natural selection, puntuated equallibrium or any manner of theories regarding the mechanisms that drive evolution. Likewise gravity is a fact, the theories to explain it can be improved as tools of investigation are increased. We have gone from a clockwork view of a newtonian universe to the concept of a fixed speed of light with general relativity - the theory to explain gravity has changed but that has not altered the fact that gravity exists.

There is no God, look around there is no divine intervention, miracles do not happen and the world is a harsh and dangerous place. I do not believe in God and I most certainly do not justify my thoughts because of God or lack therof the concept that atheists are always seeking belief by not believing is not one that is proposed by atheists rather by people who believe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom